1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Orange Monster, 26 July 2006; Wire routing blocks 16.3.2014

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Darkened, 26 Jul 2006.

1. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior What's a Dremel?

That stuff usually happens when people forget about what they're doing. In the case of a thin sheet of aluminium it happens when you try and work on it over open space i.e. you haven't braced it on the underside. Failure occurs because they are putting a bending load on the sheet as well as the shear from drilling/tapping, and very rarely because of a pressing defect. Provided you use decent quality tools you should be able to re-drill and tap anything, especially alu.

2. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Just its so thin screws bearing loads could tear if not indented.

3. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Odds and ends...

Hey guys, it's a good thing that tapping aluminium is causing discussion over here :D

But like I said, I won't be tapping the PSU itself, that was taken care of with 6-32 bolts that fit straight away. The only thing I re-tapped was the holes that the PSU mounting plate attaches to. They werent tapped straight into the aluminium either, they have these "nuts", which are attached to the aluminium like in the DVD/CD drive stealth bezel.

[​IMG]

Like that :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There it is with some shortened M3 bolts.

[​IMG]

And there it is attached with new bolts.

[​IMG]

And here's the pic I promised to take. That should be about right lightingwise and it shows well how little the CF vinyl actually shows, so this was for tdkwarrior :thumb:

[​IMG]

This one's for hydro :hehe: The pic is quite dark, but it shows that the CF vinyl doesn't stand out too much from the black aluminium.

And next some front connector installation pics...

[​IMG]

They were also mounted with shortened M3:s

Finally I leave you off with this Lian Li advert :hehe:

[​IMG]

That was just for the artistic impression in the pic :D

See you later with some updated stuff...

Janne

4. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Nice, nice, nice! I really like your work! Atention to details and impressive craftmansship.

Just one thing. How about to put some Orange plexi at the front connectors to continue the theme. It would light up the front and would bring even more details into the mod.

Anyway keep up the good work! :clap:

5. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Hey antiHero, nice to hear from you too :thumb:

I've been thinking about doing somekind of bezel for the front connectors too, but haven't decided to go for it yet. Glad to know that someone else likes small details also :hehe:

What's happening with Sinus though, you should get your mind to modding again :D

Janne

6. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Cutt out that whole area and make a stealth able area. WIth flip down or w/e aluminum piece tell me you saved something you cut out.

7. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

No time, no money, no inspiration!
    The setback with the Backpanel was hard and now i have to figure out how to get everything in place. I am kinda screwed! But i will continue with it!!!
    Another thing is that i destroyed my Cam last weekend. Dropped it while on a party. :wallbash:

8. floppyeardbunny

floppyeardbunny What's a Dremel?

pics arent working?

9. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

i like your attention to detail
    but you should try and get a perminant marker and colour in the pink and green of the front audio ports as they look a bit ugly imo
    other than that this is the best and most detailed mod i have seen scince orac3 nice work man!

10. chase

chase What's a Dremel?

Again nice work darkened, ever since you first posted here all youve gotten is brag :D
    Keep up the good work, we're gonna need another pic on the PCI slots when everyone is finished ;)

Petter

11. customh

customh conflagration.

absolutely wonderful, keep it up, i wanna see more!!

12. ssR

ssR Carbon God

love everything u do with the vinyl. i never got to work with it so i cant know if its as hard as people say but w/e ur doing there looks flawless. keep it up man i wanna see it done. people like u and modsquad made me wanna buy a v1000 case but u guys already did everything that can be done with those cases so i had to hack my poor transformer to feel unique :sigh:

13. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior What's a Dremel?

god knows it would be a pain in the ass, but what about a different take on rowin4kicks's idea? how about changing the colour of those jacks to orange? :p

haha thanks for the pic :thumb: work is looking very, very good and your updating often is also appreciated.

14. cire9753

cire9753 What's a Dremel?

where do you get carbon fiber vinyl

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Try your local car parts store. The one with the bling-bling alloy wheels outside.

16. cire9753

cire9753 What's a Dremel?

alright thanks

17. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Excelent-use of the CF,, Dark...
    What is next?

Last edited: 2 Sep 2006
  18. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Monster feet...

Well I'll tell you my friend.

Don't everybody think that a monster should have feet? Well I wasn't feeling like messing with acrylic today, so I decided to do something entirely different. And that was some metal work :D

Here we go.

[​IMG]

Here we have a large piece of aluminium, and I mean large, that thing weighs over 12kg :hehe: On top of that, it's ugly as hell, but I intend to make it to something nicer...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So this kind of piece was cut out using a jigsaw, a pain in the arse I tell you. The holes were drilled first with 4mm bit and then with 7, 10 and 15,5mm bits accordingly. And with a cordless drill, that wasn't fun either...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a bit of sanding it's starting to look like something.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking pretty good after wetsanding with 240, 400, 600, 1000, 1500 and 2000 grit papers. Though I'm not nearly finished with it yet...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...now that's what I'm talking about, a few runs with polishing compound and it's looking mighty good :D

[​IMG]

Here are the pieces that'll make the foot complete.

[​IMG]

After slapping on some CF vinyl to keep the theme going...

[​IMG]

...it was ready to be assembled into this. The mounting holes were threaded to M4 to keep things simple.

Let's see how it looks like when it's mocked up under the case...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I intend to mount them in 45 degree angle like in the pics. And of course the wheels are going to be removed and used in another project :hehe:

And finally here are the moneyshots...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it for now. Next I'll have to make 3 more of those, which will be another story...

Until next time. Enjoy :D

Janne

19. ssR

ssR Carbon God

awesome. makes me think of dutchcedar's badassumption style. how long it took u to polish that?

20. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Whole piece cutting and so on about 6-7 hours. And that's where I've seen that kind of alu work before, didn't remember that at all. Hope that you won't mind me copying your style dutchcedar :D

Janne

Tags: