1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: nut case

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by zachjowi, 7 May 2006.

1. boof

boof What's a Dremel?

No, this is incorrect. The pins and fins in commercial waterblocks, while having the side effect of slowing down the water flow, are there to create a greater surface area for the water to contact, allowing more heat to transfer.

Also, the amount of heat taken away by the watercooling is the same regardless of the speed of the water. If the water is moving slowly, then it may remove more heat, but it will go through the radiator fewer times. However, if the water is moving more rapidly, it may remove less heat, but it will go through the radiator a greater number of times.

2. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

By your logic, if slower water absorbs more heat than fast water, shouldnt slower water dissapte heat more in the rad?

3. boof

boof What's a Dremel?

That would make sense. But faster water would also go through the rad more times.

4. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

so, even if it goes through more times, the faster it goes through, the less heat will dissapate from it. Im sure there is some middle ground with marginally better results than the est, but i bet the point is so moot.

But what do i know? I dont run WC anyways :)

5. boof

boof What's a Dremel?

LOL. I actually run a Swiftech Apex. But yea, the main performance increase comes in head pressure. This is why pumps such as the D5 outperform AC pumps with lesser head but higher flow.

6. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

and this is why there are high and low flow systems :D

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

What about you re-build the design using copper. Run something like Prime95 with both of the blocks attached (one after another of course ;) ) and compare the temps? :)