1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Orb, (update) February 6th

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Bloodsmoke, 10 Jan 2006.

1. Bloodsmoke

Bloodsmoke What's a Dremel?

Discussion thread Orb
    I was thinking about doing a project for awhile and just needed the right time. I plan to design and build a case with a vapor cooling system.

Basic Plan:

The dimesions will roughly be 2 foot X 2 foot X 4 foot, it wont all be case and you will soon know why it has to be so large
    Direct evaporator on the cpu and gpu with an airtight humidity controlled area to avoid the need for insulation and dielectric grease.

Specs:

PC Power and Cooling 1 Kilowatt Power Supply
    "Dothan" Pentium M 750
    3 WD 74 GB Raptors Raid 0
    2 Plextor slot load DVD DL Burners
    2 GB Crucial Ballistix
    G-Force something (waiting for a dual gpu card)
    Creative Sound Blaster X-FI
    Asus CT-479
    Asus P4GD1

Basic concept, (I cant draw):
    [​IMG]
    It's a 2 foot X 2 foot X 1 foot base housing the cooing system, power supply, cd/dvd drives, and front panel. The top is a 20 inch diameter airtight sphere housing mother board, pci cards, graphics card, and hard drives.

Merry Christmas!
    [​IMG]

Power supply, PCP&C 1 Kilowatt 1100 watt peak!
    [​IMG]

Motherboard, Asus P4GD1
    [​IMG]
    I got this motherboard from Germany through a friend of a friend. This motherboard was discontinued and now it seems the world is out of stock.

I had a dead CPU and needed to RMA, so I'll continue with the hardware later......

While waiting 1 month for my new CPU I started working on my case and cooling system.

My work area
    [​IMG]

I got 1/8 inch thick 3/4 inch X 3/4 inch aluminum angle stock for the structure of the base.

Cutting 2 foot 45% pieces
    [​IMG]

4 bottom pieces with a wood jig to hold the form before welding.
    [​IMG]

4 top pieces with a wood jig to hold the form before welding.
    [​IMG]

3/5 inch plywood base cut to just shy of 23 3/4 inches square.
    [​IMG]

First of many coats of black gloss paint to the base.
    [​IMG]

Thats all I can do until I get my friend to weld it or the paint to dry.

On to the cooling system!

The victim:
    [​IMG]
    12000 BTU window airconditioner. I need to rip the compressor out to use in this project. 12000 BTU unit should have around a 1HP compressor which is a little overkill for a dual evap system with my heat load, but i can always turn it into a trivap if i ever get suckered into SLI.

Compressor, the heart of any airconditioner.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's it for tonight, I should get the frame welded soon, and I have a ton of parts on the way.

Last edited: 7 Feb 2007
  2. Bloodsmoke

Project: Orb, March 10th

Greetings all,

Discussion for Orb.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 6 Feb 2007
  3. Bloodsmoke

I didn't have any time to work on my project tonight because of a night class.

I did put together a basic plan for my cooling system and I am in the process of ordering parts.

I hope it is easy to understand.
    [​IMG]

4. Bloodsmoke

Just a small update today.

Alot of my parts came today. I'm still waiting on the upper sphere and the face mold. I got alot of acrylic and arms

They look very life-like and kinda freak me out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I should mount this in one of the hands :D
    [​IMG]

Anyway I just got a primer coat on tonight.

Right:
    [​IMG]
    very erie in the dark

Left:
    [​IMG]

Both:
    [​IMG]
    I hope to get the arms to have a nice silver metallic finish, not quite as shiny as chrome, kinda like a silver surfer look

I got a few more coats on my base board it should be ready when my frame gets back from being welded.

Also I cut some of the garbage copper tubing off of my compressor just to get it ready for next week (hopefully).

Thats it for tonight,

5. Bloodsmoke

Greetings all, havent had time to post recently, but I have been working on my project.

I got about 8 coats of metallic paint on my arms, and they look very good.
    I used Rust-Oleum Metallic silver metal finnish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close up of the hand, it got pritty good, feels very smooth
    [​IMG]

I added a few coats of paint to my compressor and my base. The base needs another coat, but the compressor turned out very good considering you won't see it =)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also got my frame back from being welded.
    Roughly it's 13inches, by 24 inches, by 24 inches. The front of it is tilted back 3 inches to allow a better view angle of the contols

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another thing I have been working on is the face thats going to sit beneath the orb.

I used a product called castolite, its a chemical that when you add the hardener it becomes a clear hard plastic in what ever form of your mold.

[​IMG]

I have never used it before, and didn't know what to expect. The instructions said up to 2 inches thick, well i tried 4 inches, it hardened but not well. The mold, a mask didn't react well with it and the finnish got bumpy, also their is a large crack in it :duh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided to try it again useing what i had learned, just waiting on some colored dye. I'm going to use speaker grill material for the eyes like this, but in the plastic.
    [​IMG]

This is what the mold im using looks like, I like the color, but i want light to go through it, so im probobly going to mix glitter or metal flakes with it. Also im going to do it in 1 inch layers so it shouldnt shrink as much.

[​IMG]

Thats pritty much all I did so far, here is some other materials that just came in.

Some plexi rod, tube and angle pieces for later on

[​IMG]

This is a few 1/8 inch sheets of tinted plexi, blue, orange, yellow, red, and alot of green.

[​IMG]

The thing im most excited about is the two domes to form the air-tight orb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it for this post, I hope to get my cooling stuff soon, I have a store for everything. The condensor im probobly going to pull from a car, but it got cold as heck here in PA, so i may wait on that.

Just wanted to add, been playing with Fedora Core 5 Test 2 on my server. For any linux users, it is far superior to Fedora 4.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Feb 2006
  6. Bloodsmoke

I finally got my CPU back from RMA, atacom.com has the worst RMA policy ever.....

Anyway, now that I can actually boot up it seems as good a time as any to go through my parts list.

Here is my power supply, PC Power and Cooling 1KW. Great power supply, all my lines have very little fluxuation and they are all correct or over the voltage. It's a little over power (66A :rock: ), but it's definatly futureprof, and with a company like PCP&C it's worth it.
    [​IMG]

Here is my motherboard, an ASUS P4GD1. This was one of the few/only boards that took DDR ram, PCI-E GFX card non-sli, and could still use a Dothan. Asus stopped production of the board to puch their flagship model, so I luckly hooked up with a friend and had it shipped in from Germany, one of the last places to get one. The bios however needed to be flashed, at 1003 bios version it could not use a CT-479, so It had to be booted with a regular P4 then flashed to a later version, 1006 :sigh:
    [​IMG]

Since it is a Pentium M in a Desktop we need some sort of adapter

CT-479, it goes from a standard P4 socket to a Pentium M socket. It needes 12 volt power through a floppy power connector, and it has a jumper to adjust FSB, 100 or 133. My chip is a dothan 750, so it could be set to 133 or 100. However, i have been told i could Overclock more if i set it to 100. I didn't play around with it, and it's a bit early, OCing on air cooling that won't make a difference, phase change is another story :brrr:

Here is the CT479 stock heatsink, its hard to use one thats not stock due to the jumpers and power plug.
    [​IMG]

Here is the actual card:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the chip, for those who have never seen one you will notice no heat spreader. This leads to a problem that the core sticks up .083 millimeters, their is a shim on the bottom of the heatsink so the only thing your cooling is the black core. If it wasn't for the shim you could crack the core.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the thermalpaste i used, its the ceramique arctic silver, It's not as good as the arctic silver 5, but during testing i would rather use a nonconductive thermal paste.
    [​IMG]

Here is the RAM I used, it's Crucial Ballistix twin pair 1 GHZ sticks. This particular memory uses the Micron -5B D ram chips the best in my opinion in terms of bandwidth. Their was a bad batch going around when I bought mine where the PCB, not the chip would burn out, I hope that doesn't happen to mine, but thats why their is RMAing :lol:
    [​IMG]

Here is my current GFX card, it was $63 on Newegg, a real pos. Its a good test card I will probobly just get a 7800GTX now that I know duel core GFX cards still need a SLI capable Motherboard.....It's a Rosewill GeForce 6XXX im not even sure.
    [​IMG]

Since the raid contoller on the board is junk, like most integrated controllers I needed to get a Raid controller. This one is a XFX REVO 64 with a Netcell raid controller. It is 95% hardware, meaning no F6 for drivers. I say 95% because some forms of linux it won't work with the kernel. It's a very nice card and it can do Raid 0, 1, or 3. I did a raid 0 or stripe, I was going to use 3 drives, but the card is with raid 0 with 2 or 4 drives, so I needed 1 more.
    [​IMG]

