1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project | NOVO mini | Update 2015-12-16 | 100% FINISHED

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Ygd3n, 12 Sep 2014.

1. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Thank you!

2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Looking Good.
    Nice clean build, nice to see it all come together from scratch; I'd never be able to get the correct mobo/IO alignment right!

What thickness of aluminium sheet did you use for the side panels?

3. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Thank you!.. It's not that perfect in the I/O allignment. Still have to trim the edges so the motherboard slides in better with the screwholes. But this is the far hardest thing i ever did with any of my projects. But hey.. I made it all by myself. So I'm quite happy with that.

All sheets are 2mm thick. Just to have the right thickness for thread screws etc.

Glad that you like what I create! :) / ygd3n

4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Thanks for the info, I have some 2mm Alu sheet to try but wanted to know if it was the right sort of gauge to use.
    I want to make the panels lighter than the current steel ones, and keep the strength/rigidity.
    Good luck with your build, I'll be watching.

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Cool to see sweet renders & it being made home DIY style & it coming along as good. :clap:

6. -MisterX-

-MisterX- Minimodder

Coming along nicely! Who needs CNCs when you got a dremel and some files:dremel:

7. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

I just using thick plates because I like when things are sturdy! But I think it's individual and not whats "best".

I hope you see the difference between the renders and the actuall case ;) But.. I knew that I was going to build it different. Because I always find something to change and improve! Great that you like it!

Thanks mate! Who need big machines when you got a pair of hands? right ?! :D

Razer2007 likes this.
  8. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

This is genius! have rep!

9. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Thank you.. Yeah, you don't want to scratch the aluminium, and the material is so weak so It don't need much force to damage :)

10. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Very nice work on this. Its nice to see someone else who can get it done without having to commercially outsource the work. Not saying there is anything wrong with doing so, but I have to respect good old elbow sweat. I also find that making the backpanel and motherboard tray to be a lot of work as it has to be just right in order for the MB to fit correctly.

11. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Oh, thank you! Yeah. I admire all who making thier own stuff, either by big machines or small handtools.

But It's sure something, making it all with handtools, try getting is so precise as possible. It's a learning processes.

And the motherboardtray has been a pain in the A**, but. Maybe some trimming on the edges whould get it to fit better.

Thank you once again, very uplifting comment! /ygd3n

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Get some magnetic rubber vice jaws. They're dead cheap:

[​IMG]

13. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

That's too easy ;) thanks for the advice!

14. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Why have I never seen those? I should have gotten a pair a long time ago. Ebay time...

15. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Hello. During the day I've trimmed the motherboard tray and a aluminum profile that is attached to the frame. Had to do this because I noticed that the graphics card "I/O-plate" hit the edges when I tried to fit it into place.

Now I hope I have solved that problem. Will try to make some time tomorrow to assemble the components. Just to see if it fits correct. Also trimmed the I / O panel and PCI holes for a little nicer finish.

Shall trim and sand it abit more.. But now I'm just trying to get everything to fit in well and everything should match before I start anything else.

[​IMG]

Bought these small handfiles, Great when it's hard to trim where you want to trim.. And get the edges perfectly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see I slipped a bit with the pen! But it went well anyway haha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will not be visible once I get everything in place. The main thing is its function.

Must apologize that I have not done so much. Have been on a "snowmobile vacation" during New Year. So I did'nt have the possibilites to do something. Hope you have a great evening and see you guys in the next update / ygd3n

16. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Small update!

Hello. Again with a small update on the build and some sleeving. Goes a bit slow now with the construction. I have been very tired lately, after all this holidays that have been.

But'll try to focus a bit more in the project for now.

Today, I have tested to insert the components in the case. So they whould fit into place. Which is good I do often. So I know if some holes are too small or I hit some corners with a component etc.

So now I know what needs to be done.

* Trim the egdes up more so the graphics card comes down entirely in place
    * Cut out holes for the CPU cooler's backplate
    * The I / O panel holes need to be trimmed up a bit more for the I/O shield to slide into place better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really must try to get a better camera. Or better lighting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8 pin connector was unfortunately not as good as the others.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also designed the mounting plate for the PSU, Cut that out this week sometime. And all the other parts.

Have a nice evening, see you in the next update / ygd3n

17. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Small update!

Hello everyone. Just a minor update on the project.

Have this weekend spent some time on cutting out the PSU intake hole in the front of the case. And the motherboardtray hole for the cpu-cooler.

[​IMG]

Also, I made the SFX PSU mountingplate.

[​IMG]

More updates comming soon, Just went back too work this week after the christmas break, So I don't have as much spare time right now. But, I'll try make as much as I can.

18. flix

flix Minimodder

nice work :)

19. KrunchR

KrunchR What's a Dremel?

Really nice project.

20. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys!