Oh no! Not another one! (Because all of a sudden numerous computer desk desks have popped up)Scratch-build by Journeyer This project was born in stages, but it was born as a result of love – surely. I first had a go at getting a project started some years ago, but that one died due to poor planning and poor time management. These days, whilst my two year old twins certainly take a lot of my time and attention, I do have more time on my hands to get busy modding – I’m also better at planning it. I’d been thinking about doing something like this for quite some time, and I had just started designing it in Sketchup when I noticed this. That gave rise to a good bit of performance anxiety, but glorious as L3P's work was I still wanted to make my own. So I completed my Sketchup design to my satisfaction whilst leaving a few of the details open to be decided upon as construction commenced. Hardware The hardware that’s going into this desk is the hardware in my signature, though I am tempted to swap the 285s for a 680 or two – we’ll see. Everything will be watercooled, and apart from my already well established external CPU/GPU loop (which some of you may have seen here) I will be installing a second internal loop. For this second loop however, I am still missing a few bits – mainly the blocks and the reservoir . Still needed Chipset block. Mosfet block. RAM block. Reservoir. A bunch of compression fittings, or push-in fittings (my sketchup design uses solid pipe instead of tubing, we'll see if I can actually realise this). decision regarding the power switch. More brass. Wire sleeving. Piping, or tubing depending on my final decision regarding cooling loops. And probably more... SPONSORS I am honored and grateful to add Noctua as a sponsor. They have agreed to provide some fans for me at a generous discount, and I'm looking forward to have a look at them as soon as they arrive. Thank you Noctua. I am proud and excited to be able to add Apem as a sponsor. They have agreed to support me by providing me with two capacitive touch switches, and I am terribly excited to have a look at them as soon as I have them in hand. Have a look at their various products; they make some cool and interesting stuff. Thank you very much Apem, and a special thank you go out to Hans-Petter in Product Marketing. I truly appreciate it. Let the building commence So, without any further ado, let’s get started (please excuse the poor photos, but for now I’ve had to take them using my phone as the battery for my digital camera refuses to hold a charge anymore and I need to get a new one. I promise better photos as this project goes along). My computer desk is an old IKEA model that looks like this: As I did not want to build a new desk from the ground up, I decided early on that I would instead modify my current desk into something that would house my computer and, if possible, look the part as well. And even better; we have two of these desks, which means I can work on one whilst using the other for my computer until the new is ready. Excellent. Sketchup design completed, materials purchased (though I’m still missing quite a few bits and pieces, and some material stock) and work could begin. So, time to get modding... First step is to remove the desk top from the frame. Then I got out some stand-in parts and laid them out onto the plate in roughly the places they will be finally situated just to check placement and potential problems. Then I proceeded to mark out the area to be cut. Now it was time to move the plate outside and get the jigsaw and the drill. A bit rough, let's get the sander... That's better. Any irregularities still present will be sorted once all the side-panels are mounted and fitted. Speaking of which, it was now time to start making the side panels. The desktop plate is a 20mm MDF plate, so it is quite solid. I will make the walls using 18mm pinewood panels, and the whole thing will eventually be stained and given a healthy layer of clearcoat that will hopefully be polished to a shine. Pine, being quite soft, is easy to work with and easy to cut – particularly with my band saw. My design includes a desktop that slightly slants downwards from the rear end to the front. There is a 2cm drop from the back to the front, and as such I had to cut all the panels with this in mind. Splitting the panels lengthwise, and at an angle, was a simple job for my band saw, and as I cut the panels slightly larger than needed I only had to sand them down a bit afterwards. As this process involved lots of running to and fro the bandsaw, and of sanding I did not spare time for photographing it. However, once the panels were more or less sized properly I started test-fitting them to the plate. Most of the panels cut and sized more or less properly, it was time to fit them to the plate. Test fitting first showed that a couple of the panels would need to be sanded a bit more to fit perfectly together, but I had anticipated this so it’s no big thing. It’s better to have a few of the panels a bit larger than they need to be rather than having them turn out smaller.