Sound card, I opted for the Creative X-Fi Fatality. It seemed over priced to me, but I heard it was the best and games will eventually utilize it. The contoller is definalty an upgrade compared to the Creative Audigy 2, however it's the same frequency. so 2 computers in the same room =( Lans should be fun, power button on a soundcard remote....why?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a PCI riser card. I had the problem that the board has 3 PCI 32 bit slots, and 3 PCI 1X slots. Nothing I need uses a PCI 1X slot so they seems useless. However, When I put in my Sound and Raid contoller cards it's to close to my GFX card when I get an evaporator on it. This gets the cards over and turns them on a 90 degree.
    [​IMG]

Here is my CD/ DVD drives. I got 2 slot load plextors. They do it all, even burn DL disks.
    [​IMG]

For my hard drives I chose WD 74GB raptors. 4 of them will be in a Raid 0 array. The 134GB drives are to expensive and new for me to look into them. Also they are only slightly better than the 74GB drives.
    [​IMG]

(legos is their anything they can't do :D )
    [​IMG]

One of the fans im just using for testing, less than $1 a piece on newegg, can't beat that.
    [​IMG]

7. Bloodsmoke

Here is all the pieces currently being tested. I just want to make sure they all work before I OC the heck out of them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the keyboard im using. I figured it's time I get into wireless.
    [​IMG]

This is my mouse, it's a logitech MX1000. It's very sweet works on any surface and doesn't bounce around like an optical mouse.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats pritty much all the parts, here are a few bios screens.

This is the main screen showing the usual bios stuff
    [​IMG]

Here is the menu to adjust clocks and voltages. With a little math you can determine that it is already overclocked. The multiplier is 14 and my FSB is 175 14 X 175 = 2450, stock for this chip is 1860.
    [​IMG]

This shows what BIOS thinks my Clock and FSB is. If you notice, my FSB is very low which doesn't help my Ram, and Dothans only have enough bandwidth to kick ass when they have over 200fsb. It's hard to get above 175fsb with a stock heatsink on air with 1.3Vcore voltage. Phasechange cooling should get me well above 175 if my chip is a good clocker.
    [​IMG]

This is just the RAM clock bios screen. The default is 3 4 4 15, I can do alot better with Crucial, but for right now 3 4 4 8 will do.
    [​IMG]

In windows I just wanted to show my clock and run a 1M Super Pi. 33seconds :rock: not bad considering it runs 40-45C on stock air with a 31% overclock.
    [​IMG]

Like i said the FSB is very low, but with a 14 multiplier it's hard to get it higher under air. However useing the EIST tool I can lower my multiplier to 12
    this lowers my clock to 2100.
    [​IMG]

Then with clock gen I can raise my FSB to over 200 with ease. 205 is all I want to go on air, no need to hurt anything. One thing to watchout for with clockgen and EIST is it doesn't carry over on a reboot. Also sometimes clockgen will freeze but you could raise the FSB in bios and it is 100% stable. Also if you ever hit a wall in bios you can usually clock higher in windows because before and during the POST the CPU is running at 100% usage. A simple Vmod to the CT-479 should help with this
    [​IMG]

Here I ran Super PI with the New FSB. Remember the clock is basically the same, 2450, however the FSB is 30mhz higher. This knocks a full 1.25 seconds off my Super PI score, not bad.
    [​IMG]

Isn't OCing FUN!

I hope to get a 25second Super PI when all is completed.

That's it for this post, I hope to get started on my cooling system for the next post.

Last edited: 9 Feb 2006
  8. allforcarrie

allforcarrie Banned

creeyest mod ever!

9. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

very interesting and ambitious. Looks very similar to my upcomming mod. Out of curiosity where did you get your 2 acrylic domes and how much did it cost, mine are on the way from canada, but they are a bit bigger

10. Bloodsmoke

I got mine for $74 from Global Plastics, which is also in Canada. They are 20 inch by 10 inch with a 1 inch flange.

11. Fahey

Fahey What's a Dremel?

looks good

12. metarinka

ahoy I got mine from global plastics as well. They are 24x10 with a 1/2" flange, but they cost me 130ish shipped. How are you going to seal your dome? I was going to make a giant spacer with acrylic or metal, but trying to cut a perfect circle is never easy (although I do have access to a waterjet and circle cutter) then I would just use Bolts maybe 10 or so. I suppose the big difference is that everything will be in the sphere on my case and Im going for a custom watercooled setup

anyways good luck I'll be watching this project

13. Bloodsmoke

Small update this time.

