1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Orange Monster, 26 July 2006; Wire routing blocks 16.3.2014

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Darkened, 26 Jul 2006.

1. NysoO

NysoO Handcrafted

I'll try again ^^

2. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

I don't think the UV-leds and cathodes do much damage. My occupational safety book says "1M: The accessible radiation is not hazardous, as long as no optical instruments are used, which may e.g. focus the radiation." In Finland, STMp 1474/1991 defines the risk level to start at 1mW/m^2 E(eff) 8h. I guess that means that you're safe if you get below 1mW/m^2 for 8 hours a day.
    Edit: Class 2 lasers have power below 1mW. Class 1 and 1M go below that. So I think you're safe unless keep a dozen leds or cathode in your face.

3. chase

chase What's a Dremel?

Looking prettty great there, I have just done some polishing myself actually.
    Every modder that have been hand polishing, has respect for that result you pulled ;)

Merry Christmas to you ;)

Petter

4. Darkened

Darkened What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the comments guys, now I have a few decisions to make, either to go with UV-leds or just regular white leds (I have those already). But I'd think its safe to say that CCFLs are out of the picture.

@NysoO

Sorry about that, I think I was in such a hurry that I didn't realize that your comment had also a question in it :hehe:

Well the process is quite simple, sanding and more sanding with quite fine grit (at least 1000, but preferably up to 2000 grit) to make the part smooth, then after that I've been using a Wolfcraft polishing set which has a couple of polish compounds and two polishing wheels. Then after that a b***hload of handpolishing with AutoGlym Metal Polish. And that's about it, takes time like no other job, but you can have pretty good finishes if you just don't give up :thumb:

@chase

Merry Christmas to you too, though it's not quite yet coming :hehe: Now show them polished pieces :D

Janne

5. chase

chase What's a Dremel?

I have :worried:

Petter

6. ssR

ssR Carbon God

the polishing job on those parts is sick man! good job and get that thing assembled already!!!

7. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

THose UV LEDs and CCFL's prduce very little actual high level ultra violet light. The only reason stuff doesn't glow under the sun is the entense light from the sun. So you should be fine since most house lights prduce mor radiation than those.

8. dragon-fly

dragon-fly What's a Dremel?

i agree, the uv leds are more to purple than actual UV light, but some are good enough and do produce a fair amount of UV light.

9. NysoO

NysoO Handcrafted

Ok, thanks!! I think I will have to take my time when I am going to polish 2 pices of 40 x 20cm aluminium. :D

There is a hard surface on the aluminium too, so ill have to start with like, 400 - 600 - 800 - 1000 - 1200 - 1500 - 2000 (zomg).

I know where to get a wolfcraft polishing set here in sweden. But the handpolish.., you think autosol would do it, or are there to big grains in it?

10. Darkened

@NysoO

Depending on the condition of the alu plates you have, I'd go with 600, then 1200 and maybe with 2000 grits. This is if the alu is quite smooth to start with, if not, I'd suggest 240 grit with a sanding machine.

Then attack it with the Wolfcraft set, don't go against the "grain" so to speak, move the drill to the direction where it naturally "wants" to go, if you go upstream so to speak, it'll stay hazy and you won't have a decent finish. After you are happy with machine polishing (should be pretty shiny at that stage, only a bit of small scratches remaining from the cloth wheel) start the hand polishing, and no, I wouldn't recommend Autosol, it has too much grain in it and you'll notice that because the work you did with the cloth wheel was more shiny than after the Autosol treatment. Get AutoGlym or Mothers Alu and Mag Polish (or something similar which is meant for soft metal polishing).

After that you should have pretty good looking pieces in your hand (which is really black at that stage :hehe:). Polishing takes a s**tload of time and patience, but I'd say that it's worth it :thumb:

Oh, and btw, IT'S ALIVE...ALIVE!!! I worked on the Monster for 8 hours straight and now I have Windows installed on it, now all I have to do is find the time to document and post all the progress made, that'll be quite soon, but not now, it's sleeping time!

Janne signing out...

11. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Comeon lets see the beast this has been months in the making. I can't wait to see what the blood sweat tears and elbow grease have created.

12. NysoO

NysoO Handcrafted

@ Darkened

This is how the surface looks like
    [​IMG]

I tried with 600 to start with, but it just didn't bite on it. So to get through that surface I used 120 dry paper.

But the metalpolish.. can't fin anything but the autosol :(
    Or, Biltema, which is a low quality trademark, have metalpolish.

13. Darkened

@hydro

The update will follow once I get the appropriate pictures taken and edited and in general have time to make the update. Might take a couple of days. And all in all, the Monster isn't ready, still a long way to go to finish the beast :hehe:

@NysoO

Ok, so I'm guessing that the alu is anodized, which needs that lower grit to get trough. Hopefully you have a sanding machine so that you don't have to hand sand that whole piece, if so, I feel for you :D

Try autoglym.com, at least in the Finnish section there was a "where to buy" list, that should be helpful if you can find it, also it doesn't have to be AutoGlym, so try places which sell car paints, car restoration shops, bodyshops and such, I bet there are loads of places which sell the stuff, you just need to look and use your imagination like "Who could sell this kind of stuff?". That's what I do for the most of the time and it works amazingly well :hehe:

Janne

14. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

i ahve had very good results with mothers mag and aluminum polish. check my worklog, you'll see that i hand-polished my entire side panel with it. it still needs some work, but it still looks good. also, when you are removing the polish, use a microfiber cloth or something similarly soft. i tried getting it off with a regular terry towel and it scuffed it. the more you buff it the better it looks.

15. NysoO

NysoO Handcrafted

Yea, I have a sanding machine :)
    I have sent a mail to a company here in sweden whi is supposed to sell autoglym stuff.
    What is the name of the product you're using? Like Autoglym - metalpolish?
    And what cloth are you using to do the polishing?
    I have polergarn from turtlewax, will it do it?

16. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

17. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Shiny stuff... Cool :cooldude:

Keep up the good work!

18. Darkened

Update is coming probably tomorrow, I'm writing this from OM, so happy :hehe:

Stay tuned...

Janne

19. chase

chase What's a Dremel?

I bought that Autoglym stuff, works great, I just had to fin out how to do it...
    Much much better than Autosol, IMO.
    I'll show it tomorrow maybe, not finished yet ;)

Petter

20. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

I've been following this one from the start, and every update got me :eeek: 'ing. I registered now, and can't wait for more :)

Tags: