1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project:PipBoy 8000 PICS FIXED! 56K warn|big (?) update 06/28|*vfd help needed!!!!!*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by EdHunTer, 10 May 2004.

?

What fangrill to use for the front fan?

1. origi fan grill as seen on the first pics

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. a piece of the mesh in front on the vacuum tubes

18 vote(s)
    72.0%
  1. EdHunTer

EdHunTer New Member

Hi all!

This is going to be a long post since i already have many posts on metku's forums but i decided to run it simultaneously here and there aswell (more ppl looking more comments and idea)

I was just sittin at my desk with my freshly made glowpad (twas my first mod: http://metku.net/modgallery/detail.php?id=1840 ) thinkin what to mod next. I've seen enough premods and windowed and lit cases so i thught of it as "not a real challenge". I was browsing the web when i came across zapwizard's army case mod and i said WoW my jaq dropped and i immediately realized my next mod.

When I was 10 i used to collect old radios and stuff and i remembered i had an old russian World War 2 army radio (twas not working unfortunately som tubes were goners or something) so i popped into my car and went looking for it in the garage. After 4 hours of digging thru stuff and moving my Pinball machine around i found it. A little dusty and stupidly painted (i once tried to give it that camo look cos it was simply military green) but it was just perfect for the challenge. At first i wanted a imple military case hence project camo but then when i went out looking for fan grills some vent grills from the game Fallout popped into my mind (which was and still is my favourite RPG) so i decided to make a Fallout themed case out of it.

[​IMG]
    A pic of Fallout's dialogue screen so you get the idea for the theme(for those who don't know what the game is or how it looks like)

So i set off with the case (unfortunately i lost the before pics)
    First thing was to remove the guts which was one bitch to do. THe russians made it so that i had to remove bout 60 screws before i could take the guts out. Next thing was drilling the rivets out which held a divider metal plate in the middle of the case. With that done i had the empty case. next up was finding a mobo that would fit. At first i wanted to put my pIV system in it with MSI Neo2-pfisr mobo but that would only barely fit anyway few days later i had enough cash to buy an amd system vith a gygabyte k7 triton mobo which was smaller and fit perfect. The mobo is attached with those metal "screwcups" or whatever.

Now when i tried to fit in stuff i realized i couldn't get the PSU to fit. I decided to get a micro atx psu but my friends at the PC store told me the only ones they could order usually died within the first month so i gave up on that instead i decided to make a separate case for the psu.
    That was simple (bought the enclosure from my local electronics shop):

[​IMG]
    The back panel on my workbench about to cut

[​IMG]
    Cutting..

[​IMG]
    And cut! :)

[​IMG]
    Fitting the psu marking screwholes and wire outlet

[​IMG]
    Fit check

[​IMG]
    VOILA!

[​IMG]
    First the 20pin atx connector was just pulled thru a hole in the case that was the place of the antenna originally

[​IMG]
    The lenghtened connectors

[​IMG]
    Improvising, case ground riveted to the PSU case ground :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    First working setup

A little explanation:
    You see the little black button at the button that is the on off switch the switch next to the voltmeter selects what the voltmeter is actuated by upper position network activity and the lower position is hdd activity
    Edit: The switch since has been replaced and the positions changed (low is net and up is hdd activity)

[​IMG]
    Night shot Not much light here yet only the Voltmeter's light

[​IMG]
    All closed up

[​IMG]
    carving the hole for the backpanel fan

[​IMG]
    Fan clamped to drill the holes

[​IMG]
    Finished

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    shots of the back panel with the window opened (don't forget this is still the first working setup so the protective film is still on the plexi)

[​IMG]
    A shot of the back of the front panel
    (as you can see the black front plate has another metal plate behind it thus giving very little space to do wiring of components on the black plate)

[​IMG]
    doing the fan controls

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    First shots of the fan control integrated

[​IMG]
    A shot of the innerds

[​IMG]
    Fan control in the dark (IT ACTUALLY WORKS! YESSSSS!:))
    the blue dots are the light of the cathode coming thru some rivet holes

[​IMG]
    Night shot with front door closed

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    back with blue cathode in day and night
    the cathode will be changed wednesday when i get my 2 10 cm green ones
    if you're asking what for since you can't see anything cos there are no windows then wait you'll se around the end :)

