1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: PrometheusCU - Update #54 - May 28 2010 - Video Teaser

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Langer, 18 Jul 2008.

1. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Thanks for the info HTR, I'm adding you to my rolodex of handy dudes.

I'm going to be installing one of either a m.audio audiophile 2946 card, or my RME audio HDSP 9632 once I get back to Vancouver (most of my posessions are in a u-store back in BC). So there's no doubt about the audio quality.

Here's where I get even more extreme:
    I have the very same panel of nickel coated carbon fiber that was used to shield the communications equipment inside the US Presidential helicopter... should I make a little box to wrap around my RME card when I install it?

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

OOOOOO yes!

I think i am the only one here that is actually hating those graphics card covers...

Alot of work must have gone into doing those. Shame there not real copper covers...

3. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

More work that I care to admit... I broke 2x when filing, I made another...backwards, then another... backwards, then FINALLY 1xComplete one... took literally all day.

I'm a dumbass, I actually made two right after one another with the mirror side facing down.

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

hahaham not enough caffine! I've had days like those!

5. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

2of2.
    Note that this one was made with a tilt to it to reflect the graphics on the GPU block better.

I've not yet installed it, it's just a friction fit with the ramsinks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Trip.X

Trip.X What's a Dremel?

That is very sweet, what you are doin' with that shields ont the back

7. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

you got a link?

I love those covers! Was thinking about doing similar for my next case, except not copper.

8. turboshifter

turboshifter What's a Dremel?

the copper covers aren't relly doing it for me
    I don't like them at all
    Perhaps they will look better when the camera isn't focused on them and the case is seen as a whole.

9. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

auch, you better have some dust-removing gear handy, becouse the mirror finish really highlights the dust, maby the flash makes it it stand out more, but you can allready see the dust building up..

but other than that, it's fantastic. Copper on black is a good combination apparenty.. :) :thumb:

oh, and you shoud probably call them something else than "stealthing" plates, as stealth means that it's not making a big deal out of it self... and those plates DO.. :p

10. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Haha, how about 'Blatently obvious plates' then? That's not dust, it's remnants of my filing - I've not cleaned the cards yet.

@turboshifter how's this:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 25 Nov 2008
  11. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

There you are with all them nice hoses. This is just betting better and better.
    john

12. Richh999

Richh999 Small Time Modder

Amazing Mod is all I can say.
    The "Blatently obvious plates" have turned out quite nicely. At first I really didn't like them on the close up pictures but now they look great in the case with the black pipes attached.

You should make copper covers for the pumps to hide them and so they fit in with the rest of the case, also may help support the lower pump as well by extending it up to the 3.5" drive bay.

Have you decided how to mount you hard drives, or solid states, can't remember which you said you were going to get.

13. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Thanks guys.

The whole front of the case will be encased in a copper shell something like the below image. So the pumps will be hidden. Also the 2nd pump will have a support bracket and will use plastic fittings to reduce vibrations.

[​IMG]
    The 4x64BG SSDs will be mounted flat onto this shell in between the case panel and the drive bays.

Last edited: 25 Nov 2008
  14. jhanlon303

The little one on the left is a detail and will be full size like the one on the right?
    You have enough copper in this to stop neutrinos! No EMI spilling out of this case.
    john

15. [- pio -]

[- pio -] Minimodder

Me thinks the "little" plate will be facing the motherboard, the holes thus being for routing hose and stuff. This mod is so utterly insane (in a positive way of course) that it has bereaved me of my ability to express emotion and use colloquial language...

16. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

The little one on the left will go here - hope that makes sense, it's was pretty quick and dirty.

17. jhanlon303

Thank you - pio knows things.
    john

18. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

OMG, a lot has happened since I went away Friday lol. This is looking amazing my friend. 4 SSD's, no expense is too much ey? lol.

19. thespeedingbullet

thespeedingbullet ...

Hey,
    Just out of curiosity, what are you going to be running for an os on this. XP would be wicked fast but you may run into some driver issues. Also what will the pico be running.

20. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Just ordered the 4x 64GB SSD's from NCIX.com
    Thanks to Bindi for the post in the "Bargain" section.

G.SKILL FM-25S2S-64GB 64GB 2.5IN SATA2 SSD

Performance Specifications
    Sequential Read Rate 155MB/sec (MAXIMUM 170MB/sec in Vista)
    Sequential Write Rate 90MB/sec (MAXIMUM 100MB/sec in Vista)
    Access Time >0.2ms

[​IMG]

@SpeedingBUllet - Welcome to the forums mate! The OS will be Vista 64, vlite'd to remove all the Vista BS - eventually Windows 7. The Pico runs Windows Home Server and a custom front end for the 7"touch panel. The Alix router runs PfSense.

Last edited: 26 Nov 2008