1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: PrometheusCU - Update #54 - May 28 2010 - Video Teaser

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Langer, 18 Jul 2008.

1. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

@stuartwood89 - Thanks a lot mate. I'm afraid I don't know the max lengths before you get degradation - sorry. As for the crimping... I don't want to wait for the crimping tool to arive to I decided to just solder the pins into place.

I started wiring my GTX280's tonight.
    First I soldered the pins into place, because I didn't want to wait for the crimper to arrive.
    I also sleeved the ribbon cable style wires with my Nylon Multifilament sleeving.

Believe it or not but these power lines will pretty much be the ONLY VISIBLE POWER LINES when the build is done.

The tubing is not complete , and all the heatshrinking is temporary, also the hose clamps will be swapped out.

Here is step 1 in the wiring puzzle:
    I crossed the wires like this so make bending them around the GFX card easier.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've also installed the clear tubes that will act as windows:
    [​IMG]

2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Very nice. Lost the baggy look I mentioned before. Now cover everything up with copper and laser cut stuff and shut the door. It does seen a waste to plan to hide so much, but I like it.

john

3. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Looking good, I like the sleeving on the tubes. makes everything match.

4. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Top notch wiring! I can't believe how good the crossed wires on the GFX cards look. :thumb:

5. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli I get by fine with a jig-saw.

Wow... it is beautiful (I refer to the simple black sleeving running down the side of the board like that.)

I am not 100% on the clear tubing running to the mosfets, but I can understand why it is there.

Keep up the excellent quality work...

Oh! What is the news with the mounting brackets for the Pico you sent off to be fabricated?

Laz

6. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

If we were satisfied then we'd never mod! :)

7. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

what/>? no side window on this thing?

8. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

I'm now imagining a huge snake of a 24-pin cable coiled up inside your tiny case :hehe:

9. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

@jhanlon303 - Thanks man.

@tranc3 - Thank you - that was exactly my intent.

@craigbru - It still needs to be cleaned up, I want the criss-cross look to be more even. Thanks man. I made some sketches for you, I'll clean them up and fire them over to you in the next couple days.

@Von Lazuli - uhh... the Pico is complete, all it needs is some liquid added to it's loop. I'll still be waiting a few weeks on the copper panels that are out for fabrication -if that's what your're referring to. Thanks man.

@talladega - Very true!

@Djayness - Where did you get that idea? There will be a window... I'm hoping it will be somewhat unique.

10. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

this whole mod is unique
    what more could you ask for?
    or i should say
    what are you talking about
    it WILL be unique

11. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

At a loss for words, still! :jawdrop:

This is just beautifull, and I love your sence of detail!

There should be a MOTM for finished pc's also... :)

12. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

@hedoe - Thanks a lot man

@Angel OD - Thanks man. Unfortunately I was already in a MOTM competition, and it was early on in my construction so one of the fun stuff had been revealed... "Paperazzi" beat me. Still a great honor to have qualified.

13. alpha_prime

alpha_prime What's a Dremel?

I really like the look of the sleeved WC tubes and wiring. It resembles the hoses of a phase change unit :D.

You're going to sell your surplus of wire sleeving, right? Will you be shipping world-wide?

14. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Langer, loving it. However, I think yoy either need to go for the 'fully sleeved' or completely un-sleeved, as a bit unsleeved looks to me like you just ran out of sleeving :p

15. bradders2125

bradders2125 What's a Dremel?

With the amount of work you are putting in to this case i think you should choose a different way to check fluid levels. Something thats says it was meant to be there instead of, oh i need to check levels, i'll just half sleeve a tube, that will do.

Aside from that can't wait for the copper and CF goodness to happen.

16. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I don't know a lot about water cooling - but I do know this is a project log. Even my Stealth Shoebox changes daily. My take was this is something temporary and when the aforementioned CU panels arrive changes would need to be made.
    What do I know? [​IMG]

john

17. bradders2125

bradders2125 What's a Dremel?

I hope so as they are the only part of this mod i don't really like or wish i was able to do.

18. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Personally I am not a fan of the clear tubing, looks out of place, like you ran out of the other tubing/sleeving. Good luck with your cable management.

Last edited: 11 Dec 2008
  19. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

I am liking this project very much.

Just as a thought though. Why not copper hard line the parts? Use some crimp style connectors or push style adaptors to the block. You can then machine out a window in the copper and cover it with real glass to show the water. Just my thoughts.

Nice build. It looks like its starting to come together. Dont rush it. Dont set deadlines. Setting deadlines screwed me out of my first real mod as I got pissed and trashed it. The next mod I took the whole project one piece at a time. As time went on I tackled small projects and was satisfied with the results.

20. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

*What he said* =)

Thanks for the advice guys. I agree about the clear tubes, and like I stated all the tubing and heatshrinking is just temporary, so I can get a feel for the materials and be able to do it flawlessly when the times comes.

There will still be clear and exposed tubes for window purposes though it'll just be slightly different. For the record it's not an afterthought.. I've been planning to use clear tubes like this for quite some time actually.

I'll certainly take your words into account however.

Thanks! :thumb: