1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Orange Juice - [30.12.2005]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Deathrow, 15 Nov 2005.

1. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

My first go at a proper case mod was an instant gonner as I soon realised that the case was physically too small to fit everything I wanted in to it. At first I was quite dissapointed as I had started work on a case only to find it was too small. Later that day I began looking for a new case, I wanted to make sure I wouldent come across the same lack of space as with my previous case. Not much I can say other than I dont think space will be a problem anymore...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sanded and polished 3 of the 7 PCI blanking plates, they are far from perfect but they look better than they did. I will probably come back to them at a later date and go over them again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally here is a quick teaser of things to come :D.

[​IMG]

Please discuss Project: Orange Juice here.

Last edited: 30 Dec 2005
  2. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

Project: Orange Juice Discussion

Please discuss Project: Orange Juice here.

The project log can be found here.

3. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

Those PCI pletes look cool :thumb:

So do you have anymore plans then polish the PCI plates?

Maby some fanholes or some windows, or whatever?

4. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

I have quite a few plans but I have been known to change my mind quite often so I dont want to promise everyone somthing and then change my mind, so im not going to reveal all my plans, just the ones that are definitely going to make an appearance. A few of these include:

Windowed side panel.
    Water cooling.
    Sleeve all the cables (PSU, fan's, front panel, etc.).

They are the definite things at the moment but I am open to suggestions, bearing in mind I am on a tight budget.

I do have one thing cooking downstairs at the moment, but its not somthing to be rushed so youll have to be patient :).

5. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

6. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

That looks cool however it would serve no purpose as this system is going to be water cooled and will run with just 4 120mm silent fans (one of these being the PSU fan) :D. I might consider mounting my rad in a window in the top of the case though. Could be intresting and also allows for some cool lighting effects.

Just ordered some 8mm clear acrylic so I should be able to get started on the side panel window next week. Going to have to mount the acrylic on the outside of the panel because of how far back you have to slide the stackers panels to remove them.

7. Samurai75007

Samurai75007 What's a Dremel?

MMmm this is going to be nice... I was going to get this case now I need to get something elce. sorry I had to edit... your mouse, you should change the LED's to orange it would look kick ass... here's a link to some. :thumb: http://www.xoxide.com/5cm23vorled.html

Last edited: 16 Nov 2005
  8. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

This is the first time one of my project logs has needed a second post! Anyway, here are two pictures of what I have been doing the past few days. Its not a complete success as there are some imperfections but it will do for now, I will most likely have it repainted when I get the rest of the case pain...I have said too much :).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Personally I think the colour combo is amazing which is why I intend to carry it out through the whole case.

Orange
    Black
    Silver

Got rid of those annoying watermarks :).

Enjoy :D

Last edited: 16 Nov 2005
  9. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

Thaks a nice paintjob ;)

Is it a g7?

10. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

hey d00d, glad to see your mod up and going :p looks really good already, and the colour scheme is awesome, the mouse is just sexy!

cant wait to see some more progress, i love that case!

11. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

Its a Logitech MX1000. Its a year old and the original finish wasent in the greatest condition. I am going to have to wait until I get it repainted to use it though as there are too many layers of paint on it so the buttons are sticking a little.

Thanks frodo glad you like it already, but I have only just begun :p, I have lots of ideas flowing now, especially with how bad ass the paint scheme will look when its all over the case.

I need to get some M3 screws so I can test fit it as a replacement for the rivets as most of the rivets are going to be drilled out when I take the case to component parts for painting.

12. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

I received my first sheet of acrylic today from www.kustompcs.co.uk today which I am very pleased with, the sheet came well packaged and in top condition. My thumbs are up for Kustom PC's as they only had one sheet in stock but they sent it to me right away and are going to send me the second sheet as soon as they get it back in stock, unlike other online shops which would have made me wait 2 weeks for the second sheet and then sent them both together. So Kustom PC's have gained a customer for life.

Right, on with the mod.

I removed the left (looking from the front) side panel and removed the dome grill that was on there and then masked the whole panel off to protect it from any scrapes and scratches that could occour while I am working on it. I then fitted it back to the case and drew a line along the front side so I could see how much of the panel is hidden behind the case front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to get cutting! Loaded my dremel clone up with a its flexy shaft and a cutting disk and was ready to get to work!

[​IMG]

Not so fast! Safety first.

[​IMG]

A good job too as immediately after the first cut the cutting disk exploded and one piece of the disk hit my protective goggles, I still havent found the rest of the disk.

[​IMG]

On with the cutting!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the cutting was finished I made some lines and measurements of where all the fittings on the other side of the panel are so I know where I can afford to make cuts and drill holes for nuts, etc.

[​IMG]

I also got some paint stripper so I could remove that nasty grey paint from the PCI blanking plates in a cleaner and more time effective way.

[​IMG]

The plates need the other side stripping and then they need to be polished to a fine shine.

Thats all for now, I might update again later this evening if I have time.

13. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

wow :p nice work on the window, cant wait to see it with a clear window

the more i see of the stacker, the more i want one!

just wish i could afford it without a job :(

14. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

Just to clarify, I didnt cut out that circle :), and that isnt the final shape of the window, its going to be much bigger.

Put £10 a week away and you can have one in February 2006 :).

Anyway, back to my paint stripping.

15. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

i know that :p i know you just trimmed them :p

well... i dont even have £40 a month to put away :( i need a friggin job, my bikes costing sooo much to keep running

polishing those pci plates pwns, i think ill do that on adamantium :p

16. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

I know the feeling man, I need to get my job. They are opening a PC world local, going to go and see about getting a job there, that way at least one person working there has an idea of what they are talking about :).

Im just finishing up stripping the paint on the backs of mine now.

That dremel you had me buy is great for £30, although I am still a bit nervous using it, especially after that cutting disk exploded in my face.

17. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

yeah, well they do explode, just go easy on pressure (very little pressure, let the disk to the cutting)

i wear a full welding mask (with a clear insert) as otherwise your face gets smashed with chunks of metal and disk!

i might get a job at our locla pcworld, if i can, it would be good, to put back some intelligence into a shop where no one knows anything other than a few names. but if i remember correctly i have to be 18 to work there :( sucks balls :(

really really need a job, but to be honest, i need to still have spare time, or i wont mod enough :O

18. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

It wasent that I was applying pressure, its the way the panel was, when the cut had finished the loose piece nipped the disk inbetween it and the panel.

I have too much spare time, I usually end up bored because I dont have enough to mod because of money restraints. So the job would balance me out.

Just got done polishing the PCI blanking plates but its late so I will put them in tomorrows update. I need to get my hand drill back off my friend so I can start removing some of these rivets.

19. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

ahhh.... yeah, thats happened to me a few thousand times (about 20 disks have died that way so far :() its just a pain in the ass to be honeeesstttt

20. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

Dude I hope I helped you enough when it came to painting the MX1000. I see that you were able to take of the scroll wheel house with out breaking it. Maybe you should go with a two tone paint job. Drop the Silver dude. I think Black and Orange look pretty tough together.