1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Orange Monster, 26 July 2006; Wire routing blocks 16.3.2014

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Darkened, 26 Jul 2006.

1. ArcAngeL

ArcAngeL What's a Dremel?

i havent worked with arylic yet myself, but i was wondering if u layed some acrlic over a angled peice of metal like that, and used a heat gun for long enough, woudlnt it completly mold over the angle of the metal? Dunno if it will work, but if u got some scrap, do a test and see it works perhaps.

2. pioneer1976

pioneer1976 What's a Dremel?

that thick stuff is hard to bend perfertly, for the thick stuff imo thats a good bend

3. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

not to mention the temps that have to be reached to bend acrylic is high, most of the time what I would do is put my acrylic in a preheated oven and let it begin to soften and then put it on a wood jig of the shape that I want it to start to form too and with moving pegs start forming it in place little by little reheating the acrylic when needed and placing it back in the jig so it can be a long hard process and in order to get acrylic that hot to mold against that metal there in that pic would cause damage to the case and with that much direct heat cause damage to the acrylic, at least with my experience working with acrlic for what I have scene.

4. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior What's a Dremel?

it's a small imperfection on the face of a very (imo) sexy case. I wouldn't bother fixing it - orange monster is great as is :thumb:

5. cire9753

cire9753 What's a Dremel?

yeah very high quality
    i like it

6. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

I wouldn't call the temperature high. PMMA has glass temperature of 100 - 105 °C and melting point of 130 °C. Meaning it can be bended somewhere in between. That's easily achievable with a hot air gun or a regular kitchen oven. The problem is if you heat it too much it will catch texture from the mold.

That kind of bending imperfection just lets people know it was made by hand. I think that gives some value to it. Like Darkened's signature.

7. chase

chase What's a Dremel?

Ok, thanks Dark, just needed to know, I know where they sell
    AutoGlym here in Norway! ;)

Petter

8. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Wow! Orange Monster has over 120k views! Good going, Darkened. Keep up the good work.

9. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Over 120k!!! :baby: :clap:

10. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

I really like the feet! this thing begs for a good watercooling loop!

11. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Say hello to my shiny little friends...

Update time!

This is just the beginning, I think I can make another update tonight, but here's something to sink your teeth in in the mean while.

More polishing of parts, that's the way to proceed :hehe:

[​IMG]

I spent a bit of time to polish the Akasa FanControl bezel and one of the cover plates. The cover plate was the "prototype" and it's not finished yet, but it sure is shiny already :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There you go, and I'll leave you with a teaser pic...

[​IMG]

...and that is what's up next...

Janne

12. NysoO

NysoO Handcrafted

:jawdrop:

You got to tell me how you get that finnish.
    What grit do you use? Do you use a polishing machine? or do you polish it by hand?

Awesome! :)

13. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

Aha! Yay for UV!

14. customh

customh conflagration.

15. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Firstly, thanks for the info customh!

I've actually thought about using UV-leds, but there's a couple of problems with that. Firstly the price and availability in Finland, 5€ for one led is quite steep, though ordered from Germany the prices are tolerable.

Secondly the health issues with UV-leds, though I'm not sure if the CCFLs are any less harmful. If I've understood right, looking straight to the light source is harmful and also there's a warning not to let the UV-radiation to affect your skin. If someone would be kind enough to shed some light (not UV :hehe:) on this issue, it'd be greatly appreciated.

I also have a backup plan with white leds, that might be the way to go for now, but that's not sure yet...

Janne

16. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

UV light is harmful in high dosages (i.e. the sun) Haveing a bunch of LED's in your case is 20 times less harmful then walking outside. Unless of course you are alergic to the sun (A real condition)

17. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

DARK! back on for(u)m bud! Very nice! AND YAY FOR LIGHTS!!!!!!

18. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

I bought all my UV leds on ebay, prices are superb (50 leds for less than 10 €). If you want more info (seller etc) just pm me.

19. customh

customh conflagration.

I would say that I'd rather just not look right into the lights than have my computer eat itself.. just my 0.02c

20. Ultimate Gamer

Ultimate Gamer What's a Dremel?

that happens because there a couple of different components on the PCB board that are touching you just have to open it up and move them away from each other

Tags: