1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project:ONE | Detail Shots and Explanations | UPDATE:11-20

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by DETN8R, 30 Dec 2002.

1. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Thanks Vegeta.

2. maeterlinck

maeterlinck What's a Dremel?

TBH it does look like you've simply stuck them on the back - a bit like a 5 minute mod when you've nothing else to use... If you don't want to use fan grills then perhaps producing something a kin to the fins on the bottom would be a good idea.

3. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

I glued them on with some epoxy. It wasnt really a 5min mod job I had always planned to do this. I do agree it doesnt really fit in with the rest of the case but I didnt know this untill it was to late.

Ok, I've finally gotten off my ass and decided to take those detail pics I promised.

Ill start off with PSU framework I had to do.

As you should know, I made a little container out of a bent piece of aluminum to house all the wires, this process proved very troublesome. I was up in wee hours of morning soldering all the wires back together because I had to cut them in order to get them into the conduit(Showerhose and Payphone cable): somewhere and sometime in my mind I decided it would be best to take some pictures of the process for my loyal log followers.

The framework of the PSU got in the way of the wires and I had to set about cutting a huge chunk of the extrusion away, I broke a jigsaw blad doing it too. I had to make room for all the wires that would be in the container I made, I also cut a piece of the rubber hose that was inside the showerhose I bought to cover up those sharp edges all the cutting left behind:
    [​IMG]

I had to resolder every wire in order to get power to al the things.
    [​IMG]

In this picture you can barely see that I also used the container to house the CCFLLs inverter as well as all the wires I had to re-solder:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a little "BOX" I made to hold the IDE and power cable to the DVD Drive. The larger conduit is obviously the IDE cable. I wanted it to have sort of a "screwed in" look to create the illusion of an actuall disconnectable connector, which it is not. I had to disconnect one of the IDE cables connectors then run it through the shower hose and reconnect it, luckily it still worked afterwards:
    [​IMG]

And here you can see the smaller(payphone) conduit going to the container I made:
    [​IMG]

I cut away most of the origional button so I could house the CCFL switch inside it to save space. I epoxied a small piece of aluminum to the base for the switch to sit on:
    [​IMG]

Here is the back panel, as you can see it attaches to the Mobo tray in order for it to be removable and to be able to stand on its own:
    [​IMG]

This is the second part of the back panel, I actually had/have elaborate plans for the back pane but due to my time constraints I was unable to realize them in time for the lan party I attended. I used a spacer from an old Hard Driver for the PSUs fan grill. THe spacer was used between platters. I had this Idea months ago:
    [​IMG]

A bad pic of the bondo job done, which is seamless. Also, note the scratched paint job, this happend recently and will be fixed:
    [​IMG]

The joint between the front and right set of fins, the camera actually makes it look worse that it is. In real life this part looks GREAT:
    [​IMG]

Thats it. I may update this log again with more pics but other than that this project is finished. The only things left for me to do are to buy parts to put in it and to fix some of the heating issues.

I would like to thank everyone that has followed the log(s) and for their support along the way.

EDIT:

Also, expect my next project log to start soon. Ive already ordered a few of the parts for it. I will take the plunge finally. It will be very different from this and my other mods. I want to take a different approach to case. I will be modifying a stock case this time and not constructing the framework or anything but there will be mods and everything to the chassis and pretty much everything else.

Last edited: 20 Nov 2003
  4. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

What I'm wondering is did you actually use the hard drive platters as fan grills?! That could be why you've got such a heating problem.

No matter how far away they are, up until they're ineffective as grills, hdd platters would act to block airflow.

5. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

I know abnormal. Ive already thaught of that. I was worried even before I put it on about that issue. Oh well though.

6. Zazard

Zazard What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: why doesn't this have a 5 stars rating ? =) AWESOME job .

7. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Thanks zazard

8. Shoobie

Shoobie What's a Dremel?

Very nice case, DETN8R. I like the metallic black paint, what kind is it? So tempting to track down one of those cases, but I'd hate to copy a copy. :) J/K, great case.

9. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Well it would only be a copy if you did yours the exact same way I did mine.

Anyway, the paint is Rustoleum Metallic Black Night and the base is painted with dupli-color flat black.

10. Shoobie

Shoobie What's a Dremel?

Cool, thanks man!

Oh, and I was joking about the copy thing. I looked at Mashies case, and they are pretty different. Again, very nice job!

11. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Excellent!

Maybe if you get a chance you should use that chamelion paint or something, you know it changes colours from the angle you view the case at pretty cool.

12. Mutton

Mutton What's a Dremel?

Hey det, ur mod is looking great.
    I think the shower hoses will look sweet, since they worked in orac3.

I like your keyboard btw. I have the same and had done that mod too.

Nice1

13. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Thanks Mutton, I didnt expect this thread to be dug up.

What brought you to it?

14. Mutton

Mutton What's a Dremel?

Just browsing around really.
    Yeah, i realised i was a month out before.
    I post quite rarely anyways.

But i had to offer support.Looks like a hard task.
    I liked mashie's one but i prefere some of his other mods more.

plus i just had to mention the keyboard :D

Gd LK