1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project:ONE | Detail Shots and Explanations | UPDATE:11-20

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by DETN8R, 30 Dec 2002.

1. mashie

mashie The one and only

Nothing wrong with the name, and you can enjoy Project:ZERO here.

Oh no, here is another "copy".

You people have to realize I'm not the first and I'm not the last to convert a SGI O2 to a PC. Same as with Linear and his Invisible case.

2. Shadow6363

Shadow6363 What's a Dremel?

as i am not registered to pheaton forums, i must say, u have done quite the nice job on Project: Zero and i hope your Project: One turns out just as nice

3. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Actually, untill now I had never noticed the name similarities.

Haha, well maybe Ill change it but I really like the sound of it, All though I dont see myself starting a Project:TWO anytime as that name sounds stupid to me.

4. wedgius

wedgius What's a Dremel?

What about One Zero? :D

5. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

The parts I plan on getting for the insides are as follows:
    MOBO: FIC AT31
    Proc: AMD XP 1800+ Or Better Depending On Funds
    HSF: Still not sure, I was thinking of going with a Volcano 9 again but I think it may be to big. Any Suggestions? I was also thinking of going with a CCK-6012 Cooler from Directron but that Heatsinks just doesnt look like it would do good even though its rated for an XP up to 2000
    Maybe with a cool looking Ever Cool Chrome fan or a Global Win 37CFM fan

RAM: 2 128MB DDR266 Sticks Of Ram
    Storage: 80GB HD
    Media: Toshiba 16x DVD Rom

Hell, this setup looks so good I may just swap these parts into my Project Zero Case and put my Abit NV7m Mobo in this one.

Total Estimated Price: $450+
    Total Funds: $400

and that doesnt even include the $80+ 1u PSU that I have to get in order to power this. Or the Graphics Card, Im not sure if I will get one though from what ive read this MOBO has onboard TVOUT so I may be able to use this as a media system after all, and the size of this case is really beneficial. Maybe I can get a $200 Loan for the Shipping and the PSU from a certain family member.

I should however be able to get most of this stuff by the end of the week.

I guess I wont be able to quit my job when I wanted too. I really miss sleeping all day.

6. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

I wouldn't worry about HSF size. Didn't Mashie put a swiftech beastie in his?

7. CameronCLWS

CameronCLWS What's a Dremel?

Hey man, can't wait to see the case modded out. I agree with whoever said it, you could totally chrome that out, with some highlights. In my custom plexi case (oh no, i copied people, after all the name of my thread is Heavy Inspiration) i am doing white painted plexi with frosted highlights. You could use some plexi frosted to accent the aluminum, make an etch in there and then use the blue LED's for a sweet tinted, non-see through window..

also, for the name..if u keep it at project: ONE, thats cool. but may i suggest a variation of that them? like P-One, P1, Pee1, PJuan, Senor Juan, Senor Chevere, Chevelle- anyway im gettin a little off track here man..good luck with the project.

8. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

I was already thinking of using plexi on the exterior of the case for a different effect, not sure If I would chrome the whole thing though.

Anyway, minor update:

I decided to waste all my money on a few different things besides new computer parts, I couldnt finda mobo that I liked in the price range I had so I wasted all my money on something else

Im also quitting my job because I think I deserve a break from working.

9. daDJ

daDJ What's a Dremel?

:eyebrow:

I think I'm gonna quit my job because I deserve a break from work too .......

10. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

good for you, and good luck.

I love being supported by my mother.

what else coulda 16yr old ask for.

11. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Well Ive pretty much decided on the design of this case. Although I cant explain it or show pictures I think you guys will like. Im not the the PAPER and PENCIL type so the design is totally inside my head. Much like I did my Project:ZERO case. Ill try to describe it as best as I can.

I baught some bondo to fix the shaved/scratched part on the top and maybe the crack on the side. Im still not sure about how I want to go about repairing it. I was planning on just bracing it with a piece of aluminum cut out into a cool shape. Im also thinking about painting the whole thing chrome or silverish with some aluminum lining on the case. Im planning on making some fins out of aluminum on the vents on the bottom piece.

Ive never worked with bondo before and basically baught to repair the hole I burnt into my keyboard which will be good practice. anyone got any pointers?

Ive decided that the inner chassis will be made out of plexiglass and some of the t-slotted aluminum extrusions that I have left over from Project:ZERO

Unfortunently I have spent all my money and quit my job so I am unable to buy any computer parts to put in it.

Maybe by the time I get another job I will be able to decide on what I want which was my main reason for not buying anything when I had the chance.

Last edited: 11 Feb 2003
  12. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

Was searching for people's sgi o2 projects, as i intend on doing something with one my self if i can ever get hold of one. Have you got any further with ur project DETN8R ?

13. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Sorry, I havnt. Im still trying to finish up Project:ZERO

14. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

Dont suppose u wonna make a bit of money on the case? :D I'll happily buy it off u. :lol:

Hope to see sum new stuff soon mate =]

15. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Hi

I just wanna wish u good luck with it !!

And I think its perfectly OK to do a mod that may have been done before ...

mashie, linear , ... are mod-GOD's ... most of us don't have that many skill or idea's ... so I don't think its so wrong if somebody steal's an idea ... or even copy's the whole damn thing ...

AS LONG AS THEY DON'T TAKE CREDIT FOR THE IDEA

Most of u modders probebly have changed the power-on led by a Blue One , and I don't think that any of U were the first to do that ...

this is maybe a little extreme but that aint orignal either

So I think its just prefectly fine for DETN8R , to buy the same case as mashie did and use it ..

Oh well :) thats my thoughts

Good luck DETN8R !!!!!

16. Crunchy_Frog

Crunchy_Frog What's a Dremel?

Well, here's $.02 from a noob....

Modding can be anything. Simply painting your case periwinkle to keep it from being standard beige is as much a mod as a completely vapo-chill-cooled-pure-plexi-with-brushed-aluminum-beast (yes, it's a word, I looked it up :D). The difficulty level between the two is obviously different, but both are still mods: one for aesthetics and one for aesthetics and functionality.

Also, let's face it, if you're going to mod a case (vs. building your own), there's only a set number of cases in the world to choose from. I'm currently modding a Mac SE II.... it's been done before, but why should that stop me? And of course I'm using others ideas.... Isn't that why this community exists? We share ideas to enhace creativity. Also, why re-invent the wheel?

As for opinions, that's another thing... I could say that all of Mashie's cases are pure crap. It's my opinion, I am entitled to have it. Everyone has different tastes or views on what looks good.

*NOTE* This, of course, is not my opinion (as I look over to the small alter of Mashie case pics I have on my desk and sacrifice an old mouse in homage).

Anyway, I forgot what my point was and I have said my say.... (this is what I get for replying while trying to code)

DETN8R : I'm not sure if I would use bondo.... I do not think it will have the adhesive qulaities you need for plastic. If you're planning on painting anyway, I would use an epoxy like JB Weld. Also, I wish I could quit my job... I deserve a break too. :lol:

CF

17. Penguin4x4

Penguin4x4 What's a Dremel?

On the HSF issue, IF you have the room I would stick in a Thermalright AX-7 with Sunon 50CFM fan. All together it measures roughly 85MM square and close to 100MM high. :)

18. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Bondo should work fine, I can think of two different cases that used bondo: the one with the skull on the front heavily used bondo, and theres the other with the front fan that was made to look like a jet engines intake. Sorry, Im at work and dont have links.

From what I've read about it, you want to work one layer at a time, as if its too thick it takes way too long to dry. Sounds like your project won't use too much of it anyway. Once dry, it is workable just like plastic.

Side note: are you going to everlan? If so, as staff or are you entering the case competition? School ends for me next week and I will have time to jump into my new case. I plan on entering it into Everlan.

19. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Shadowspawn, Dont think im gonna be a judge this time at everlan. not sure if im entering or not. I havnt really done anything with this O2 case yet. Im really interested to see what you have shadowspawn, any pics/links? If I enter I would like to know what Im up against.

Im pretty sure im gonna go with one of those really small via mobos since I just want to use this to watch DVDs and listen to some MP3s so I dont really have to worry about an HSF

ANd thanks for all the support guys but dont expect this project to get off its feet for a few months, im nearing completion on my project:zero case so I should have something to do with this case this summer.

Basically my design plan is something of a rocket ship type case, with lots of chrome and blue lights, thats the only color of light I like besides white. I plan on modding the entire case into something totally different.

20. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

As soon as I have my CCNA in hand, which should be by next weekend, I can relax and start on the case. I plan on doing a log of it. I had to cutback on some things due to cost, but it should still be a solid case.