I got the final coat of paint on the base, gloss black makes it very shiny.
    [​IMG]

Here it is sitting in the base frame.
    [​IMG]

I also started working on the face. The first one I made didn't turn out so good :grr:
    [​IMG]

So I started working on another one. :thumb:

I got castomold, its made by the same company as castolite.
    [​IMG]

I poured it over the mask, but it didnt turn out very well. I think the surface is just to big and uneven
    [​IMG]

Also, the inside stuck to the mask leaving some silver behind.
    [​IMG]

Knowing that that wasnt going to work I decided to try my origional way with a few variations. I but two masks inside of eachother for support and I put them in a clay form that seemed to work well.
    [​IMG]

Finally i was reasy to pour it. I added silver glitter to the resin to make it look more like the arms. I also added a crystal to the head
    [​IMG]

I also used a piece of speaker cover to cut pieces for the eyes.
    [​IMG]

I had to paint it black, who wants tan eyes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Befor I poured it I used some lubricant on the inside of the mask to keep it from sticking.
    [​IMG]

It turned out well. The crystal was crooked so I had to pop it out. Once it was recentered I added a painted piece of mask to give it a finnishing touch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here it is with the crystal lit up. It's green, but it most likely will be red(dont have red right now)
    [​IMG]

And with the lights off
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With the base finally to my likeing I should get all the piece bolted together so I can figure out the lengh of the flexhose needed for my cooling system.

Hope to get that stuff soon, later :thumb:

14. Bloodsmoke

Sorry for my delay in getting back with you been real busy with college

I thought about silicone but I need to open it alot. I'm probably going to bolt it and put a big o-ring in 1/4 inch on the flange to seal it. Since my temps are going to be -20c to -30c mine needs to be as airtight as possible so moisture doesn't leak in since I dont plan on insulating around my DDs.

15. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

remind anybody else of that statue in 'Deus Ex' in the MJ12 HQ.

16. metarinka

how much weight do you recon these spheres can handle? looking your design you have it resting on 2 arms is there going to be some sort of internal frame or support? I only wonder because mine will end up holding about 2 gallons of water on top of the normal bits and bobs, The majority of the weight will be supported by an internal frame I've built up but that still leaves the top half in compression and the bottom in tension which is what I'm really worried about.
    that head looks really nice, if not a bit freaky. keep up the good work

17. Bloodsmoke

I'm going to have square aluminum tube in the arms, and a piece across the bottom of the sphere makeing an arch. The domes themselves shouldn't have a problem holding it, I just dont want it to break off if it gets to far off center. I don't think 2 gallons would be a problem as long as its supported enough.

18. cysus

cysus What's a Dremel?

The P4GD1 is rare, great find! Looks like a nice mod.

19. Hegemon

Hegemon What's a Dremel?

Cool idea! I'm definitely watching this one! :)

20. Bloodsmoke

Over the past few days I have been working on attaching the ball to the arms and the arms to the frame.

The first thing i needed to do was get the arms cut to length, I cut about 5 inches of the upper arm off and I made a square hole below the wrist to alow the support tubing to come out.
    [​IMG]

The arms themselves are hollow and made of 1/16 inch thick fiberglass. Because its so thin the arms will hold no weight. Inside each arm is a 3/4 pices of aluminum square tubing. Each support is connected with 4 of these brackets.
    [​IMG]

And this is how it connects
    [​IMG]

Here is the top of it, a bolt in inserted through the top of the arm to attach the pieces together.
    [​IMG]

Here is the frame with both support posts bolted to it.
    [​IMG]

With the arms on them
    [​IMG]

This is the bar that spans the two arms and holds the ball.
    [​IMG]

A coat of flat black
    [​IMG]

To attach the two pieces together I stick it in the arm and put a bolt down where the hand connects to the arm.
    [​IMG]

My socket just fits :thumb:
    [​IMG]

Now, to attach the ball to the arms I decided to use 2 round circles of steel and a few pieces of threaded rod.

Here are the clrcles, useing this eliminates the posibility of cracking the ball if to much stress is on a bolt head, this distributes the stress evenly.
    [​IMG]

I'm using 5 small pieces of 1/4 inch threaded rod
    [​IMG]

Now, since I need this to be as airtight as possible I'm going to use rubber washers on each hole.
    [​IMG]

Also, under the steel circle im using a ruber washer from a sink drain to seal the edge.
    [​IMG]

This is a top down view with it al bolted together
    [​IMG]

View from the bottom
    [​IMG]

Closeup of everything connected
    [​IMG]

:thumb:
    [​IMG]