1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Overdrive

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by txi, 29 Sep 2002.

1. txi

txi What's a Dremel?

Well... my first modding attempt. The name comes from the cpu that was inside that case > a Intel Overdrive 486sx-25 >=P . Yea, it is that lousy, cuz i'm a poor schoolkid (10th grade) and have little spare money, that i'm keeping for a coming up project. ;)
    So, i think you are already starting to think . o O (can we cut the crap talk and see some pics??) .

the case as i received it..not such a beauty, huh?
    [​IMG]
    a pic of the inside
    [​IMG]

So, i got that case a while ago, so i have some progress pics also..

top panel of the case, now painted and with a hole(nvm the inner part being a bit crappy, that will be overpainted..)
    [​IMG]
    the front panel
    [​IMG]
    the metal frame of the case, rear shot(not yet sanded...)
    [​IMG]
    frame, front shot(also not yet sanded, the front panel will be attatched to it so none of it will be visible)
    [​IMG]
    yeah, the money shot :p showing the upcoming mirror finish on the bottom of the metal frame. (yea, i got the idea from macro's culance ;) )
    [​IMG]

so, that's all for the commented pics. some more available at http://txi.l33t.ee/_mod/overdrive/progress/

/me out, 'til further notice ;)

2. blitzer

blitzer What's a Dremel?

looks interesting.

paint the "lines" too (I couldn't come up with a better word (not even in my native language)), and you probably won't understand what I'm talking about anyway.

I recommend you to install Debian GNU/Linux on that little toddler.

Last edited: 29 Sep 2002
  3. Tribal Dragon

Tribal Dragon Insomniac modder!

you should paint those lines bars... maybe another color:D

will look cool with the window and the tribal! ;)

will you etch the tribal or...?

4. txi

txi What's a Dremel?

ups, i forgot to add, that i'm going to paint those lines. i just haven't yet decided what color i shall use. my current choices are silver vs chrome. thought of those colours, cuz i hope they will help me to achieve the sleek&stylish look. at least in my vision, sleek and stylish :p

[edit] heh, thought, that someone would be curious enough to see, what i had in /progress-s parent directory ;) . no, i thought of a little bit different viewpoint, than etching...you'll see ;) [/edit]

5. tipsterb

tipsterb What's a Dremel?

looks promising, keep us informed, as i would like to c how it cums out, :naughty:

6. inder

inder Mr.Modtown

id paint those black, then colour it what you wish, to get a better finish (well i think it would)

hmm, me goes folder up,,,,,,, please say that design is going on the top ;)

7. txi

txi What's a Dremel?

yeah, inder, ur right ( if i got your msg as you meant it :D ). this tribal symbol is going to be on the top of the case... but...but i have not yet decided yet, which pic to use. probably it won't be from the selection available in http://txi.l33t.ee/_mod/overdrive/ . i have a graphics designer friend and he told me, that he would come up with something, but i haven't yet got any response from him :sigh: but another idea popped into my head today, while i was opening my second bacardi breezer :rock: the bacardi logo(the bat) pretty much rocks :D ;)

8. kanuslupus

kanuslupus Minimodder

I'm curious... will any of the 'mirror' finish be visible?

9. txi

txi What's a Dremel?

at the moment, only place, where it will be visible is the rear i/o panel, but nothing guarantees, that i won't pop into some other great idea, for example to use the bottom "almost"mirror look :D :D

and as a sidemark, the mirror finish on the metal parts wasn't/isn't my main goal on this mod, just a lil' detail..

10. kanuslupus

kanuslupus Minimodder

Nod. I didn't think it was, but was curious, 'cause it doesn't appear that much will be visible under 'normal' use. Bottom towards the desk, backside away from the user etc. Looks like it will be a nice case when you are finished.

11. Yammosk

Yammosk What's a Dremel?

You mean this bat !!!!

[​IMG]

Yammosk

12. txi

txi What's a Dremel?

ow yea, i meant that one :D
    damn, hoped i would be the first one... :wallbash:
    so...then i'll just have to think of something else....thinking..bah...:p

13. POMPE

POMPE What's a Dremel?

looks interesting, i myself have an old 486@100mhz laying around somewhere maybe it is time to do some modding to that one to. i will probably do the window thingy other than that i dont know what to do to whith it. what kind of linux can i use on an old comp like that it only has 500mb hdd and some 8 mb ram

14. txi

txi What's a Dremel?

oh..sorry everyone for not updating this thread for so long.. i have now picked out the design for the tribal thingie, and got my plexi too.. now i'm just being lazy :D

todo:
    paint the insides
    attach plexi
    install tribal thingie
    paint the "lines"

i thought, that in case i should get the money for my new rig(wanna do some tricks with alu ;)), maybe i'll mod the insides of this case a bit, so i could fit my current pc in there...(matx soc370 board, cel400, 256sdr, ****ty, iknow :()
    that's all for now... soon is my winter break, maybe i'll finish it then???
    we'll see....

adios, txi

[edit] would show the design to you, but a digital image of this got lost in an virus attack :(

15. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Neon string inbetween the "lines" ? :naughty:

16. dagamore

dagamore What's a Dremel?

first off, i dont like it for some reason, i dont know why just dont,

but ignoring the stupid comment above,

it looks like you put alot of work in to what you have posted so far, and th workmanship is looking great, i like how you are not doing a tower like every one else in the world.

i like the masive window on top, lots of room to work with for further moding :)

on the bottom the cirlces (i am guessing from feet) look to be perfect areas to cut out air holes for ventilation.

over all i can see where you are going with this, and i hope that your are happy with your work, your opinion is the onlyone that maters, ok ok, my wife <reading over my sholder<<oww dont hit me in the head>>> said that she likes the case, but shes wierd, i me can you trust some one that married me ??

17. txi

txi What's a Dremel?

so... progress :D

painted the insides, and put the system together...as much as i have it.. :/ so far mobo+cpu :( but, i think, imma gonna get the psu made for this case and some ram, floppy drive, lan card and a small hd to put linux on.. well see... now i have to attach the plexi..gotta work on it with a dremel first, cause it wont fit otherways. the case is constructed so, that every mm is precious :p, so there isnt much spare room for plexi...hard to explain in english for me.. but u'll see...someday :)

18. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

pics...... :)

19. txi

txi What's a Dremel?

i myself dont own a digicam, but maybe i'll have a chance to borrow one from a classmate... dont worry, i wont let this thing fall in historys trashbin without picturing it first :D