1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project "Olivia" - Update 21-05-2011

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Shattriath, 6 May 2011.

?

Where to place the reservoir?

Poll closed 13 May 2011.
  1. On the cable managemant thing

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. On top of the case side by side with the radiator

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Shattriath

Shattriath New Member

Hi there guys.

Well. First of all. This is my first casemod and i have VERY limited tools available. So please be patient with the updates :D :dremel:

Okay. Here goes. One day i got the amazing idea that i wanted watercooling. So i started measuring my case. At that time it was a Fractal Design Define R3. But the case wasn't big enough for what i wanted. So i went hunting for a new case. At first i wanted a used (big surprise here!) Corsair 800D :clap: But then a guy came up with the case i have now. A Lian Li PC-V1110A.

I almost instantly bought it as i could see a LOT of potential of a future casemod project. Even though it's a mid tower it is almost as big as a full tower.

[​IMG]
    The outside of the case

[​IMG]
    The inside. A DVD inside for size comparison.

And now to the ideas i have.

- Cutout for a window in the sidepanel - Done!
    - Engrave and bend the plexi (have not recieved it yet :duh: )
    - Find/make a solution to fasten some plexi INSIDE the case
    - Make a top hole for a 240/360 rad (what would you go for?)
    - Figure out where to mount the reservoir

And then some pictures of the work i've done allready

[​IMG]
    I started marking where i wanted the window.

[​IMG]
    The i made some holes to make it easier to cut.

[​IMG]
    DINNER TIME :clap:

[​IMG]
    Ofc my daughter Olivia wanted to play instead of eating her dinner :eyebrow:

[​IMG]
    Then the window is cut out

Then my idea of the plexi inside the case

[​IMG]
    Explenation (spelling??): The lower part where i painted white is where the HDD's and PSU are. I wanted that to be hidden as there is litterally NO room for cable management behind the motherboard tray or anywhere else. So i've ordered some opal white plexi to mount there. Then the idea is to engrave my daughters name, Olivia, on it in a fancy font of some kind. How to highligt the engraving and what color isn't decided yet. Please make suggestions!

The "tray" under the motherboard tray is planned to be covered by black plexi. The 5,25" rack have to be covered too, but i haven't decided yet if it have to be black or white.

Then onto the white part ON the motherboard tray. This is where it gets exiting. The plan is to bend some plexi in a C-shape. Then the opening of the "C" will be at the front of the motherboard tray to hide cables through. Smart thinking :idea:

The to my ideas for mounting the watercooling:

The radiator should be in top of the case. Either outside og inside the case. Not decided yet. Further more i don't really know if i'm going to get an 240 or 360 rad. I have plenty of space for a 360, but is it enough to cool CPU and 2x Nvidia 280GTX? If so i go that way. Or else i maybe go for 2x 240 rads and mount them in a not so normal way.

I have some doubts on where to place the reservoir so i was hoping you could help me here:

1. Placing it on the cable management thing inside the case
    2. Placing it outside the case side by side with the radiator

I don't know if it have any effect of placing it on the outside of the case, but i think it could maybe look sweet. What do you think?

The pump isn't decided where to be mounted yet as it depends on where i place the reservoir.

Well.. I think that was it for now. Let me know what you think and please subscribe! :clap:

/Kenneth

Last edited: 21 May 2011
  2. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don New Member

looking forward to this Kenneth :D

mod on :D

3. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

If you feed your daughter "Golden Honey Wheat" - I'm kinda happy she's playing instead of digesting dinner! :lol:

Great start to this project! :)

4. Shattriath

Shattriath New Member

I do asrock, stiven:-D

Haha. I'm not feeding my daughter with the beer. That was MY dinner, angle_do.

Update: my plexi haven't arrived so i called the company. Frysere extrodinary vist right now, but they wow send it spray. And i just got my track and trace number. So no koste before monday:-(

5. Shattriath

Shattriath New Member

Thanks, Stiven. Looking forward to see the finished result myself :)

Haha. That's not what im feeding my daughter. That's MY dinner :clap: She got mashed potatoes and milk :thumb:

And thanks :)

Update: Didn't recieve the plexi today, so i called the company. They were extraordinary busy at the moment, so they were one day behind schedule. Thankfully i got my track and trace number this afternoon. So it'll arrive on monday. So no no plexy work this weekend = less updating the thread :waah: Until then i'm seaching for a 114/117mm holesaw to cut out the fanholes on the top.

6. cchr

cchr Member

i'd probably go for a 360 rad, but you should see if you actually need it (i.e. cool only the cpu or gpus as well)
    if you go for a 240 rad, depending on your psu size you could fit it at the bottom.
    also, depending on how many hdds you have, you could also place it vertically on the front panel, below the 5.25 bays.
    if you go for a 360, i dont see any room for it, except at the top.
    as far as the pump is concerned, you should first decide where the rad will go and see from there where there will be room for it, and where it would be best for it to go.

cheers

7. Shattriath

Shattriath New Member

Thank you, for your advises. I think i'll go for a 360 rad to start with. I will cool CPU (2500K @ 4,8Ghz) and 2x Nvidia GTX280 SLi :)

Got a little update too. The tray underneath the motherboard tray have been roughly bended. Dont have the time to get it perfect today, but you'll get the idea of what im doing :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    There you see the edge have been bended

[​IMG]
    The tool i have been using for the bending. Kinda hard for your fingers. So i do NOT recommend using this method!:wallbash:

That was a little update for today. Now i'm going to get drunk and have a hangover tomorrow :clap: And i'm looking forward to monday where my plexi arrives :clap:

Have a good weekend guys :rock:

8. Shattriath

Shattriath New Member

Wooaaa! Something went wrong with my prevously posts :O Sorry for that:eyebrow:

9. Shattriath

Shattriath New Member

A tiny little update:

I recieved my plexi today:clap:

I was going to use my girlfriends hairdryer to heaten it up, and then bend it. I was thinking it was hot enough because it was a 2kW. But sadly it wasn't.

So now i'm sitting and waiting for my daughter to wake up, so i can feed her and then take her for a walk out in my hardware store to buy a heatgun + 1 or 2 90defree angles.

Stay tuned for pictures :D

10. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

Heat guns are savage, use a sheild (couple of bits of sacrificial wood / plastic) of some sort to protect the part of the plexi you don't want to bend (or blister or scorch)

11. Shattriath

Shattriath New Member

#10 I'm going to press the plexi between 2 layers of wood. I think that'll give a cleaner bend too? Actually i have never tried to bend plexi before :D

12. Shattriath

Shattriath New Member

Then i got a little update. Unfortunately i didn't make as much today as i was hoping for. My girlfriend had to go to the hospital with some major pain in her stomach. But she is fine now and just needs to rest :clap:

Well... First of all I'll have to warn all! A heatgun is HOT like hell!

[​IMG]
    It hurts a lot... But that's what you get, when you don't prior safety first :hehe:

Okay. I made the cable management thing today. It didn't quite look like what i had planned. But actually i like it. You have to decide for yourself :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That was it for today. I don't now how much i will be able to do as I probably have to take care of my daughter all alone. But stay tuned :D

13. Shattriath

Shattriath New Member

Oh dear god.! Sad update :(

As you know, i went for a 90degree angle in my local hardware store.

So i went home with it, measured and so on... But now... The angle was NOT 90degrees, but 86degrees!?!?!

14. Nitrixflare

Nitrixflare Building and engineering enthusiast

i think it's because they didnt saw it, but use a press or something to break it, so it might warp a bit.

15. Shattriath

Shattriath New Member

I'm not sure that i understand what you mean, Nitrixflare?

Anyways. I might have to make a new panel for myself. But for that i need some kind of press brake/Shop press... Anyone having any ideas how to make your own? I think of something with some door henches. But i don't know if it will work?

16. Shattriath

Shattriath New Member

Tiny update :)

I've installed the window in the left side panel. Looks sweet!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that done i ripped out almost all interior.

[​IMG]

The front have been cut out too and this plate is where a 240 rad, power switch and resetwitch will be placed. On top of that 3 5,25" bays will be available for an optical drive and a 2 bay fancontroller.

[​IMG]

--------------------------------------------------------

Still need to figure out what to do with the "tray" under the motherboard tray. I might think the motherboard tray need that support that the rail under it gave. Any ideas are welcome!

Last edited: 21 May 2011