1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: PrometheusCU - Update #54 - May 28 2010 - Video Teaser

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Langer, 18 Jul 2008.

1. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli I get by fine with a jig-saw.

Hold on... You are replacing all the pins in your power supply?

I mean, I salute that as dedication, but... why? I mean Corsair already makes a pretty damn nice power supply...

I looked up those pop-rivets though, they are beautiful...

Laz

2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

From what I see in the list every wire in the case will be measured, shrinkwrapped, and sleaved to exact size. Cable management 401. Above and beyond. See no wires, speak no bad cable management.

The only ones that bother me are:
    4 x E-SATA II Cable w/ Metal Latch - 6'

Damn! 6 foot SATA cables? :jawdrop:
    john

Last edited: 21 Nov 2008
  3. Von Lazuli

I was referring to the purchase of 200 female ATX pins...

Cable sleeving was a given...

4. jhanlon303

Bulk discount? Projects in the wings? Home business?
    This is Langer - never ask, just watch and be prepared to be :jawdrop:

john

5. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I've had wire manufacturer ITW-Pancon fabricate me custom designed wire to my spec, I will be using that throughout the case... just like everything else - off the shelf wont do. This wire is shielded, yet still bends incredibly well - and it looks the part. I also contracted out a spool of custom manufactured 18AWG 24conductor ribbon cable w/ no pitch (pitch is the spacing between conductors - IDE cable has no pitch for example) from ITW-Pancon - seemingly impossible to find for some reason. I also will be soldering the pins in place, and many power wires will be soldered directly to the hardware to eliminate the need of GIANT connectors (I purchased most of the connectors and pins as a just-in case scenario).

Once you change the actual wire, you'll need new pins to crimp onto it... which reminds me that I forgot to buy a crimping tool (hopefully needle nose will do the job).

I still have so many things in store for you all that even I've forgotten most of them.

Just keep reading to uncover all the goodness.

also... Thanks for the vote of confidence John - Thanks the spirit! haha

6. jhanlon303

:jawdrop:

Any more than 1 and I will look like CK.
    john

7. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Actually I only need 1x ATX connector, to plug into the PSU itself. The other side will be soldered to the back of the motherboard.

You may want to consider this for your H20-C7 project if the connector is too big.

Much of what I ordered there is 'worst-case' stuff, I like to have plans B and C to backup a failed plan A - should that be the case.

[edit]
    Also, those 6' SATA cables, are actually eSATA cables - to be used with my external HDDs. Because space is so limited I only have enough room for SSDs - even the naked Velociraptor is too tall for where I'll be installing the drives. This means that because I am using 4x64GB SSDs, I won't have much space so I'll be using 4x750GB LaCie Neil Poulton drives in addition to my 10TB network storage unit.
    [/edit]

[edit2]
    @Von Lazuli - another thing - I'm using Nylon Multifilament Abrasion Resistant sleeving, not PET. This means that I don't get the benefits of 'expandable' sleeving - so I have to remove all the connectors to get it on.
    [/edit2]

8. jhanlon303

Good ideas. What I need is a 4 inch ATX extension cable. I have found a 6" and can cut it down and re-pin and sleave it.
    Modsquad keeps pointing us to the Million Dollar PC site. There is a serious number of sleaved individual wires - including ATX on that site. 20 wires flapping in the breeze in a case that's 5 inches tall and 8 1/2 inches wide seems to be clutter. Might be pretty if loomed properly. 4 inches is not much. Did I say that?

john

9. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Ironically...

I just got my receipt from CableOrganizer.com (finally, damn eChecks take too long to clear!) - I got the below:
    225' - 0.125" Nylon Multifilament Sleeve (MSNYMF0125)
    200' - 0.1875" Nylon Multifilament Sleeve (MSNYMF01875)
    200' - 0.25" Nylon Multifilament Sleeve (MSNYMF025)
    100' - 0.50" Nylon Multifilament Sleeve (MSNYMF050)
    75' - 0.75" Nylon Multifilament Sleeve (MSNYMF075)
    25' - 2.5" DuraWrap Ballistic Nylon Side-Entry Sleeve (MSDW250)
    25' - 0.25" 2:1 Heatshrink (HS2-025FT)
    25' - 0.5" 2:1 Heatshrink (HS2-050FT)
    5' - 0.75" 4:1 Heatshrink (HS4-075-FT)
    Sub-Total: ~$500US

To- be shipped on the 28th... a bit behind schedule, but hopefully not an issue.

10. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Wow! I need to see how all this works out!

As for you eChecks, why can you not to instant transfer with your Paypal account? My family has a paypal account and I set up my savings and checking accounts on there and I just do instant transfer. No wait. I think it's to do with having a credit card on the Paypal account as a backup source.

Cableorganizer.com is a great site!

Do you know of somewhere where I can get the female versions of ATX connectors so I can mount them on a panel beside the motherboard tray so all the cables are hidden and then use short 6" cable to connect to the device?

Performance PCs has something like that and I've used them for something else but they are not good for mounting on a panel.

11. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Sorry mate, I haven't seen a 'panel-mount' ATX connector before.

You could 'wedge' or epoxy a normal ATX connector into a cutout in a 2MM aluminum piece (eg. 2"x4"), then epoxy or bolt that panel to the mobo tray.

As for the eCheck thing... I don't have a credit card tied to Pay-Pal so it takes 5-8bus. days... but this one was due to clear on the 15th... so it was 5-days late.

12. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I was afraid thats what would have to be done. Oh well. That case wont be built till next summer.

I found a site that seems to have real good prices on carbon fiber ( http://compositeenvisions.com/ ) and im thinking about making the panels out of it.

Do you need to do vacuum sealing or whatever its called?

I also took a look at that Million Dollar PC site that jhanlon mentioned (your case should be on there when done!) and noticed most all those case have all the connecters with each individual wire sleeved instead of grouped together. Why is that? It looks cool, but does it add anything else?

13. Von Lazuli

I'm with John on this one....

:jawdrop:

14. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

I feel sad for the guys at performance-pcs who will have to pack all that stuff :eek:

and that watercooling setup looks amazing !
    can't wait to see how this will turn out.

keep up the good work ! :thumb:

15. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

@Von Lazuli - Thanks man.

@talladega - PM me with any specific questions about working with carbon. I'll be happy to help.

@Dark~3nergy - I feel sorry for PPCs too. Thanks for the kind words mate.

Last night in the early hours of the morning I came up with a method of running the ATX and 12V lines between the motherboard and the mobo-tray - only to emerge right next to the PSU. (I even have custom made 1-off wire to do it with)

What I have come up with will involve soldering the power lines right to the mobo.

Also I'll be making a cut though the mobo tray beneath the ethernet port - I intend to solder a second port onto the bottom of the mobo, making it easier to wire the mobo to the Alix router.

I'll post a proper illustration - my brain fart doodling is indecipherable. Methinks it'll be tomorrow evening as I'm now off to bed now.

16. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

False sir. I had 2x HD3870's and a Q6600 @ 3.1ghz being cooled by a single 3x120mm rad.

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Indeed. You don't need as big a rad as people think. Run the numbers --they never lie. ;)

18. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Here's a very quick and dirty diagram to roughly show my intent with soldering the ATX and 12V lines to the bottom of the mobo.

I had a short run of (1250ft, lol.. minimum manufacturing length) 24conductor 18agage 'PrometheusCU edition' ribbon cable manufactured by ITW Pancon especially for this (and alot fo the other wires) purpose.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 24 Nov 2008
  19. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I guess it's safe to say you will have zero warranty. :lol:

20. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Bah, who needs a warranty? :D