1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project:PipBoy 8000 PICS FIXED! 56K warn|big (?) update 06/28|*vfd help needed!!!!!*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by EdHunTer, 10 May 2004.

?

What fangrill to use for the front fan?

1. origi fan grill as seen on the first pics

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. a piece of the mesh in front on the vacuum tubes

18 vote(s)
    72.0%
  1. EdHunTer

EdHunTer What's a Dremel?

only the ones you see in this thread

if you look at properties and copy and paste the url you'll be able to view the images :sigh: (as soon as the webserver i used earlier gets online and workin correctly again i'll get back to it)

2. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

OK, sorry, missed that part of the first post. Got a question for ya then. The analogue needle measures HD activity or Network activity. How did you get this wired up? does it simply jump around as the disk thrashes? or is it a more constant "percentage" type thing, slowly up-ing and down-ing in relation to how much the disk is used?

3. EdHunTer

well i just wired them directly to the LED connectors so the needle jumjps around really fast which gives it that "trashed to hell" aka Out Of Order feeling :) i did consider making it move slower but there's really no point in doing that since then it wouldn't show the actual disk use. btw it is not wired up so that the needle always jumps to the max i put in a resistor before the meter which enabled it to use the full scale for disk usage (when low the hdd led is dimmer thus here the needle is in a lower position.

Hope that answers your question :)

4. EdHunTer

well i have my "last before the last" entrance exam tomorrow so i should be able to get to some moddin again tomorrow afternoon or the day after that. meanwhile questions comments still welcome.

5. EdHunTer

YEAY! i have one month till my last exam which is computer stuff so no need to study. I'm drawing some pcbs today for the rows of green ub leds that will be lighting the PSU's case unfortunately it turned out that i can't get 10cm green ccfls here so if anyone could help me acquiring them pls contact me same case with the vfd. Thanks a bunch.

6. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.

Cant see any pictures.......

7. EdHunTer

HURRAY!
    Noritake finally contacted me via it's Hungarian vendor they were asking which model i neede exactly how many of it and stuff like that the vfd should come thru until the end of next month (at worst). The final front plate is in the making (the part that is currently black on the front). I am just now testing which vacuum tubes fit in the front and i'm looking around for paint and some sort of metal grill (something like the one on car speakers) that i can put in front of the vacuum tubes (so they can't be touched).

TO VIEW THE PIX RIGHT CLICK SELECT PROPERTIES AND FOLLOW THE LINK! (sorry bout that but the webserver i used to use is still down and this thing has exceeded the limits rather fast :( )

8. EdHunTer

okay update time

i was having some trouble with the fanbus after i rebuilt it with the 3 extra fans managed to isolate the prob (a few wires shorted when i tightened the screws holding the faceplate) so i put some electric tape under it so now that's okay. Te pc is currently in burn in with the new 2.5" hdd so far it works flawless windoze installed okay and everything seems to be in order so far. Noritake contacted me the VFD will arrive approx the end of next month (if i wanted it could be here in a week but that would cost way too much). System temps are more or less okay with vents at low (five volts) the system temp is 29 degrees tho the CPU is at 50-51° in idle. I really don't have any idea what to do about that.

The webserver that i used earlier is finally back online so the pics will be updated to work from there (shouldn't be any more bandwith exceeded crap instead of them).

Also i replaced the psu with a brand new 400 watt one. Took some time to do the soldering job.

I'll post some pics tonite.

Ideas for the paintjob are still welcome and if anyone with a bit of artistic talent would be so kind as to help me out with making a sign for me please contact me via email.

9. EdHunTer

Fixed all the pix i'll put up new ones tomorrow if all goes well i got a new camera and just testing it. (Nikon Coolpix 5700) Replies comments welcome...

10. Garbach

Garbach What's a Dremel?

John, tell me you are kidding me!! I am working on a fallout themed case myself (so far fo originality I guess) and I just drilled holes in like 10 old radio tubes to be able to put leds in the bottem of them!!! I never knew i could make them glow by hooking them up to a 6 volt line!!!! Please tell me how to wire them up so I can make my "fusion cell" glow even more spectacular....
    Dam... wasted 10 or more tubes by drilling them while I could have been making them glow by themsleves... :waah: :waah: :duh:

Garbach

11. EdHunTer

If you don't have the pinout for it just take a 6 volt powersupply (any old adapter will do) and find the first pin (usually marked somehow) and the heating is usually 2 pins right of it if i remember correctly but be careful if it glows really bright then lower the vopltage or the heating gets fried real quick. btw do you have a project log somewhere? i'm curious bout your project :)

12. Garbach

Garbach What's a Dremel?

He Edhunter!
    Thanx for the tip! The radio tubes I am using are these:
    http://w1.871.telia.com/~u87149905/hexodup/pch200.htm
    and
    http://www.hupse.nl/radio/tubes/PCH200.htm

If I read correctly these should be hooked up to 9 volt? And would pin number 9 then be the pin that causes the glow?
    Does my PSU have enough power to make it glow? (yeah I know, am an electronic dumbnut)
    I don't have a thread yet. I now have almost al the stuff I need to get started so I hope to create one pretty soon (need to borrow a digicam also). Glad you got the pix fixed, now it's a lot easier to see how it's getting along!
    Looks nice. It's a cramped little radio you used!! But it defenitely has that fallout atmosphere to it! Keep it up!

Garbach

13. dudeyourmomiscute!

dudeyourmomiscute! What's a Dremel?

heres a suggestion, for the rear plexi cover, tint the inside and flame polish the outside. the cathode will still show but your cables will be less visible

14. Goblin Tinkerer

Goblin Tinkerer What's a Dremel?

Looks good so far.

15. EdHunTer

Well i don't know any german but i suspect H stands for the heating so should you connect pin one with any other pins marked H you should get heating lit. About the psu i suppose you're going to power it from the 12 volt line so check the MAX current (amperage) that the psu can give off on the 12 volt line if it's about 15-16 A then it should be okay if you don't have too many hardware on it (by a lot i mean like 6 hdds or something :)).

16. EdHunTer

Update time:

Finally i got a green ccfl today (tho 30 cm long not 10 like i wanted so i don't really know how i'll fit it in yet)

I also ordered the noritake vfd. It will arrive at the end of the month. I would appreciate it if someone would help me with it's installation. mostly the software part. But that is for the future.

The whole thing i going to get it's main paint of coat either tomorrow or next monday. Also i have ordered the metal front and backplates they should be in around next week.

I'll make some pics of possible lighting solutions tonite pics will be up supposedly tonite too :)

/me eagerly awaiting replies :hip:

17. EdHunTer

sorry but pix only in da morn the camera's cable was left in the offic so i can't ul them :(

18. Garbach

Garbach What's a Dremel?

We want more... gimme gimme gimme.. :D

19. EdHunTer

i'm going away for the weekend and i got some stuff to do today so pics prolly at night (hopefully)

20. EdHunTer

i recieved te software for the vfd today (can't wait for the vfd itself to arrive :)) so i'm gonna have some fun reading thru the how-tos and stuff...

just wanted to share that little piece of info :)

Last edited: 4 Jun 2004