1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: OSIDIAS - Carbon fiber and 3D printed SFF (Jan. 2, 2020)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by craigbru, 2 Jun 2010.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I wholeheartedly agree with this :). When you said it's strong it was kinda just words to me as I've never messed with CF so don't know what it's like & then you got your daughter to stand on it :hehe: ok good example, not just a word now :D & it's extremely light too, too awesome Craig :), crazy good looks, form, function, nice & small, very very impressive so far Craig.

Puts my wideload case with bags of space to shame :hehe:, can't help but think what you would do with so much space lol :D.

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Ahem. I actually took the moral high ground and making an inappropriate comment, I just smiley responded to another smiley.. I thought I did pretty well considering my *illness*.

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I'll skip your blatant opening for *illness* jokes too.

4. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

:naughty:

5. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

You guys ain't right. :rock:

6. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Lol, no doubt. You never know what to expect with this crew!

I may have heard that a time or two... I'm much to modest to let it go to my head though. :D I just do this for fun, and to challenge myself. It's a whole lot more interesting to try something I've never done, than to retread places I've been.

Thanks Waynio. I probably could have put the wife on there, but as I told her, then I'd have to post her weight too... and she politely declined. Lol. I'm not sure how much more weight it could actually hold, but there's certainly potential for more. I wasn't interested in finding the breaking point though. I'm now looking into making the cage out of carbon fiber as well. The biggest determining factor will be the cost, as I'll need quite a few layers of CF to get the thickness I want.

I'm really not sure what I'd do with a larger case. Phase change likely...:D

No, no they're not... They keep it interesting though! :D

7. Jolly-Swagman

Jolly-Swagman "Hands of The Gods"

Man that is some Awesome work craigbru, went through whole worklog, and totally blown away, this is looking magnificent, well done bro!

8. craigbru

Thank you! I do appreciate it! If you like what you've seen so far, then you'll really love what's to come. I've barely started! :D

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

work faster, i just subscribed i want to see the finished article, looks good so far.

you need to get yourself an ultrasonic cutter, fixed to a plotter type machine(maybe mod the cnc machine with it) that way, you might have been able to save some material/resin, and cutting later

10. craigbru

Thanks man! I'm hoping for another update sometime tomorrow night.

I'm sure I could have saved some resin and a little fiber with a cutting method like that, since I'd have less waste. I don't think I could have saved much of the later cutting though. Not many of my pieces are anything that would fit well on a CNC. Most has to be measured and cut as I work. It's really not as bad as I thought it would be when it comes to the regular CF.

11. craigbru

Okay guys, I'm looking to live stream some work tonight. It will most likely be between 8~11pm central standard time. You can catch the stream at either of the following two links. One is on my site, the other is on the Livestream site. Either will be the same, and commenting during the stream is easy, although I won't likely respond to much until I'm done working.

http://losias.net/losias-live/

http://www.livestream.com/losiastechnologies

Since I do things on the fly, I usually record in segments. It keeps the filler and wasted screen time to a minimum. Also, no one really wants to sit down and watch a 2 hour video. I try to keep most under 30 minutes.

So, you can feel free to check either link at your convenience. Also, one of the easiest ways to see when I'm streaming is to follow my twitter feed. It's @craigbru'. I usually send a message when I'm about to go live.

Tonight I plan on finishing up the rest of my case holes!

12. shah

shah Minimodder

Yesss Craigbru on tele :clap: :rock:

13. craigbru

Lol. It's more dust and noise than anything.

14. shomann

shomann Minimodder

I think it takes serious cajones to live stream your work. If I did that, you guys would see a lot of head scratching with a big WTF look on my face the whole time ;)

Good luck tonight Craig!

15. SPNKR

SPNKR Pretty Good Kid

I might watch tonight if I'm bored. I have been following this project, it is very impressive so far. I really can't wait to see how those lcd windows turn out, its such a cool idea, and you could do so much with it, so it will be interesting to see how you implement it.

Your carbon fiber work is impressive to say the least, and its more like CRAZY. I also really appreciate that you are so OCD about quality; it really shows in the final product (at least what you have so far), and ideas and plans that have this much potential deserve to have the build quality to match.

As for carbon fiber's strength, for those of you interested, look at where its used in autosports and high-end sports car design. The carbon monocoque design that F1 cars are built around, for example, allows the body of the car to be the supporting feature, and its modularity allows them to fully assemble a new car from prefabbed parts in under 24 hours, in the event of a crash or failure.

I think it was a video on the design of the new McLaren MP12-4C (I do love you Brit's cars :))that I was watching, where the entire frame of the car--molded from carbon fiber--could be lifted by a normal person no problem; it weighed like 30 pounds or something crazy light. The stuff is very strong.

Also, It always bothers me when I see a build with carbon-look film. I don't know exactly why, but it almost seems like they are counterfeiting something (no offense to anyone, personal opinion), so I really honestly love this build so far, its straight up legit.

But yeah, I will keep following this thing for sure, keep up the sick work, and don't inhale too much carbon!

Have Fun!
    -SPNKR

Last edited: 21 Jul 2010
  16. craigbru

Thanks bro! If I have any WTF moments, I usually stop recording. Lol, nobody wants to see me just spacing off for 20 minutes. Actually, they wouldn't see anything but my hands since I record from the top down.

Thanks man! I definitely wanted to take an original approach. Not only in looks, but in function and building techniques. This is my first scratch build, and I wanted nothing but my exact vision. It may be OCD, and it will no doubt cost me extra time and money, but I can't have it any other way.

The CF is definitely an amazing material. I continue to be impressed every time I work with it. As I've mentioned before, the only two downsides are cost, and the mess. The cost is what it is, and I budget for it just like everything else. In the grand scheme of a projects cost, it's not that bad. As for the mess, well, I just work well protected. :D

17. craigbru

I got about 2 hours worth of streaming in tonight guys. Unfortunately I've got no still pictures of my progress. I did manage to get the other hole for the LCD circuit board done, as well as the hole in the top of the case. I've got one more hole to put in the left side for the PSU, and then a small hole in the bottom of the case for ventilation on the pico-itx board that will be located there.

http://livestre.am/glpt

http://livestre.am/gl6b

http://livestre.am/gkTY

18. craigbru

Someone at XS asked me for an overview of how the wireless networking and control was set up in this machine. Since I took the time to answer him there, I thought I'd post it here as well for those that might be interested.

Okay, here's a brief overview of the wireless networking and monitoring setup. It's sometimes a little hard to wrap your head around, but I'll try and give a clear explanation.

I've basically got 3 complete computer systems in this case. I've got the main system consisting of the Asus matx board and associated components. Then I've got a Via pico-itx system acting as an always-on file server, and information monitor. Finally, I've got the Viliv UMPC that sits on the front of the case. These 3 systems are connected by both an internal ethernet hub, and an Asus wireless access point. The wireless network is used for information sharing and control by the Viliv. The Viliv is obviously a wireless only connection, but the other systems can connect either wired or wireless, and be independent of any other system.

Since the pico is always on, it serves to relay most of the system information. It will be attached to an Aquaero and Multiswitch, which in turn is responsible for all watercooling, temp sensors, and lighting. It will also allow me to turn the main system on and off through the Viliv. All the information I need on the Viliv will be relayed using a Samurize front end. Samurize's own network monitoring functionality, as well as the Aquaero software will allow for real time monitoring of the pico and main system functions. Now, of course since the Viliv is wireless, and always connected to the OSIDIAS network, I can just detach it from the case and use it as a remote.

Does that help explain things a little? Feel free to ask if it doesn't.

19. craigbru

One more thing... It's just occurred to me that there are probably quite a few of you who didn't see my planning thread for this project. If that's the case, you may have a few questions about the Viliv UMPC that I mentioned above. To allay any confusion, below is a pic and a link.

[​IMG]

http://www.myviliv.com/eng/product/x70ex.asp

20. SPNKR

SPNKR Pretty Good Kid

[​IMG]

Dawg we heard you like comps so we put a comp in your comp so you can game while you game!:D

Sorry I had to.

That thing is boss though...MMMM this build is gonna be sick.

It would be slick if you used something like this installed on the mini pc to control your water loop--you are water cooling right?--I should go read the planning thread, but I'm at work...:D

Sweet thing there though, now I can't wait even more!

Have Fun!
    -SPNKR