1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: PrometheusCU - Update #54 - May 28 2010 - Video Teaser

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Langer, 18 Jul 2008.

1. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Ohhhhh, diamond heat sinks!

2. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

How does diamond perform for heat conductivity/dissipation? :D

3. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I remember a thread a while back about using Diamond powder to make thermal interface material. With awesome results.

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I believe it has the highest thermal transfer rate of any material, hence awesome performance, the only let down is the rest of the cooling system, such as the IHS and die its self which hold back the energy transfer rate. The best is always over spec'd. lol

5. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Oh dear.

I leave you lot to your own devices and I come back to demands of diamonds. Lol.

There've been many posts and i dont have time right now to thank you all individually, so let me just thank you all for your kind comments and support.

From what I can tell from a quick glance I had only one question, if I missed yours please post it again:

===================

The systems functionality is as such:

- The main system is a power house under water.
    - The secondary system is a watercooled Pico-ITX board attached to the 7" touch screen LCD on the front.
    - The third system an an AMD Geode based embedded Linux system that runs a modified version of pfSense. This system acts as a router, a firewall, and the entire systems wi-fi card.
    - The 'fourth' system -if you could call it that- is an Arduino control board that will run a circuit that will control the 100 white LEDs and the 12 BlinkM RGB LEDs

The main board and the Pico are the primary systems and they are networked though the firewall.

The Pico's duty:
    run the 7" LCD w/ custom built front end control system
    control the AquaComputer hardware and regulate/control the entire watercooling system.
    control the fans
    act as a media server to play my music through/from my home network
    lastly it will control the Lights though the Arduino board.

The Alix 2c3 router's duty:
    Protect the system with a firewall
    Network the system
    Act as the WiFi card for the main board and the Pico
    Lastly it's just too cool not to have

The idea here is to have secondary systems that run the critical functions for the main rig. The goal was to produce a small symbiotic package - several systems relying on each other acting a whole. The result will yield a fully automated and controlled watercooling system and a custom front end to control it with -that also acts as a jukebox- and no added system load on the primary rig keeping things nice and zippy.

I will be using the system for several tasks - most of which can be performed with the aid of Cuda - hence the reason why I chose the cheaper Phenom over an Intel chip. Most of my work is done with raw GPU power these days and the CPU is sort-of an afterthought... but I'm still getting me a Phenom II upon their release.

Prometheus will...
    run a Multitouch projection screen for me to use for my interface development - for work
    perform a lot of video editing
    be my day-to-day rig... until my next project (can you say decahexacore?)

theAlien likes this.
  6. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

I'm still really interested in the arduino, it's an italian project but i'm focusing on modding...
    Can you give me some hints/ideas about how you drive it?

7. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

wow i now have a brown paper bag duct taped to my mouth
    and i am hyper ventilating
    oh my..........
    holy mother of crap man
    this thing will take for ever!
    but it will be so badass!

8. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Hey Langer,
    Is that the same Arduino board the fashion desihners are using to put LEDs into some of the fashions that have lights?

I watched a thing on TV about some weird clothes designs and they mentioned Arduino.

john

9. slisgrinder

slisgrinder Minimodder

sorry to butt in...yes those are the same arduino but the ones used in clothes are probably going to be smaller. I am working on arduino for just about 3 weeks now and man am i amazed at what it can be interfaced with...if only i had funding to continue my hardware programming dreams...lol

10. Connection|Closed

Connection|Closed What's a Dremel?

Langer your attention to detail is fantastic! This must be costing you a small fortune. I can't wait to see it finally finished. :rock:

11. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

/Begin hijack again

Lillypad is what was shown on TV. Thanks for the links.

/End hijack

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

john

12. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

*same bat time, same bat channel!

13. slisgrinder

slisgrinder Minimodder

np...right now am trying to get my head into CUDA with Processing because I use Processing with my arduino to control my LEDs

14. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I use processing for interface development, and for some video based stuff as well. Fantastic! and so easy to write.

15. slisgrinder

slisgrinder Minimodder

yeah...its easy especially as it doesn't complicate the serial communication between the laptop and the arduino...but how do you integrate c++ with CUDA since i have learned c++ and am still learning c++ in college/university...???

16. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I've been swamped with real-life the past weeks.

however:
    I spent the past few days building myself a reflex still for making -among other things- potato vodka.

The irony here is that I don't even drink.

I just decided to try something new to keep my fresh. I'm constantly doing things like this - I have an insatiable desire to learn new things.

For example: About a month ago I built some Ham radios for myself and a friend. My goal was to be able to chat from a laptop -> through a Morse code oscillator -> across the air -> back into another oscillator -> into another laptop. I saw it as a sort of post apocalyptic/zombie invasion communication plan. It worked by-the way, and before long we had our own AM radio station... before almost getting fined - did you know these things need licenses?

I haven't yet taken and pictures of the completed still but I'm gong to start with some teasers for you all. The entire still was built for about ~$150.00 and the construction assumes that you care capable of soldering copper pipe and have very basic DIY knowledge.

I plan on distilling for the first time on Friday/Saturday - I'll then post a log of the parts/construction/process/recipe/and the dangers.

For now here are some teaser shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 90% complete article - before cleaning:
    [​IMG]

Eventually I'd like to make an automated Laptop controlled still with computer controlled valves, heaters, and a PC radiator with fan control.

Hahahahaha

Last edited: 7 Jan 2009
  17. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

18. slisgrinder

slisgrinder Minimodder

nice distiller... you could even convert that into a bong for your water cooling loop on prometheus build:rock:...

thankx for the link...

19. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

So you've started making the moon shine for the party after completing prometheusCU, sweet il be there!

20. Stig

Stig What's a Dremel?

My high school chem teacher used to tell us stories about how his dad had a still in the bathtub when they lived in the middle east (his dad worked for oil companies back in the day). Maybe you could incorporate a small one into the case :dremel: