1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project : Panda (Antec 300)-paused for a while

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by k0rben, 24 Jul 2010.

1. k0rben

k0rben I use my dremel as a toothbrush

Guys, only very small update for today, i haven't had much time lately...

Something i did for my kaze master, to protect from overheating.
    [​IMG]
    You can see those transistors on the right dont have any cooling..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its old heatsink from some old graphics card, cutted to fit... fixed with thermal adhesive tape.

And this is to hide the 5,25" bay area cables

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sprayed black, here is the final.

[​IMG]

Another thing, i finally mounted the temp sensors.
    Aaand my idea for sidepanels was to switch them, (the solid one goes to the left and the one with the 120mil hole goes to the tray side) the hole on right panel will be covered, and the left panel will be dampened hard. I mean really HARD. :)

2. k0rben

Someone still watching this? :worried: :)

Overall progress so far,

[​IMG]

Sorry for bad quality and dark pics, its horrible weather out right now, so the light conditions are bad.

Front is now finished, only what is left is front usb and audio...
    I ghetto dimmed those front leds with a black permanent marker and a small piece of painter's tape.

[​IMG]

The sticker is probably temp, that tx650w was meant to be located a few milimeters left, but i made some measuring mistakes :eek:

[​IMG]

And also i don't like that white heatshrink, it was just a test, what do you guys think? Re-shrink the cable to black or shrink all front cables with white?
    (i prefer re-shrinking to black tbh)

and here is that covered sidepanel hole

[​IMG]

Again I apologize for slow progress and updating, but i have some important things to do etc.
    i hope you understand :thumb:

3. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Looking good, I agree with the black sleeving too.

I used gaffer tape (duct tape) to cover the side hole of my 300 cos after testing I found that adding a side fan made no difference to any temps other than the motherboard chipset temp (which wasn't a problem anyway).

Your motherboard really looks the business in the black case, you couldn't of planned that purchase better.

Keep it up, watching with interest! :thumb:

4. k0rben

Thanks, personally i don't like some gigabyte motherboards because of the 'lego' look (old 775s), and imho the best looking mobo is evga p55 Cheesecake.

And i forgot to tell, i have some issues with my hdd temps..they are too LOW :D yep, its like 20°C after windows boot (ambient is 19° and front fans are off) and 24-25 (ambient 23° and fans off)..with fans (or fan) its even colder. Im gonna use pieces of paper between the thermal pads and the metal sides of hdd to get it slightly hotter, what i think will work. Any ideas what to use if not paper?
    ps: i want it like 30+ after start with ambient 23-24 and if it get hotter than 40, fans will do.

5. chrispy61

chrispy61 What's a Dremel?

What mobo is that?

6. k0rben

What was that? I wrote
    Code:
    EVGA p55 F.T.W. (without dots)
    and now the forum turned it somehow into a p55 cheesecake? :confused: :eeek: try it lol :D
    My MB is asus p7p55d.

7. Remmes

Remmes Be One With Your Mod

Cheesecake, lol, i do like the black white

8. k0rben

Hey fellaz guess who is back ! :naughty:

I got this nice card with me
    [​IMG]
    (yeah i know the pic is kinda blurry)
    at first i wanted the one with the black pcb but that card was out of stock, so i got the blue one.

i'm currently busy with "testing" the card (that means playing a lot of l4d2,tf2 and dirt2 :D)
    it runs very cool and quiet, stays at max 65-70C with fan speed on 30% (while playing maxed out l4d2), but i haven't tried crysis though.

by the start of the next week, hopefully, i'm gonna get some dampening material (was out of stock too) and finally figure out that himuro stand.
    and btw, the cables of tx650 are still fighting back, this cable-job is gonna be tough :thumb:

9. Gtek

Gtek Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

Yeah, cables.... how did you decide btw? black or white?

10. k0rben

For psu? white cables and im gonna be using extensions. Sata will be black and front panel is already black. :) cables are nightmare, last week my dream contained a huge mess of cables but i don't remember anything more.

11. k0rben

Couple of new pics,
    deciding what should i do with heatsink plastic cover which came with gelid tranquillo.
    The stock covering is tinted plastic, but it gets pretty dirty in a while (dust, fingerprints etc.)

[​IMG]

here it is cleaned

[​IMG]

I made a cardboard model of that plastic piece, because i wanted to spray it white. But white is not matching the aluminium heatsink, so i will spray it black and somehow cover that "E" in the word gelid. Or one more option - don't use it. :confused:

Here is the current status of the cables.

[​IMG]

You can see (or not, sorry my crappy autofocusing) that i made 6pin, 8 pin, front panel and bunch of fans' and kazemaster's cables. Yeah and one whole molex 4pin 'branch' which was there, but slipped off, because i havent used the m3 scotch 4010 mounting tape, but some generic double sided yellow piece of something that looked like a tape. With m3, everything holds on perfectly.

And to do :waah: :

[​IMG]

Now just some random pics

This is my fan filter full of ghetoiness

[​IMG]

I use it at night, the top fan is spinning most of the time.

And i got new headphones :naughty:

[​IMG]

I appreciate any feedback, feel free to post :D

Last edited: 11 Nov 2010
  12. k0rben

Yesterday (actually it was about 0:30 at night) i worked on my sidepanel...

[​IMG]

I just used some spare foam that comes with graphics cards and mobos, but it's not all, i was thinking about using silentmaxx silma kf25, but it is out of stock for a very long time again. Maybe something ghetto will work too (heavy sleeping pad :eyebrow:).
    Then i did these two cuts, sidepanel was bumping into rear 120mil grill.

[​IMG]

13. Gtek

Gtek Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

I would use one big piece of foam... or if you can get more of the mobo foam from somewhere, cut them to small regular square pieces, so it looks more tidy and maybe interesting (not ghetto :D) . Just an idea... ehm... and what about cables? :D

14. chocolateeminem

chocolateeminem What's a Dremel?

Hi I have 5770 in my system aswell, (not modding one) and it can play crysis maced out at 1680x1250 and high at 1920x1080 it'll just get laggy when the whole world decides to blow up

15. k0rben

I have a couple of photos here, from himuro stands rework and also photos of the whole system. The stands rework - you remember when i shuffled them? i couldn't figure out which one is which... So instead of having 1 precise hole for each screw in each stand, I wanted it to be more flexibile. At first, i tried to drill 4 holes with 8mm and 10mm drillbit, but mine are blunt as hell. So i went to plan B -> grabbed my best tool - sheet metal scissors and did this :

[​IMG]

I will use washers, on each side, so the screw's head won't come through. And btw, they are drying right now after 2 coats of white and a clearcoat.

And here are some pics of the whole rig :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The quality is quite bad, winter is at the door and it's dark here by 4:30pm :sigh:. Better pics tomorrow and if the stands dry today, i'll mount them and post pics. And i forgot, what do you think about shineey heatsink cover :D ? the black paint is not that shiny in person, also the mobo is not brown.

16. k0rben

Here are some pics showing mounting and painted i/o tips.

coming along the corner...
    [​IMG]

and the result :
    [​IMG]

as you can probably see, the stands are not well positioned yet, because i haven't got the molex to sata cable extension (im using the old one, which is obviously too short).

Here are the painted usb and 3,5" holes, i used matt white revell color for model kits.
    Picture taken with flash, so you can better see the white and black contrast.

[​IMG]

Just a little detail, but i like it. The weird tape and pieces of paper are there to separate the glow of the hdd and power led. :D Also i'm trying to use that grey foam everywhere i can, (where its not visible), to cover dust entrances and noise exits.

And ehh, guys i need FEEDBACK :waah: any comments, recommendations, criticism, cats, lolz, or whatever are welcome.

Last edited: 21 Nov 2010
  17. Technobod

Technobod Minimodder

Hiya, just got linked here from your sig on another thread and I have to say, I really like this.
    I'm considering getting myself a new rig SandyBridge probably and putting it in a 300, but I don't like the stock one so I may end up doing something very similar to what your doing.
    My only criticism is a single HDD, but granted I do have a thing for having more than one HDD- loving the look of that cooler though.
    Keep up the good work :thumb:.

*Subb'd*

18. k0rben

Wow thanks man. yeah single hdd - at first i was thinking about getting 1tb, but 500gb is quite enough for me :p and when those SSDs will drop on price and gain on capacity i'm sure of getting one.
    again thanks for subbing altough project is currently paused, i believe i'll start again some time between christmas and new year's eve.:thumb:

//and i forgot - good luck with your upcoming build

19. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Awesome, the colours are great. But will you be able to see the blue on the mobo? And how did you make the fan stickers, I've always wanted to.

20. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Pandas are cool.