1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project:ONE | Detail Shots and Explanations | UPDATE:11-20

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by DETN8R, 30 Dec 2002.

1. error.ini

error.ini What's a Dremel?

Sweet, i've been watching this project for a long time, and have been waititng for the priming/painting stages. I can't wait! Good work!

2. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Thats actually a good idea.

Ill consider it tomarrow

Thanks error.ini

3. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Nice work DET! It really looks good with the primer on.

Your grommet/hose setup looks very nice and I like the fitting above the ATX plug, top work!

Just a thought - if you aren't planning on re-wiring the ATX, what about masking off the pins and vinyl-dying the colored wires that are showing and the top/sides of the ATX plug? If you used, say, black or a dark colour you would then only notice the steel cover once it was all plugged in? (I did this with my molexes and, even though you can still see part of the plug, it looked much better than the pale plastic).

:)

4. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Thanks for that tip G-Gnome.

But even if I did vinyl dye the connector the plug on the board would still be white and I dont have time to spray the board.

Althought I do have plans to hide the wires.
    Very simple too.

Im sure youll enjoy my next update. Ive been up all night hacking up wires from the PSU to fit in my container(I want to avoid calling it a "junction" box, hehe)

Ive got all the main wiring planned out and all the small(payphone) conduit cut an used thus leaving none for my CCFL wires. Oh well, I have plans to hide them.

Oh well.

5. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Ill keep THIS update short. Dont expect to many in the following 2-3 weeks.

Ive applied some more fiberglass to the shell of the case. Actually, alot more. I need it to be strong.

The crack I showed in my earlier update just wouldnt fill and I couldnt figure out why. I finally did while sanding it yesterday. I noticed the case made a slight snapping sound I check it all out to discover that a new crack on the right side of the case was opening and closing everytime I flexed the case.

I immediately tested this on the left side and the same thing was happening here. The crack would re-open everytime I would sand it.

Here are some pics of more fiberglass installed:

[​IMG]

And the other side, I decided to reinforce the areas around the cracks just to add some stability:
    [​IMG]

Im sure youll like this part G-gnome

Also, Got some more work done to my wire container on the PSU. This required cutting EVERY wire on the psu. So Now Im going to have to re-solder them all. Ill only post this one bad pic as I dont have time to take another:
    [​IMG]

Luckily the conduits and showere hose expand and contract So I can pull the wires through and then solder them and let them retract to there normal state.

also, Im gonna go with the metallic black paint and I guess im gonna have to clear coat and sand the clear coat which I know I will hate.

Im going to maybe go with a flat black on the base, I dont have time to tediously sand it with the care a gloss coat would require.

6. Penguin4x4

Penguin4x4 What's a Dremel?

BE A UTIFUL Work there Det! 2 weeks and no mod make Homer something something...:lol: :D

7. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Thanks Penguin.

8. FlashPanHunter

FlashPanHunter What's a Dremel?

Coming together extremely well. I think that the wiring there is very clever too, could plan for that limited space.

9. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Thanks flash pan.

I just put a few coats of primer on the base and MOST of the fin molding is seamless. Looks very good. Im very proud of how it all came out. The cracks on the shell are gone too.

10. [twig]clown

[twig]clown What's a Dremel?

Glad the cracks have gone :) Now you can properly crack on with the paint job :p

-cLoWn

11. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

way ahead of you.

12. The Spyder

The Spyder What's a Dremel?

Det, you really need to strip the side of the case and fiberglass the cracks on the outside. I dont know why I did not follow this thread. Even with you fiberglassing the inside, you still will not prevent the cracks from opening up. You could finish the project, a friend bump the case, and have all this work ruined. Its quite easy to do, just fiberglass, sand, aply more resin, and sand, primer, paint. No way can this crack again. If the final resin dosent work as you want, bondo on top works fine to.
    Your decision......

13. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

If I didnt only have like 1 week to finish it I would.

14. DeLorean5000

DeLorean5000 What's a Dremel?

Why do you only have one week? :eyebrow:

15. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Lan Party, Case Mod Competition.

16. DeLorean5000

DeLorean5000 What's a Dremel?

17. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

You've got two weeks partner...I know I'll be working right up until Friday the 7th.

18. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

I wanna finish early so I have time to work out any bugs that will eventually occur.

19. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

I figured I would post a teaser for all of my loyal log followers.

[​IMG]

This is after 2 coats of metallic and one coat of clear(unsanded,& unpolished)

Im liking it. Im going to paint the base a flat/matte black. As I really would hate to sand it and ruin it.

20. broots

broots What's a Dremel?

Looks sweeeeet! :D
    More pics please ;)