1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: OSIDIAS - Carbon fiber and 3D printed SFF (Jan. 2, 2020)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by craigbru, 2 Jun 2010.

1. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

You guys haven't seen this, but this is my working design. This is what I see every time I open ViaCAD... The orange carbon fiber/fiberglass is pretty dang close, wouldn't you say?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

My vote is A) Orange Carbon fiber/fiberglass blend

Btw, I love your design. Looks mad cool. I will be watching this one for the long run.

3. nlancaster

nlancaster Minimodder

Orange fiberglass

4. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

ORANGE!!!!!

Then again I am biased :p

5. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

saved!
    i love the orange
    so chalk up another one for it :D

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Orange!

7. shah

shah Minimodder

Orange please and that looks fab.

Last edited: 9 Jul 2010
  8. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Holy maoly this is fantastic!!!!!!!!!! Man I vote for orange even though I would prefer if it was possible a little more bright and close to the real orange color something like this
    http://www.techdigest.tv/orange.jpg

But I believe even if you add pink (lol) that build is so awesome I wouldnt bother! Mod on!

9. matt...

matt... Slacker

Orange gets my vote too - can't believe all the carbon fibre loveliness this thread contains!

10. craigbru

Thanks mate! I appreciate it!

Done!

That's true, Cold Lava is some orange sexiness! TEC too! Gotta love it!

Noted man!

Lol, that's funny. I'm a pretty big fan of British humor myself. I probably have BBC (America), on more than any other channel.

How could I say no at this point?

Thanks Alex! I wouldn't mind if it were a bit brighter as well, and that's what first caught my attention with the Kevlar. After sleeping on it, I'm now even more confident that orange is the way to go. I'm not sure why I even bothered to think otherwise. It's nice to see the b-t community share that same opinion.

Thanks matt! If you like what you've seen so far, it's just the beginning! :D

11. craigbru

For anyone that has been following the project details closely, you'll have noticed I've got quite a few holes that need to be cut in the exterior of the case. Since I tend to try for perfect execution, I needed a very reliable and accurate method of marking those holes out on the case. I used the following method on the Rogue with great success, and will continue it here.

This is a transparent adhesive sheet used for printing labels. It's simply a matter of printing out the guidelines, which is made even easier since the entire project was designed in CAD. If you look closely, you can see an additional guideline extending to the left and right on the lower part of the design. This will help in placement.

[​IMG]

Next was the matter of proper alignment on the case. While it's pretty easy to place the sheet, I triple checked the measurements since they had to be perfect.

[​IMG]

Stick around for more! I'll have an update this weekend!

12. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

You could use the kevlar to coat your work surfaces. Would be pretty cool. Or... or cover your entire car with it. Would look stupid, but interesting.

13. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

Or cover your front door with it!

14. jesterod

jesterod What's a Dremel?

i vote orange and it sad that the kevlar is so hard to work with the panels looked beautiful

15. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Bullet-proof(ish) phone cover?

16. craigbru

Lol, that sounds good in theory, but staring at the fiber for too long makes your eyes go a little funny. That's the last thing I need when I mod. A car would be insane man.

Haha, I'm not thinking the wife would approve.

Yep, I'll definitely be going with the orange. Not a single person wanted anything different. The panels do look good, but their looks come at a cost I'm not willing to pay. Regardless of the material used, I am on a budget here. I'd rather spend money on tangible things like hardware, than on somebody else's time.

That would be cool. I've also been thinking a laptop would be a good candidate. I don't happen to have one that is functioning now though...

17. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

A kevlar laptop skin would be amazing. Save it for when you get one.

18. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

stick around and your using stickers
    har har har

19. craigbru

Oh, I'll save it for sure. There's a fair bit left, and it's still too awesome to waste.

Lol, I made a terrible pun and didn't even realize it.

20. craigbru

Okay guys, I had to make a little time for something unrelated to carbon fiber. It also has nothing to do with actual modding. What follows is just an example of why I've said that the planning for the case is only about 95% finished. Little things like this are always changing and being added. I live for the little details that some take for granted.

So, what we have here is an integrated heatsink for the water pump. It also doubles as a vibration proof mount for the pump via grommets. Once in place, air from the radiator fans will help with the cooling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This heatsink will make it's way to my CNC machine in the future. You can also see that I've changed the interior parts over to carbon fiber. Creative mold making will be coming!