1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Orange Monster, 26 July 2006; Wire routing blocks 16.3.2014

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Darkened, 26 Jul 2006.

1. Darkened

Darkened New Member

New front-end pt.1...

You know what time it is!

I've been really busy with real life stuff, but got something done also with OM.

This week, boys and girls, we are concentrating on the front of the case :hehe:

There has been some problems with a few things since I started using the Monster.

Firstly and most importantly I have been having problems with the Plextor DVD burner. It works otherwise (installing Windows and other programs, watching DVDs and burned material in general), but I can't burn anything with it. Nero starts the burning sequence, but it jams at 1% (burning lead-in), but luckily it doesn't burn anything on the disk. This is either due to the motherboard I'm using (Asus A8V-E Deluxe) or the other and worse option is that the drive is DOA. And I don't think the shop likes the new shiny look of it if I tried to get a new one from warranty :hehe:

Secondly there's a problem with my Ghost bootable CD, since the drive doesn't use ATAPI-drivers, the CD is lost and can't load Ghost :wallbash: That's not a malfunction though, just a matter of tweaking :hehe: And finally I tried ripping a DVD and it wasn't a success, I got 2x speeds and when I do it with my old IDE Plextor (712A) it goes up to 12x in no time and it gets the job done. This might also be due to the MB, so Plextor, I'm not giving up on you yet!

The next step is to test the drive in my friends computer which is a month old, so if it was due to the MB, it should work with his computer. If not, I think it'll go down as a sad sad day, but I don't think I'll be buying another Plextor after that. And that is because I saw this Samsung SATA drive which was like 35€, that's pretty damn cheap when put against Plextor (about 100€). Would really like to hold on to my precious Plextor though...

In the mean while I'll be rocking with my LG IDE drive that I have on my shelf.

On with the problems...

The DVD drive Lian Li bezel is also making my teeth grind. It works, but it makes an annoying sound when it opens, it's time to fix that...

[​IMG]

Here is the old one and it is to be replaced with...

[​IMG]

...this, wait, I'm not done yet...

[​IMG]

...much better :hehe:

Here's a whole bunch I did yesterday...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...there's bezels for the DVD drive, Alphacool LCD and the last one is a surprise.

On with it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the new look for the Alphacool LCD, pretty nifty isn't it?

Okay, so let's address the next "problem". Front ports are a good thing, but in my case they can be soo much better. Firstly let's take a look at what the front ports look like now.

[​IMG]

Do you see that amount of wire, me no likey! The problem is that I don't use the integrated soundcard so there's no place for the front audio ports. Also I don't have any use for Firewire ports and if I did there's two of them at the back of the case. Let's cut down on those wires, shall we...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luckily I found this, a small USB hub for 3,5" slot. It also came with an adapter for 5,25" slot, but since it's plastic it doesn't look appealing at all, scrap that! Let's bring out it's new companion...

[​IMG]

...well at least it's aluminium :hehe:

[​IMG]

When put together, it looks much better and only one wire that I have to worry about, yippee! Though I'm not done with this either...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I was polishing the other stuff, I gave this bezel also a quick rundown :thumb:

A tip follows: Now that I've polished quite a bit of alu parts, I've scrapped a few phases from the process. With this kind of "soft" alu I just remove the anodizing with a beltsander and then I attack it with an orbital sander to remove the deeper scratches. So no wetsanding anymore. Then I just put a polishing wheel in the drillpress and go over the part with cutting compound until there are no more scratches from the orbital sander. After that it's polishing compound with cloth wheel and finally a bit of handpolishing either with Mothers or AutoGlym. Figuring this out saved me hours of work :rock:

That's about it for now, in the next part we'll be putting all of this together and back in the case. Stay tuned...

Janne

2. DDarkSide

DDarkSide New Member

All I can say is...SWEET :thumb: :rock:

3. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Very very nice job on polishing(as usual :D ). If you continue like this Jimms is getting rich! Haha!
    Keep up the good work!

4. eegg

eegg New Member

nice!

5. NysoO

NysoO Handcrafted

Very nice!! Can you take pictures of your tools and how the aluminium looks after each steps? :)

6. chase

chase New Member

Sweet, homes.
    This means you're not using the plexi in the front?
    What is the "cutting compund" you are talking about? Wolfcraft?

Petter

7. Darkened

Darkened New Member

Q&A

Thanks for the comments guys, keep them coming...

@NysoO

I can try it if I remember to take the cam to the workplace and remember to take the pics also :hehe:

@chase

Yes, the cutting compound I was talking about is the Wolfcraft one. And for the acrylic, I won't be using the part I made earlier, but there will be acrylic on the front...

Janne

8. Evenge

Evenge Member

I love it! :thumb:

Keep up the good work!

9. NysoO

NysoO Handcrafted

Thanks! That would be very nice.
    All I can say is; Keep up the good work! :)

10. Darkened

Darkened New Member

Peripherals...

What is this, two updates in a row :hehe:

Well I thought that I'd make a small update on the peripherals and other equipment that I use. And if I remember correctly someone even asked me what kind of monitors I'll be using with the Monster. Let's see some of the stuff then...

[​IMG]

Firstly, here's a shot of my desk.

[​IMG]

And here we have my ADSL modem, memorycard reader and one of the Creative GigaWorks T20 speakers.

[​IMG]

For monitors I have two of these bad boys (well year ago they were quite bad :D), Belinea 20,1" widescreen TFT monitors. For now each computer (OM and the Server) has it's own monitor and I'm controlling both computers with the same mouse and keyboard using Synergy. Btw, the pic isn't that great, I had to take them against the sunlight trough the curtains, bare with them.

[​IMG]

I have two of these desks side by side and on the other table there is my Canon Pixma printer and my Skype phone by Linksys.

[​IMG]

Also there's a laptop there from time to time...

[​IMG]

...and under the desk is a friggin' huge laser printer. :hehe:

[​IMG]

Finally there's my chair which is by far the best thing I've bought this year, no more back aches.

That was it for now, I'll probably be back later on today with front-end part 2 update, stay tuned...

Janne

11. dragon-fly

dragon-fly New Member

holy nice peripherals! im jealous!

12. ZenX

ZenX How are you gentlemen?

Yay @ the ADSL Modem, ZyXel something if i'm correct?
    PS: What ISP are you using? Saunalahti lags a lot in Vantaa from time to time...
    But a very nice mod, and it's always plus if you're Finnish =]

13. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Nice setup! What is that other case? Coolermaster?

14. Darkened

Darkened New Member

Q&A

@ZenX

Nice to see other Finnish people here also. And yes, it's Zyxel 660HW-61 and my ISP is Sonera at the moment.

@antiHero

Yeah, it's a Cooler Master Praetorian and there's more about it in this thread, page 17. Check it out.

Janne

15. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Yeah of course now i remember. I have to find that case somewhere its so nice!

16. customh

customh conflagration.

Awesome setup! Can we get a full room shot?

17. Solaris

Solaris New Member

I hope i'm not asking too much, just curious...what do you do for a living? :)

Love your workspace btw :D

18. Darkened

Darkened New Member

More Q&A

@antiHero

Try Only4pro, I think they still have that case in their selection...

@customh

I'll take one once I get OM finished and in it's own place, though there's not much to see, the other side of this room is my kitchen :hehe:

@Solaris

I'm studying at the moment, but I work as a bouncer and also making web pages and fixing computers from time to time.

Janne

19. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Darkened, very nice setup indeed. Nice and cltutter-free!

**EDIT..:: Not reading the post before**

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Dec 2006
  20. Supra55

Supra55 New Member

Lol he mentioned that on the last page at the very bottom.

Tags: