1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Plain Lazy (deceased)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Phat Ass, 5 Jun 2003.

1. Phat Ass

Phat Ass What's a Dremel?

While i wait for this video to compile i'll do some writing for this. A list of all the things which need to be done.

Make PSU Bracket
    Fit Bracket to case
    Locate new HD cage
    Work out Wiring/Plumbing diagram
    Build HD Cage
    Fit HD Case
    Cut Fridge block bracket (6mm alu)
    attach to drive cage
    Test Fit WC stuff
    Test fit Whole unit
    Check for other things to do before cases are joined
    Join cases
    See what i have forgotten to do
    Make another list

That should keep me busy for a while :|

2. Phat Ass

right, actually got round to some work on the case today. drilled the last 80mm hole for the PSU on the bracket, and test fitted the PSU's again, bent the bracket round and found one hold is about 8mm off centre (GOD DAMNIT) but i ahvent time to remake it, so that'll come later.

Anyway, pretty much got the bracket made so that it will work, not just need to clear the bits of the case that get in the way of it and drill the holes for the mounting screws... tomorrow nights work.

Also have some pics up then, looking for uni flats also, so that eats up a good amount of time. so might not get the holes drilled :(

3. Phat Ass

As promised, pics of the work done, sadly not all of It though, there has been a little development, but I was knackered and couldn’t be bothered to take pics or do the bit of cutting tonight, tomorrow is earmarked for that hopefully.

On with the work!
    [​IMG]
    sorry there are no in between pics, but it bassiaclly went from a sheet of metal to this over a few very slow weeks. The holesaw was great, made my life much easier. Still managed to screw the first on up even before I used it, but nm. Even with all my careful marking I managed to get the hole about 8mm out of place for one of the intake fans :(
    [​IMG]

This is just going to have to stay, I need this server made for when I go to uni (it’s also my alarm clock) so its need doing fast, but with as much care and attension to detail and quality as possible. Some parts may have to be left off for now until I can see how its going overall.

[​IMG]
    The bracket on the case, nowt much more to say

[​IMG]
    The bracket fitted into the case, a joyous moment I can assure you.

Since then the piece of metal sticking out beyond the PSUs has been bent down to form a support, now need to work out how to attach it to the case at the top, back and front, pics of the bends and possibly the holes for mounting tomorrow (hopefully)

4. maeterlinck

maeterlinck What's a Dremel?

hey it's good to see some more progress here!

PSU bracket looks good - nice to see you've take changes in PSUs in to account and not just created holes to the Antecs you currently have.
    What are you going to do about wiring them to the mains? two kettle leads or hardwired to a kettle socket on the back of the case (my vote :D)

One of the legs on the PSU case looks very weak in the picture...

5. olv

olv he's so bright

nice bracket, looking good, keep up the work, i'm sure there are more mainly silent people like me who r following your progrees.

keep it up :rock:

6. Phat Ass

the case is sound atm, the poprivited plates in each side at the front hold it very stirdily. but yes it does look weak as a badger in jam. (it's their version of kryponite you know :) )

7. EnderG60

EnderG60 What's a Dremel?

very nice work....but i hope your not doing all that with a hacksaw blade on a block of wood:eeek:

also why not cut a small hole in the common sides of the 2 psu's and wire the 2 power connectors toghether so they can be run off the same cable??

8. Phat Ass

i have one of the Power relay units which you plug a 12V line into from the master PSU and the ATX connector from the slaveand it power both units on at once.

all of the straight cuts have been done with a hacksaw clamped down on the bench.

Last edited: 29 Aug 2003
  9. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Great project PhatAss. All that POWER! :eeek:

Btw your workshop is awesome. :thumb:

10. Phat Ass

wow, praise from the highest level, thanks G-gnome

the workshops my dads creation, used to be a garage but it was no use as one so it was gradually converted, will post a picture of it at some point.

Working out some minor problems atm, will have the whole bracket done tomorrow (or rather today)

11. Phat Ass

Took a few pictures of the garage while i was working.

[​IMG]
    There's a 6" jointer just out of shot on the left (next to todays work piece :) )

[​IMG]
    Ignore the old Freezer door, doesnt fit in the bin so its just geting in the way.

[​IMG]
    Half of the hand power tools, theres a 1800W dewalt router, a biscuit jointer, random orbit sander and other things in bigger boxes kicking about the place too.

Update on todays work once it written :)

12. Phat Ass

The bracket had to be chopped down a bit at the back to lower the back of the PSUs so they fit in, its still abit high, but it will suffice for now so that i can sort out other parts of the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The bracket installed in the case. The extra little lip on the PSUs sits above the case atm, but hopefully this can be made to fit underneath with a bit of trimming on this bracket itself.

Once the bracket was in the new arrangement of drives had to be decided upon. this is the favoured arrangement atm but this could change.

[​IMG]

13. Phat Ass

Righty then, todays work so far (was knackered so came for a rest and to update the log)

[​IMG]
    Got this from a Friend of the family, a nice sturdy lump of 6mm alu plate.

[​IMG]
    Marked out the size needed and the approx loaction of the holes needed

[​IMG]
    At this point i realised that i needed a hacksaw which can cut larger depths (dont like turning the blade round 90degrees)

[​IMG]
    The plate cut, ready to be drilled.

[​IMG] decided to dril lines of holes round the side away from the final size and then cut diagonally from the centre and knock the waste out.

[​IMG]

The centre knocked out, ready to be filed to the right size.

More tonight.

14. EnderG60

damn dude thats some might fine work for not having the one tool you need!!!

Please go spend $30 and get yourself a dremel!!!!!

For project plain lazy your sure are doing alot of un-needed work:dremel:

15. Dragosoft

Dragosoft What's a Dremel?

Nice bracket... :rock: i think this mod can be veeeryyy nice or not :p just kidding.

Keep up the modding, man:dremel:

16. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

looking good...very creative:clap:

17. Phat Ass

I have a pseudo dremel thats almost as old as me :) still going strong too. using a saw is faster and easier though.

Cheers for the praise. another update on its way.

18. Phat Ass

Yet more work done

[​IMG]
    took me about 30 minutes to get the block to fit perfectly in the hole.

[​IMG]
    Still got the almost mirror finish on the copper, will repolish it before its put together along with the waterblock.

[​IMG]
    Roughly fitted the plate to the dirve bay cage.

[​IMG]
    4 holes drilled for the waterblock poles.

[​IMG]
    The poles in place

[​IMG]
    was actually aprehensive when this went on, didnt think it would fit as one hole seemed just off.

[​IMG]
    Whole assembly on the cage.

[​IMG]
    The fridge carcas in place, all the raised areas had to be removed for the plate to fit properly.

[​IMG]
    After about an hours work the whole thing is smooth.

[​IMG]
    The holes got drilled for the poprivits which hold the plate in place
    [​IMG]
    All the poprivits in but not fastened, they cant be attached till the screws for the clu block are counter sunk, and i need some counter sunk bolts too.

[​IMG]
    it does however all fit together, which is nice.

19. EnderG60

im confused...what exactly are you doing in the pics above??

20. Phat Ass

which pics above, there are about a dozen of them