1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Orange Monster, 26 July 2006; Wire routing blocks 16.3.2014

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Darkened, 26 Jul 2006.

1. DDarkSide

DDarkSide What's a Dremel?

The cut on the right window is really nice..It flows with the lines of the middle level of the case..good idea.

BEU_TI_FUL :waah: ..make me wana cry :D

2. Philipp

Philipp What's a Dremel?

This mod is just awesome :jawdrop:

Normally I don't like windowed cases at all, but this window is just amazing :rock: Keep up the good work :)

3. chase

chase What's a Dremel?

Impressive Darkened, now how about some pics of the sidepanels installed on the case?

Petter

4. elliod

elliod What's a Dremel?

as usualy amazing stuff you keep spoiling us whith those updates .
    please keep them coming .
    keep up the good work.

5. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Darkend, you might want to lock your case up as I am inclined to drive there and steal it away from you! I'll take it as it is :p

6. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

I'll trade you my case for yours. I have uh... a... uh.... coolermaster cavalier..

:lol: :eek: :dremel:

7. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Preciate the comments. No update today though, heading to work. I'll try to scrape up an update for tomorrow...stay tuned...

Janne

8. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

That is a good looking V1000 Darkened, the orange acrylic looks really clean with the carbon fiber vinyls. Although it is also irritating to me, my Kaiten project here was also envisioned with an orange/black theme with that same side panel mod as far as the 5mm acrylic goes. But oh well, I guess well both have good looking cases ;) Keep it up, cant wait to see your monster come alive

9. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

Very, very shiny! :eek: Can't wait for the finished product. ;)

10. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Nice Dark.!!
    it's different, and thats what it's all-about..
    "always innovate, never imitate" : Arlen Ness:

11. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

The sidepanels are a dream :jawdrop:

12. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

I'm running out of time, update will follow when I get back from work, that's about 6 hours from now, maybe a bit more. I have the pics on my computer, but don't have enough time to edit and move them to my server :wallbash: Well in case I had time to do that, I wouldn't have time to write the update, so it would be in vain anyways...

Stay tuned, this should be really nice...

Janne

13. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

this mod has been very inspirational with the ways you used acrylic, I was trying to think of ways to add acrylic highlights in my case and watching you mod gave me some idea on how to go about that... still new in the modding word so these work logs really help me get a better understanding, thanks and keep up the great work ^^

14. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Lower compartment assembly part 1...

Update time!

Sorry about the delay guys, my ISP had some issues with their DHCP server when I got back from work and I couldn't get to Internet, so I decided to hit the sack :wallbash:

Now it's fixed and I can finally start updating :D

Things are evolving quite rapidly here, the case is finally in a stage that I can start assembling it and blowing some life into it...

Let's start with the lower compartment, that'll be the topic today.

Firstly I had to think a way to bring the USB cable for the LCD trough the back of the case. After a bit of thinking I decided to use a cable gland...

[​IMG]

...like this. Sorry about the stock image, didn't have my camera when I went to modding it. Firstly it was reamed open with 15,5mm drillbit to accept the USB cable B connector. Would have been nicer to just leave it how it was, but I wasn't in the mood for making an USB cable myself, so I'll use the existing one. After that both parts of the gland were shortened a bit so that I could mount it in the case like this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And there it is, a nice way to bring your cables trough the back.

This is how it works with the cable.

[​IMG]

The hole is a bit on the large side, but couldn't be helped since I had to stick the cable trough it with the connectors attached. It still is really tight fit.

Next I had to modify the lower compartment shroud to be installable after the divider plate shroud is in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That meant filing some holes for the dome nuts and making a few holes and threading them to M4, but for what, you'll soon find out :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let's stick that thing in there and secure it with a couple of nuts and bolts.

Next I fabricated some mounting rails for the Nexus Drive-A-Way.

[​IMG]

I knew I saved these parts for a reason, they are actually from the Drive-A-Way, 2,5" hard drive mounting rails :hehe:

[​IMG]

Here they are installed in the case...

[​IMG]

...and here's the Nexus unit installed on them. It's a really tight fit, the bolts are touching the shroud on the other side.

[​IMG]

Still even the front fan fits, that makes me feel so nice and warm inside :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I installed the PSU in it's place and guess what, that fits too :thumb: Had to ditch the Revoltec PSU silencer though, couldn't get that to fit in any reasonable way.

Part one ends here, to be continued in a sec...

Janne

15. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Lower compartment assembly part 2...

Okay, here we go again...

First I had to fabricate a quite elaborate mounting point for the front shroud.

[​IMG]

Here are the parts...

[​IMG]

...and here it is assembled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is how it fits in the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There it is, the lower compartment front shroud, a complex name at least :hehe:

After that I attacked the hole-problem on the divider plate. The answer, more polished alu sheets...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There they are, but there's a problem with them. I can't get them to polish correctly, I'm thinking it's the alu itself, I've spent countless hours trying to get it shine, but it's still hazy as h***! I'm seriously thinking about getting all these alu parts chromed, that should bling them up :D Only problem there is the two week time they need to do the job and as an added bonus, it isn't that cheap... The other option is to find an alu plate which polishes correctly and re-do all the pieces, a b***h, but if I have to do it, I will.

Finally let's see how this all looks with the window installed...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and there you have it, hopefully you'll like it :thumb:

Again, all comments are appreciated...

Janne

16. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Well i like it.

17. SIMSY

SIMSY What's a Dremel?

thats awesome, worth the wait once again

18. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

Subscribed. :rock:

19. chase

chase What's a Dremel?

WOW :rock:

Petter

20. eegg

eegg What's a Dremel?

why did you but the usb cable to the back and not to the motherboard directly on it

Tags: