1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Perspiration - all done! (March 29th)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by pistol_pete, 1 Mar 2009.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

+1

2. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

Oh I agree. I'm looking at the case now and it bugs me a bit.

The thing is, I wanted to make the window is as large as it can be, and now there's not really anywhere to move the LEDs. When I order the pespex, I plan to have the window cut maybe 1cm smaller around each edge to hide this.

I think there's still a lot of playing-about to be done, will investigate.

3. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

If they wont fit on the side panel, mount them to the actual case., the lighting will be more subtle because the lights will be further away from the viewing area.

4. pistol_pete

I've moved the lights off the panel and onto the chassis. This helps things, the upper string is just hidden by the upper frame of the PC-7. It'll be a tight fit when I fit the radiator though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lower set now runs the full length of the case (and then some), they're obscured to about 45 degrees from above. I can live with that for now.

5. MIGUI

MIGUI New Member

Good job. :thumb:

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Looks much better, but still with the same effect, nice Pete :thumb:

7. The boy 4rm oz

The lighting looks much better now.

8. pistol_pete

Having exhausted all the little things to do, I need to swing some balls and buy the much promised perspex.

First step is to measure up, this needs to be perfect. Got most of it done over the weekend, and I've put all the dimensions into another 3d model - the original model I've been using is really just for layout and aesthetics, I never fussed about the dimensions.

Now where's I put that case?

[​IMG]

It's functionality has been somewhat abused lately as a clothes drier.

So what's the plan Batman?
    Well I've always been rather impressed by Phinix Cube - in particular, the threaded inserts holding the structure together. I've made a perspex box, using metal brackets in the corners to hold it and it was simply shite.

[​IMG]

Since the perspex panels will extend beyond the front of the chassis (to cover the fans) I need a way of mounting them. This will hold the front and side panels, in particular. Cubes with threaded inserts should work nicely....

... so I bought 1m of 20x20mm square rod off ebay, £15. I also got them to cut it into 8x50mm long sections, as if I cut it they'd all be different lengths. And squint.

[​IMG]

I also got a 210mm piece, as I'm not sure if I'll be able to mount in the very top corners: will experiment.

Using the remainder of the 1m, I had a shot last night with my inserts. First marking where I need to drill with the dremmel, to stop the drill bit wandering.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And melting in - the inserts are about 5.5mm wide, the nearest I have is a 5mm drill bit, which gives a very solid fit when they melt in, I haven't been able to break one out yet!

Shortly after taking that photo I burned my finger on the soldering iron which was mooooooooo-funking sore. For the rest of the evening I had my right hand dipped into a mug of iced water, though I did manage to take a photo with my left:

[​IMG]

It's not perfect, it's slightly to off-centre from where it should be - whether that went wrong in the measuring, the drilling or the melting I'm not sure. It's been prompting me to think how I'm going to get the panels, inserts, and fixing to the chassis accurate.

Anyway, finger was better today, other than a nice blister, so I had another couple of goes:

[​IMG]

The first time round I hadn't drilled the hole deep enough, so had to push the insert in, leaving not enough depth for the screw. This time I went deeper (I think the two holes touch in the middle), and it fits rather well now.

[​IMG]

It's really strong, I screwed it in as hard as I could and it didn't crack or twist. Thanks for the idea Phinix! I can move on and do the 18 fixing points I need now.

I'm also pretty much settled on the design for the panels - I opened up the cut in the white top panel by 3mm, to show off more of the red.

[​IMG]

I'll put up the final design soon before I send it off to be cut!

Last edited: 4 Aug 2009
  9. MIGUI

MIGUI New Member

Nice work.:thumb:
    Excellent.

10. pistol_pete

Thanks!

I'm just looking at it now though, not sure if 50mm was the right choice. The fans are 25mm, plus there's 5mm for the dust filters, that leaves a 20mm gap to the front panel, which I think will be a bit unsightly.

I could cut them down to 40mm, but that would be a fair bit of effort and the best I have is a hacksaw.

Strictly I could order the front panel on it's own, then decide how it looks. I'll definately need to decide before ordering the top and sides, as their length will be affected.

Hmmmmmmmm....

11. The boy 4rm oz

I have been trying to find those inserts around here but have had no luck, I would love to put some in my bits box.

12. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

You could also make them from brass rod. It just takes more effort.

13. dark4181

dark4181 Ero-sennin-tebayo

How did I never look at this mod before? It's awesome

Breathtaking work, especially considering the very basic tools you're using.

14. pistol_pete

Yo dudes.

I'm really thrilled by the Mod of the Month nomination - I didn't think there's much to see here, the best is yet to come!

To say thanks, I've fitted the hardware in and taken a few photos. I just wish I had a better camera. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

The TRUE120 blocks a lot of light. I think I'll shell out on water cooling for my birthday in September, just over a month!

[​IMG]

Once the acrylic panels are fitted, this will move to the top.

[​IMG]

The case panels still have dimensions drawn on!

[​IMG]

Without lights.

[​IMG]

It works! Still loads of cable tidying to be done.

Cheers for now! :lol:

Last edited: 28 Oct 2009
  15. The boy 4rm oz

It is coming together very well, water cooling will definitely suit the case perfectly.

16. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

yeah water cooling will make this off the hook

17. Boldar

Boldar Member

This is great and has given me some ideas for my next project.

18. pistol_pete

Appologies if you're looking at exceeded bandwidth. Stupid photobucket. I'll use bit-tech's folders from now on.

I've been drawing up the plans for having the perspex getting cut. These haven't really changed much since I first came up with the concept last summer, but I'm trying a few more interesting things.

Very keen on the Golf GTI theming: not sure about the badge though, tempted to get one off Ebay for £8, but don't want to get too dedicated in the theme.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The idea for the bottom intake came from the Golf W12 concept car - JIMP!

[​IMG]

Slight revision here. Hopefully I can get the plans sent off this week, been mental busy recently but having monday off will help.

Meanwhile...

I've been running in the case, naked as such, and she's doing rather well. Don't have the temperature issues I had at first, since the big side window allows any extra air in.

[​IMG]

I had an idea to enclose the lights - I got a strip of aluminium U channel from B+Q, which has been very effective at stopping the glare from the LEDs escaping in the wrong direction.

[​IMG]

Top tip there.

19. The boy 4rm oz

I like the Gold GTI colour theming but am not keen on the badge, just my 2cents.

20. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

Yeah the styling looks good but the badge makes it look like a tribute pc and detracts from the computer itself.