1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Panzerbox Mod: Tribute to Wolfenstein

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by CustomPCMAX, 2 Apr 2009.

1. alecamused

alecamused Minimodder

bullethole-icing for cheesecake-case. awesome :thumb:

2. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Glad you liked them!

I heard back from James at PsykoAudio, he suggested turning off the cmss settings in the X-fi software, and turn on EAX. I will check into these setting later today.

3. mnpctech

I am resuscitating this log with a new update. The project was put on the back burner while Nate and I were occupied with other obligations. I've ditched painting the 15" LCD until I can afford something bigger. I'm also swapping out the Razer Lycosa KB to the Logitech G15 KB. I dismantled it yesterday so it can be painted with WWII German Camo, similar to the Panzerbox bezel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    You must remove all of the Black screws on the back of the G15 KB.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Gently push open the the Black tab, to pull out the ribbon wire connection.

[​IMG]
    Once inside the KB, 19 Silver screws that must be removed.

[​IMG]
    After the 19 screws are removed, you must gently pry open the Grey plastic tabs that hold on the Grey trim piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The KB trim piece will be painted WWII German Camo.

[​IMG]
    The Logitech badge pops off with ease. It would be cool to mill a new badge from aluminum, maybe the German cross?

[​IMG]
    The G15 lens should remove easier by applying pressure from the inside out with a finger.

[​IMG]
    I used a model knife to peel off the right side indicator lens

[​IMG]
    4x Silver screens fasten on the LCD bezel to the KB.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    G15 LCD bezel buttons removed. The frame of the window will be painted.

4. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

It lives!!! :clap:
    Great to see this back on track.
    Did you ever get to play Wolfenstein on it?

5. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Sure the KB will come out sweet. can't wait to check it out

6. mnpctech

Yes BC, and it plays very nice :thumb:

It was really nice of Razer to sponsor the build, but after a few months of usage, I'm not a fan of their light weight plastic construction. I fear they would shatter if they ever dropped off my work shop counter. So I'm swapping out both the Razer Lycosa KB to the Logitech G15 KB. The Razer Mamba Mouse to the G7.

Boddaker likes this.
  7. mnpctech

Updating the rear 120mm exhaust fan with the new Overkill "Sniper" grill, I have Silver version, but you can get Black anodized

Overkill Grills from Performance-PCs

[​IMG]

The NZXT Panzerbox wide chassis is ideal canidate for the Overkill grill. Most cases may require major modification to your chassis and side panel to clear 5.5" wide grill if mounted over the rear exhaust.

[​IMG]

I use SEM brand Self Etching primer to paint the bare aluminum grill Matte Black. This paint is made for bare metal surfaces. You need to wear a filtered respirator mask and apply in well ventilated room. It's very TOXIC when it's airborne.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The billet Targeted grill looks cool, but a bit flat looking in comparison :D

[​IMG]

POW! what a difference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 15 Jan 2010
  8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Okay, this might be a bit dangerous, but I'll do it anyway:

I don't really like that.

Don't hurt me! :eeek:

To me it looks like it was just slapped on, sorry. One of the extremely few things I don't like about your builds, Bill.

9. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I have to agree with perplekks45.

The grill itse;f is a masterpiece of aluminum pr0n, but it just looks out of place there.

10. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

I see how it looks better, but having it match up with the lines on the case would make it look even better. I semi agree with above.

11. sentek

sentek What's a Dremel?

from the pics there something doesnt look quite right about it, in my opinion..
    dont get my wrong, it still looks nice.

perhaps a pic from further back would show it in a different light, kinda give an overall view of the grill with the rest of the case if you know what i mean.

12. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

^what he said. i have mixed feelings about this grill. It looks kind of odd.
    It looks like something the army would use i agree, but it kind of looks a bit off too...

But then again, we should never doubt bill because 'epicness' is his third name (because 'overkill' is the second....ill get my coat :worried:)

13. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

The inner chamfers on the crosshair are too big and make it look like a plastic toy. Especially when painted in black. I don't mind the overall shape of it.

Another aspect that makes it pop out too much is that the grill hangs over the motherboard connector plate. Shift the fan 10mm to the right and it should fit better.

14. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

QFT, it's too important a piece and statement to relegate to the back of the case; it just looks a bit out of place. Still - I assume this case advertises MNPCtech's products, so getting it on the case is probably a priority.

15. mnpctech

It is a bit of an "Overkill" isn't it... sorry, I just had too.

I completely see your point tho, Thank you :thumb:

16. Darkraven

Darkraven What's a Dremel?

Sharp eyed bunch around here, wouldn't be Bit-tech without them tho. Hope it stays that way.
    I like the depth of the new one, cuts down just a bit on the contrast of the back of the fan shape to the crosshair pattern.
    I know it's a lot of work for little gain maybe, but if the ears were cut smaller, like 5/16" off each side then maybe it would not be an overstatement as mentioned and then would not overhang the plate it's mounted on, just saying.
    Maybe a few minutes with some fine steelwool to flatten the black a hair more would get rid of the plastic look that was also mentioned.

17. mnpctech

Agree, the legs or "ears" could be refined and I'm guilty for using my own off the shelf bolt-on part :worried: :D

18. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I like it! bit pricey shipping to uk though would look perfect either side of my mod :O very industrial :rock:

19. mnpctech

Are you looking at our Cart shipping rates? Those are UPS for US only, drop me a PM :thumb:

20. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I emailed you a while back about a few bits but came something around $25 shipping but the items where pricey (because of the quality offcourse) i think it was your case feet and i could'nt really justify paying £20+ for case feet (with shipping) so im going to wait till i can buy a few things that i really really think would work so it seems more worth my while

really diggin the grills though :rock: