1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Orange Monster, 26 July 2006; Wire routing blocks 16.3.2014

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Darkened, 26 Jul 2006.

1. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Then I say thanks right-back..
    I still think the LL V-series case's are the best-looking available today. Your doing a great job coming up with original ideas to make your project stand out from the crowd, also very clean-work..
    Best of luck with the rest.. :thumb:

2. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

Bookmarked! I love the orange in combination with the black.Looking forward to new updates :thumb:

3. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Thanks a bunch modsquad and Franklin. There's a possible update tomorrow if I get enough work done to actually have something to update on.

And to Franklin, your mod has not been unnoticed by me, I absolutely loved the meticulous work you put in your case. Also awesome work with acrylic, hope I'll get even close to that with this project.

Night everybody.

Janne

4. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Hey all!

Got lots of work done on the project today, but I'm too tired to update now. So I'll be doing it tomorrow when I wake up :D

Nighty night...

Janne

5. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

I canne wait :D

6. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Flawless execution so far. :thumb:
    Very interesting.

7. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Hey again.

My apologies to everyone watching this thread. I'll have to postpone the update to tomorrow due to some unforseen problems with the case and some of the parts going in there.

I'll try to update after I get back from work, that's at about 0500 hours but if I don't get the chance, then it's going to be tomorrow afternoon.

Once again, sorry about disappointing all of you.

Janne

8. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Slot covers...

Greetings!

I'm back with a beaver hat, sorry again about the lack of updates. Though now I'm moving about 300 pics from my camera to my computer, so when I get the pics sorted out, I'll be updating big time.

Today only a small update on the slot covers. Also my DVD burner arrived today and while I was picking it up I bought the PSU for the computer. I was thinking about getting the new Seasonic M-12 modular PSU, but at the last moment decided against it and went with Cooltek 600W Real Plug Power. It had a few things better than the Seasonic. Firstly all of the cables are detachable where Seasonic has fixed ATX, 4- and 8 pin power cables. Secondly Cooltek packs a Papst 120mm fan, where Seasonic has (if I don't remember wrong) an Adda fan. Not a big difference, but I've always been a friend of Papst fans, they do their job, nothing else. Works with me :D Also Cooltek is 600W where Seasonic only provides 500W and on top of things Cooltek was about 35€ cheaper :thumb:

Okay, so what's happened with the slot covers?

[​IMG]

First I slapped some masking tape on them and when they were back in the case, the contours of the "slot cover holes" were drawn on the masking tape.

Then what happened was that I forgot my camera at home when I was doing them, so no pics of the process exist. It was really simple though, just some acrylic cut to 95mm x 12mm pieces, then sanded and polished. Once I had the pieces ready I clamped them on the slot covers and drilled trough both of them using a 3,5mm drillbit. After they were drilled, I deburred the holes and attached the acrylic pieces to the slot covers with M3 hexheads and some shiny dome nuts :thumb:

So what do they look like, let's find out...

[​IMG]

Altogether I made 5 of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They look pretty good don't they :D

[​IMG]

Here's the backside and the dome nuts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally here they are installed in the case, only four of them though, don't know why the fifth wasn't in there, but you'll get the taste.

That's it for tonight, more updates tomorrow...

Janne

Last edited: 21 Aug 2006
  9. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

Sweet DUDE!
    Al the little detailing is awsome, shows that alot of thought is going into the case and you are being rewarded with a great looking case mod.

Keep it up, and im sure we all look foward to your 300 photos ^_^!

10. accro

accro What's a Dremel?

Ahh, beautiful.

11. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Those PCI slot covers are a nice touch; the first time I've seen such a thing. Very nice creative project so far, can't wait to see it start coming together...
    Mod On! :dremel:

12. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

nice detail...Keep it up..

13. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior What's a Dremel?

sweet details. keep it up

14. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Hmm... Quick question... Why didn't you put the Acryllic INSIDE the case instead of outside? Just thinking you would look at the inside of the case more than the back.

15. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Because he wanted the acorn nuts on the inside. That or he LAN's alot and people judge the outside alot.

16. chase

chase What's a Dremel?

Nice work man, have you any idea where i can fin dome nuts here in norway?
    I've been to severel stores, without any luck....

Keep it up ;)

17. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Ok guys, decided against modding today so that I can bring you the long overdue updates. It'll take me a while to go trough the pics and modify and upload them, but when I do, I'll be updating again.

Q&A:

@JaredCO1

The acrylic outside the case, hmmm. Well I don't go to lans too often and the case is going to be installed in a place where those things will never be seen. Just wanted to do something different which will also go along with the PSU silencer window just in case the thing is shown somewhere besides my home :D On the inside it would be cool too, but there already is a lot of acrylic pieces so this time they are on the outside. Thanks for the idea though, I may be using it in some future mod... :thumb:

@chase

Dome nuts shouldn't be too hard to find, just find a place which sells bolts, screws and nuts almost exclusively and you are bound to find them. I've bought mine from a place called Pultti Nurkka which is roughly translated Bolt Corner :D Also here where I live is a shop called Metaplan which is quite a lot bigger seller of bolts and such. But to be exact, zinced (is that a word :D) dome nuts are easy to find, should be in your local hardware store, but if you want them shinyer, you must go with either inox or chromed brass nuts. And those might be a bit more difficult to find. Maybe from a store which sells boat parts, they should have quite a selection of stainless and inox stuff. Good luck with the search!

And to everybody else following the thread, I once again thank you for your patience and support. You can also expect a few updates today...

Janne

18. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Pieces of the puzzle...

Ok, got some of the pics done, so here we go.

As I mentioned earlier, the DVD burner arrived and also I got a new PSU for the project when I was at it. Today I saw something which will go great with the project. I read the article here on Bit-Tech about the new Razer mouse, Krait. After reading that, I thought that it'll go great with the Orange Monster :rock:

Here's some pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Even the box looks good...

[​IMG]

...and so does the mouse. I thought actually that it'd be difficult to use a corded and small mouse after Logitech MX-700, but I really do find myself at home with it, a great and sensitive mouse. I can recommend it even though I've been using it only for about 15 minutes or so :hehe:

[​IMG]

Can you say premodded for my needs :clap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the new PSU, seems like a solid piece of equipment, sleeving is very nice and overall performance should be great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally the Plextor PX-760SA DVD burner, both the PSU and the DVD burner are still to be modded, so we'll see what they'll look like in a few more days...

That's it for now, more to come, probably today. Keep tuned...

Janne

19. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Divider plate installed...

Ok, this is going to be the big one today :rock:

You remember that I was looking for a solution on what to use beneath the divider plate. Well I found this when I was shopping for tools actually.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought it looked cool, so let's work it in the mod. After a bit of measuring, cutting and fitting we had this...

[​IMG]

...not that good of a picture, but couldn't get it to stay still :hehe:

[​IMG]

After cleaning the divider plate with denaturated alcohol I applied some soapy water to make installing the vinyl easier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It went pretty smoothly and after a while the old divider plate looked a bit better :D After it was properly cleaned it was time to slap the acrylic divider plate in there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The divider plate was attached with shortened M4 hexheads and some chrome dome nuts. I have to say that I'm fairly happy how it looks with the carbon fibre vinyl. Hopefully you do too :thumb:

I think I'll do one more update today, so next up: Carbon fibre MB plate...

20. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Carbon fibre MB plate...

Ok, so with the divider plate I brought one material more to this thing, carbon fibre vinyl. I thought it'd look cool if the MB tray/plate would look like it was done from carbon fibre, so this is what I did:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was pretty straightforward thing to do, cut and paste so to speak :hehe:

It should look pretty good once the motherboard is installed.

That's it for tonight, more to come probably tomorrow...

Janne

Tags: