1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project | NOVO mini | Update 2015-12-16 | 100% FINISHED

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Ygd3n, 12 Sep 2014.

1. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

I'm a participant in MOTM!!

Hey guys. I know I have been a bit lazy lately with the project. I will finish it. So don't worry.

I currently working on measuring the case and make a new 3D modell of the case. So I can more easily work with the case in 3D instead of cutting things, and add stuff that maybe whould'nt fit etc.

So this took a while but I think I could get things done more quickly now when I don't have to think more then twice before I cut things. Because I only use handtools and machines, and the details and panels took a long time making.

Hope you understand me, I don't want to make any big mistakes as I did with my old project.

[​IMG]

I will continue add every detail. So I have the whole case in 3D modell, and all measures.

Oh yeah.. One more thing, I heard from a friend today that I was nominated to the MOTM. So I had to check it out for myself. And I'am so thankfull. It's an honor just to be nominated. Never though any of my builds whould make it.

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/mod...mod-of-the-month-january-2015-in-associatio/5

This really made my day. Have a nice one you too. See you next update / Ygd3n

2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Congrats on the MOTM nomination, lots of home brew aluminium goodness going on.

3. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Thank you!.. Yes, alot home brewing!

Aluminium is a fantastic material to work with.

4. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

24-pin cable is finally done!

Took a while, But today I decided to finally finish the cable. Wasn't so hard that I imagine.

The result could be better. More even heatshrink whould be nice though. But I'm quite satisfied with the result.

What do you guys think ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now It's only the SATA connectors left. So I'll try making them asap, but first I have to work on the case.

Another update coming tommorow. Good night! / ygd3n

5. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Update!

Hello guys. Wanted to make an update so you don't forget about this project!

What I did this update Is mounting some of the panels. The front and the bottom. And also mounting the PSU mount. It looks quite good to be honest. Now I really feel like the case is coming along just fine.

Drilled some holes and thread them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My little Yaskawa Motoman robot is with me always when I'm building (I work as a welding robotics operator, and I recently finished my robotics education)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to cut out from the PSU cover to get all the cables through.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the inside will be the most intressting. When it's finally done and I'll install all the components. I also think I'll have a good airflow In It too.. What do you guys think ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okey, that's all for me folks.

For the next update I'll be focusing on sleeving the SATA cables. Trim the edges on the PSU cover. Drill holes and thread them, on every panels. Dust filter to the PSU air intake. Mount the front and the powerbutton. Oh, almost forgot that. The powercable has to me mounted, and drilled a hole in the backpanel for the powercable.

See you next update. / ygd3n

6. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Added a new video card to the build as I was not really happy with the previous GTX 970

This card is made by Manli together with OcUK staff and user "Gibbo". Have a cooler and PCB from a GTX 980 reference card from Nvidia. Better components and better coils for reduced coilwhine. Really pleased with this one.

I did sell the other one and bought this instead. And I have talked with my sponsor from Minimalistic pc's/ about the change, and he was ok with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Hello. During the Saturday I spent some time to finish the PSU sleeving. However, I did'nt get any pictures of that right now. But that comes later when I had problems with the fan in the PSU. The cable had been torn off when I assemble It and I had to open It up and re-solder the cable.

Today I focused a little bit more on the case. So there I mounted a chassis connector for the power cable and drilled and tapped for the top and side panel.

Have one more thing to do. I have to trim down the feets on the case so It gets more level, It's a bit wobbly right now. Otherwise, it feels very sturdy, now that nearly all the panels are where they should be mounted. Not so much wobbling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here I mounted the chassis connector for power. The cable to the PSU and to be soldered and sleeved next update.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drilled, tapped and countersunk every hole on the side panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you may see the bottom left a small chink between the rear panel and side panel. This should also be fixed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dust filter for the power supply should be installed in the next update.

This all for me today. The next update will probably come up with some more goodies.

* Start Button
    * Power Cable
    * Front panel
    * Sidepanel and hopefully the sidepanel window

Have a wounderfull sunday // ygd3n

8. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Looking good! Really timely piece there, I have just bought a Be Quiet SFX PSU, and am looking how to fit it and a 120mm fan in the front of my case mod; there's your case with the exact configuration to help my design.
    Thanks, keep up the good work, good progress there.

9. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Thank you, and you're welcome. It is a 140mm fan hole in the front. :)

10. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Awesome design! This looks bit similar to my Strobe -project. Just realized how long it has been since my last update. :duh:

Really interested to see this one finished. Keep up the good work! :thumb:

11. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Late update

Hello! Late update. Did some work the past sunday, powerbutton mounted, and the "SSD-mounting-plate"

Starting to feel now that Sunday is a perfect day like when you do not really have any other things to do. Then it is nice to relax and train the brain with some solutions to problems.

Here is "SSD plate" which is mounted under the motherboard plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can see where it's fitted!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Powerbutton assembly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pre-drilled first with a 2.5mm drill bit, then 4mm and then 9mm, then I took and drilled with a conedrill which are of HSS-type steel and for between 9-20mm holes. However, the powerbutton is only 16mm so this was perfect.

Really nice feeling to drive through a drill with perfect speed and feed. And get the perfect metalchips from the cutting blades.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I took and trimmed the edges with this wonderful 40-50$ gadget. Really sharp countersunk tool.. The brand is DORMER. Here we're talking quality. Really nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The powerbutton is from ELFA.se and is a 16mm stainless steel vandal proof momentary button.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So .. That's it for me today and hope you had a pleasant reading. And do you have any questions then just quote me.

12. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Nice progress, looking good!

13. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

Love the ssd mount
    - but it seems as a bothersome solution if at any point you need to exchange or replace a disk...

14. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Yeah, It's fair easy to mount and dismount the SSD's. But my idea with the powersata that I sleeved came completely ruined when I saw that the L-shaped powersata concact was upside down.

While I was sleeving it I thought It through many times how I whould be placing the connectors and the SSD's to have a nice fit... But.. I guess that how it is. You make misstakes.

I'll see how I sort that out.

15. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Hello. During this "modding-Sunday" as I like to call it I mounted all panels on the case. So now everything should be in place for further test fitting the components.

Locking module that I made is a little out of an emergency solution when the fingers were faster than the brain when I made the rear panel. The idea was that making holes and thread the part that sticks out before I bent it. But in the heat of the moment I did'nt think of it.. So.. this might be the solution instead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll bust a few washers or spacers so the pieces do not get so bent when tightening them. But think this does the trick to keep the graphics card in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I feel the case as it's quite complete. The next step is to try to arrange the plexiglass / acrylic or something alike. Have not decided what material yet, and how it is processed. Then I would like to have it milled on the edges to make it go flush with the side panel.

I'll try assemble the components next week and see if everything fits as it should. Have some work left also with the rear panel. Need to even out some edges and sharpen up because it did'nt suit very well last time I tried installing the components.

Have a nice sunday / ygd3n

16. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Hello all you followers.

I have a little more fun update for you today since I didn't have the time for the regular update last sunday. Yesterday, I managed to fit all the components inside the case again and it looks really nice.

I also did this:

* Shortened the internal power cable
    * Vinyl on the SSD's
    * Powerswitch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The SSD's fit nicely and I'm very happy with the sleeve in between. However, I had to flip one of the SSD's, so that's a mistake I'll have to live with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next update will be solely focusing on the polishing, grinding and cleaning of all the aluminum parts.
    Although, this can take some time as I'm still waiting for answers from various firms.

Have a wounderfull tuesday/ ygd3n

17. Supercluster

Supercluster I dream in G-code

Very sturdy and clean looking! :thumb:
    Have you decided on powder/anodizing/painting yet? (and since you like brushing, you can always brush it and then anodize it for durability and perhaps color)

18. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Oh darn. Forgot to mention that I spoken to various firms that anodize, powdercoat etc about it. So. Waiting for answers.

Hopefully anodizing. But If that is too expensive or if the material can't be anodized. I'll have to go with powdercoating.

Only the frontpanel will be brushed. Because all the other panels are way to scrached up. So I'll sand all that down and maybe be able to get the aluminum parts in good shape.

19. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

To secure the graphics card, why don't you just drill a 2.7 mm. hole and tap it with a 3 mm threading tap?

20. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

As I wrote earlier..

"Locking module that I made is a little out of an emergency solution when the fingers were faster than the brain when I made the rear panel. The idea was that making holes and thread the part that sticks out before I bent it. But in the heat of the moment I did'nt think of it.. So.. this might be the solution instead."

I was intended to make holes first and tap them. But I made a misstake. And it was hard to make it afterwards.