[​IMG]
    this is the sticker i came up with to stick on the front door in the middle of the circle

Now that i have acquired 3 more 60cm fans and some kewl vent grills this is what i came up:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Side with fan holes cut out and screwholes drilled for fan and the vent grills

[​IMG]
    One grill installed

[​IMG]
    other is up too

[​IMG]
    the top of the case viewed from the back

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The front plate as it is now the vent grill doesn't have a fan behind it only a few holes that i wanted to cover up and also the speaker behind those

Now i didn't want the psu and the case clinging together constantly because that would've made carrying a hellova lot hard so i decided to buy some atx connectors and crimp pins along with 2 pairs of xlr connectors and some wires

[​IMG]
    a shot of the front without the front plate and without any innards only fans are there and back plate

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    shots of the back panel without innards
    Here you can see the 20 pin atx connector and the xlr connector the atx is obviously for the mobo connector and the xlr is for the 12 and 5 volts with ground for the drives.

Now this is where I am now one thing that needs to be fixed instantly is that i miscalculated the space when buying the vents so the hdd won't fit on the front plate and also if you look at the pic from the back of the front plate you'll see that the part of the drive bay that is holding the DVD burner in place is too wide i need to cut some away from that in order to fit it.

I've already found the place for the hdd it will be screwed to the bottom of the case (it fits like it was designed to be there :)) with a thin piece of rubber under it to halt resonation.

As for you asking about the lighting the 2 cold cathodes will be placed so that their lights willl shine thru the vent grills and project to the table it is on, also they will diffuse thru the vent hole on the front.

What i have already done is place 3 UB green leds on the back of the fan so if the blue ccfl isn't inside you can already see the green glow (but it's not bright enoughfor the camera dagnabit)

Happy moddin t'all! :dremel:

Last edited: 28 Jun 2004
  2. EdHunTer

EdHunTer New Member

Sorry but the first post was so long this didn't fit in cos of char limit :D

To Do list:
    - make final backplate for the case from metal (not sure if i'll do this)
    - put in 2 10 cm long green ccfls
    - cut an opening in the side plate which will have a black or rust-brown metal grill in it and 2 vacuum-electron tubes behind it with the heating on (gonna look kewl) this is to add some further fallout-ish effects :)
    - make the (now black) upper plate of the front panel from metal (again not sure if i'll do this)
    - add a green graphic VFD to the above mentioned plate and make a "shader" for it (something that you can see on the traffic lamps or if you look at the pic from fallout above you see above the testx something similar)
    - paint the case military green and the front plate to the same color as now OR make the whole thing rust but i wan't to do it really brown rust not bright like in the black mesa mod
    - also paint a pipboy 8000 sign somewhere
    - add green lighting to the PSU case (already have 20 UB green leds for it)
    - add a lcd to the PSU case with green backlight showing voltages

i'll prolly add to this list much much more but right now this is all that comes to my mind

The specs of the PC:
    AMD 2500+ Barton
    Gygabyte K7 Triton GA-7VT600-L
    256 megs of noname ram
    Matrox Millenium G45 Dual Head (gonna replace this when i'll have the mulah to buy a new vidcard)
    old 6 gig fujitsu hdd (only till the testing is over)
    TDK DVD+/-RW burner

Still: Happy Moddin t'all! :dremel:

3. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk New Member

Fallout kicketh mucho ass.

4. Hephaistus

Hephaistus New Member

Looks promissing, keep on going. :thumb:

I see that some cuts that went to far in the plexi of the backpanel, How are you going to fix it. Just curious

5. EdHunTer

EdHunTer New Member

heh that's easy :) those are there because the disc of the dremel couldn't cut such short distances as needed (cutting disk is doo large) that's why those are there so i'll just cut out the whole thing and insert the metal connector faceplate that came with the mobo :D or maybe i'll just paint the whole thing black or something cos the scratches are only on one side

6. Chrizzle

Chrizzle New Member

I like the look of the battered case, any chance of keeping that theme? Also, the Russian lettering is awesome.. keep it!
    Rock on :rock:

7. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Fallout is one of my favorite games ( I always enjoyed killing everyone in the order...especially the guy freatured in your screen) I willl certainly look forward to seeing how this mods turns out.

