1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: OSIDIAS - Carbon fiber and 3D printed SFF (Jan. 2, 2020)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by craigbru, 2 Jun 2010.

1. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Exactly, there's nothing like the real thing. It may take a little work, but it's worth it in the end. :D

Lol, I've got a small update to post shortly. :thumb:

2. craigbru

Although it's not quite as large an update as you all were expecting, I did manage to get a few things done over the weekend. A lot of people have questioned why I wanted to bother sanding down the case and adding another layer of fiber. Well, I've got a few pics that can hopefully show you in more detail why I wasn't happy. At this point, the case is sanded and ready for it's last layer of CF. It's nowhere as pretty as it was before the sanding, but that will be remedied soon. Trust me... :D

[​IMG]

Now, here is the best way I can show you the before and after examples of the 'rounded' edges I was speaking of. This should make things pretty clear. This is a before pic, taken of the excess I cut off of one of the ends...

[​IMG]

Now take a look at the after. You can see there is no more rounded edge, and I'm much happier.

[​IMG]

Okay, now with that out of the way, it's time to move on to the side panels. I'll be working on them until I have more regular CF arrive to finish the case itself. As you are about to see, making the molds for these panels is a whole lot easier than before. Two bends and I was golden. This nice piece of aluminum will be the basis of what is to come.

[​IMG]

A few bends later...

[​IMG]

Now I've just got to get the CF/Kevlar blend cut to size, and I can get the fiber laid down. Hopefully tomorrow!

[​IMG]

3. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli I get by fine with a jig-saw.

What?! In between checking the thread and going back to the Project Logs section you get an update in? That is sneaky Craig... sneaky.

It makes me sad that there is no more beautiful CF in that update, but I know you will be good to your word and bring it back...

4. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

Kevlar and CF blend? What are you going to be doing with that thing??? Rage-kicking it across the room? lol

I suppose that you are going to use the kevlar/Cf to make the shape and then you are going to put a final layer of the normal pwetty stuff to finish it off?

Cause that pink, while I understand it's strength properties, looks pretty bad...:S

5. TARIKK

TARIKK Minimodder

:) a bulletproof case :)
    This is getting more and more interesting.

6. nlancaster

nlancaster Minimodder

that pink will probably turn red with resin.

right craig? otherwise, what are you thinking?

7. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

Why is your kevlar pink? It's normally a mustardy yellow.

8. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

It bet he is hiding us this case is designed to go on mars with next mission. That's why he builds so incredibly strong panel.

9. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

I think it's just an exposure thing(white balance). It should be an orange-ish red color.

10. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

I see what you mean about the corner now. I was a little confused at first but I agree it looks much better now. That Kevlar/CF blend its going to look dead sexy when is done :cooldude:

11. craigbru

Lol, I was wondering how long it would take for someone to notice I made an update. I can't believe you guys let 35 minutes pass by. :D

Oh yes, it will be back and look better than ever. :thumb:

It's gonna be a bulletproof case... literally. You know, just in case the next LAN gets a little out of control. :D

The Kevlar is actually orange. That's a bad pic. It's really quite a bold orange in person. I didn't take the following pic, but it's the closest to the real color.

[​IMG]

Haha, well, as awesome as that would be, I've not taken any calls from NASA yet.

Yes, my white balance is out of whack when I take pictures in the shop. I need to get a filter setup and fix that before I post them.

Thanks man. I know I wasn't doing a very good job of explaining it before.

Hopefully tonight I'll get some resin down on those side panels!

12. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

I am so amazed buddy. imagine that I saw the update, I left the forums, came back and then I decided to comment but still cant find something to say.
    Innovations in our domain is always exciting and so interesting please keep on rollin on this path! Mod on man :)

13. czm

czm What's a Dremel?

Ouch...

So nice:thumb:

14. craigbru

Thanks mate! I always try to innovate. That's where all the fun is!

Thanks czm! :D

15. Monsta

Monsta Dremel Blades in ma head!

No... I think it's to keep his hardware safe until he's a made man... :p

Craig, u shouldn't keep buying ur hardware from Frankie "the Fish" & Jimmy "the Blade" :nono:

16. Shadow703793

Shadow703793 What's a Dremel?

Imo, plain CF or red (hex: FF0000 or B22222) would look better.

17. craigbru

Lol, I ain't sayin' nuttin'!

I had never considered plain CF, because I wanted more color. However, red was my second choice.

Since the side panels and ribs are the only thing using the Kevlar blend, it's entirely possible to change colors at a later time without too much difficulty. I have to stick with the orange for now since I already have it. It will be a nice contrast.

18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Wow. I forgot about the ORANGE.

19. craigbru

Yeah, I won't be able to get an update posted until sometime tomorrow, but I've been playing with the Kevlar. I've got 5 layers coated with resin on a side panel now. I've decided to do the same 'sanding and then another layer' procedure I've done on the rest of the case. I think I'm getting the best results that way. I'll tell you what though, Kevlar is a pain in the ass to cut. It doesn't like to cut cleanly. It's just an early reminder of what it will likely be like on the CNC. I'm probably going to have to spend some decent cash on end mills for composites...

20. craigbru

You guys are so lucky! I've decided to post this instead of going to bed. Lol.

Well, I've got a little more work done on the side panels. I'm using the same molding process as the case, but it's nowhere near as complex this time around. Here is the Kevlar/carbon fiber blend laid out and ready for marking... Isn't it pretty?

[​IMG]

I've marked out the fiber, and am making my cuts here. This stuff truly sucks to cut. Even with a specialty shears, it has a tendency fray and not cut cleanly. I wouldn't ever attempt this with regular scissors. I would imagine you would slit your wrists in frustration.

[​IMG]

Now finally, here are 5 layers of fabric freshly removed from the vacuum bag. I've still got plastic peel ply on it, but that will come off tomorrow. I'm going to sand a little, and add one more layer of Kevlar. The same procedure I used on the rest of the case, should get me pretty good results. The trick will be in finding the perfect piece of fiber for the top layer. The weave on this blend is very sensitive, much more so than with regular carbon fiber. Every little flaw or misalignment seems magnified 10 fold. I'll manage though... or go insane trying!

[​IMG]

Tomorrow I'll get the other panel started, and sand this first one. Then I've got to get an end mill or two ordered for the Romaxx CNC. I'll be using it to cut out the side panels. I'll do a few test runs first, since I don't want to screw one of these up. Mistakes would be costly...