1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project:ONE | Detail Shots and Explanations | UPDATE:11-20

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by DETN8R, 30 Dec 2002.

1. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

Have some pie!

2. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

indeed

3. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Just got back from home depot with some more sand paper for the palm sander although I didnt use it for the sanding just awhile ago. I used my sanding block with the foam in it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I was there I picked up some shower hose, Im sure you can all guess the influence here. I have some different plan for though, to completely avoid copying G-Gnome I will do something different to it:
    [​IMG]

I like the small and big conduit mix here. I think it will go well for my rocket theme.

4. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Well, The lighting arrive but I managed to blow the dual inverter for the CCFls.

Not a large setback but I will have to get it replace.

5. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

How'd you blow it already?!

6. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

For some odd reason I set the inverter down on my carpet and I didnt see a little piece of brass that I had failed to clean up and it shorted out a capacitor. The capacitor started leaking this weird white stuff.

SVC doesnt carry the inverters by them selves so I just ordered another blue CCFL with a dual inverter.

7. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

That sucks man, too bad :(

You can get the tubes in place and just leave the wires hanging out while waiting for the new inverter, right?

8. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

I hope so

I just hope that IF I do I get the lighting right. because I want each fin to have light shining through.

also, I have a thread in the electronics hideout asking if I could just use a regular 12" CCFL inverter to power both of these.

9. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Sorry for 3 updates in one day, hope no one minds.

Anyone, Here is a pic of the inverter I killed:
    [​IMG]

I have ordered another CCFL with a dual inverter should be here.

Luckily, I have found a temporary solution. Using my 4" inverter from The Bruise, My first casemod.
    All My Lighting:
    [​IMG]

LazerLEDS:
    [​IMG]

I will use one set of lazer LEDs to illuminate the front, this is the lighting effect im going for:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe now you guys can see the lighting effects im going for.

10. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

That small and big conduit look great together DETN8R. It'll be good to see what you get up to there. You've done a sweet job with your bondo and sanding - almost seems a pity to cover it all up as it's looking quite post-apocalypse (Mad Max look out!).

Bad luck with the inverter too. :(

I look forward to updates!

11. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Im getting alot of fans of the post apocalyptic look.

Yeah, I have a few plans for the conduit. Luckily at home depot here they sold the showerhose without the showerhead part.

12. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

UPDATE TIME!!!

Using my old 4" ccfl inverter to mark out where I wanted the CCFLs would go I cut away at the base some more:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, I have begun the prep work for the fin molding. I am beginning with the left set of fins as they are the smallest, height wise.

Using Crimsons tips, I went with the pantyhose tacked on with some 3m Spray adhesive:
    [​IMG]

After that I applied some epoxy to both ends:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sure do hope I doing this right, I decided to just jump on in and give it a shot. Im hoping for the best. Any more tips guys?

Thats about it guys. Im gonna wait awhile and let the epoxy cure before I proceed any further.

Last edited: 3 Oct 2003
  13. Znurf

Znurf What's a Dremel?

Hey, i was just thinking, on the latest pics you aim those leds down, then you see the source of the light, i dont think thats very nice to be honest, but how would the result be if you aimed them straight on the coppar (or whatever material it is) and then let the light spread down, if you know what i mean...

so the light goes like this...

--->|
    .......|
    ____|

then is "bounce" down the copper... hope you get what i mean ;) otherwise i will have to write a picture ;) (the dots are just so that the | wont end up like this:
    --->|
    |
    ___|

:p

14. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Thanks for you suggestion but your wrong, you dont see the source of the light because the source will be hidden behind the shell of the case. I was just holding those LEDs up so you guys could get an idea of what the lighting effect will be like.

15. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Sorry I neglected this in the last post, In order for my sliding mobo tray to work succesfully I had to remove this piece from the back:

[​IMG]

The mobo tray was scraping across this piece and the PSU fan hole was partially blocked by this, not enough to impede the exhaust but enough to halter my plans for the back piece. I have a few little ideas for the back panel that have a little to do with the psu.

16. Fyberwire

Fyberwire What's a Dremel?

thats awesome. Are you going for a vented look on the bottom of the sides? looks swet. keep it up

17. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Im not quite sure what you mean.

18. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

I figured I would post a few key shots of some of the polishing I did on the mobo trays tray. I polished the holes that some of the screws go through:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks much better in person. I also polished the edges around the hole that houses the HD. You can see it a bit in the last 2 pics.

Also, Im attempting using the hose on the dvd drive for when i repair that also:
    [​IMG]

Ive been meaning to fix it everytime I mixed up some bond but I always forget, oh well.

Well, I did manage to get some bondo applied to something.

I attempted the molding of the first set of fins this morning.
    My results are mixed. Im a bit unhappy about a few things.

[​IMG]
    You can see a few dips in the pic above, thats an easy fix. also, with the overlapping of the pantyhose and application of the bondo the end result would be a little bump on the fins and I really dont want that so I figured the best thing to do would to be to sand away the hose down the fin.

You can see what i mean better in this next pic:
    [​IMG]

and My overall job of the process. Im guessing I should have done this one side at a time but me being in the rush Im in neglected to think ahead:
    [​IMG]
    Also, Im not to happy about all the scratches I gave the brass.

Any tips guys? bondo gurus?

19. KrazyIvan

KrazyIvan What's a Dremel?

how did you polish the holes in the plexi?

20. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

With some novus and a long piece of cotton cloth (from a shirt)about 2in wide using a shoeshining motion.