If your interested I came across these a while back
    Fallout theme
    Fallout theme

8. EdHunTer

EdHunTer New Member

hey thanks mate i couldn't find the fallout reference on the first link (possible i just wasn't lookin har enuf :)) but the second one i'm surprised i never came across it (i'm on metku a lot :)
    that should give some ideas thanks :)

9. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

both links are of the same case, just one is directly from the creators website here is a direct link

10. EdHunTer

EdHunTer New Member

found it thanks i want something similar of a paintjob but much much more deep brown rust just like the origi pipboy in fallout :) i'm just learning sketch up to do a render of what it will supposedly look like :thumb:

11. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 New Member

this looks like it should turn out pretty nice,

think im gunna watch this

12. EdHunTer

EdHunTer New Member

okay if anyone can help me with sketch-up i'd appreciate it. when i try to apply a jpeg as a material it split's up the original picture into two halfs and flips them! weird any ideas?

Also a lil update: it seems the green cathodes are coming wednesday so i can probably install them then but first i have to fit in the hdd if it won't fit where i planned it then there's gonna be a little metal shaping involved to make some brackets for it

13. EdHunTer

EdHunTer New Member

Oky here i go last update before i go 2 sleep

just rendered 3 images of what the front might look like still missing many details just a basic plot on the front plate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

that's it nighty night! :D

Last edited: 29 May 2004
  14. Chrizzle

Chrizzle New Member

Yay!

I'm ecstatic that you kept the Russian on the front. Awesome. It looks like it's coming together great. Can't wait to see more.

15. SoulkeepHL

SoulkeepHL New Member

Looks good! And for what its worth, I've got a lot of matx systems kicking about, and have never (knocks on wood) had a problem with any one of the half dozen matx psu's that i've abused (1.4ghz tbird on a 150w psu, psus on stepped (or square) sine wave inverters, etc etc etc). They're no different than normal atx psu's. Buy a cheap (crappy) psu and its likely to go b0rk, in either form factor.

16. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

Love fallout, I'm gonna follow this one, looks Übeer :rock: :rock:

17. EdHunTer

EdHunTer New Member

I am going to keep the battered look but i'll also make it rusted thos i havent really decided how i think i'll be rusting all of the rivet holes (as it would rust there first) and the grill on the front plate definitely (as you see the renders) or maybe i'll do a rust finish on all of the case but then it will be heavy brown rust not so bright as the one in the black mesa mod. I'll put up some more renders this afternoon if i get around to making them

18. EdHunTer

EdHunTer New Member

Well one thing's for sure you can't say that i'm not giving you enough images :D

here's a couple of more renders:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    here you can see where i wan't to place 2 vaccum-electron tubes
    If anyone knows about what voltage do the heating lines need in these tubes please contact me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

but there's bad news also i can't get the vfd i wanted either it's the resupplier or Futaba VFDs are much more expensive than Noritakes VFDs. Nyway it seems i'll be getting a Noritake if i can order one if not then i'm f*cked.

Last edited: 29 May 2004
  19. vonkaar

vonkaar New Member

The 'vacuum-electron' tubes... are you intending on using nixies? Nixies typically fire on 340v, although they vary from tube to tube. You can find many circuit designs for a two-tube nixie clock, or you could wire it up for a simple display... 3... 4... 5... 6... etc. If you don't feel like providing your own source for such high voltages, you could get by firing them with a CCFL inverter, although you'll get a cloudy glow instead of precise digits.

Example:

precise voltage will get you this:
    [​IMG]

whereas, a CCFL inverter will get you this:
    [​IMG]

It simply depends on what 'look' you want. Although, if you aren't even talking about nixies... ignore me =p

20. EdHunTer

EdHunTer New Member

Vonkaar: no i don't want those kind of tube i want the traditional tubes used in old radios and tube instrument amps (like my 1976 Sunn bass amp head with the EL34s and ecc38s :)) look in the first pic of this thread of the Fallout dialogue screen tho the ones you shown also look kewl but i don't want any more wires and gizmos in the case than there already is (the 24+ wires going to the back are more than enough :DD)

Erre are those "nixies" capable of displaying multiple characters ? so are they like a one segment aplha-numeric display ? (haven't really seen these kinds of tubes before)

Last edited: 11 May 2004