1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Proteus

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Ianovski, 29 Jun 2020.

1. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Midplate

Big fat update with a lot of images incoming! I worked on the midplate, hoping it will hide all the chaos that will be happening in the lower part of the case, as well as giving me a nice spot to mount the res. I started out by ordering a piece of acrylic glass that was cut to size and then bend into shape. The first thing I will focus on is where I'm going to place the pump. I want the liquid to go from the res, straight into the pump and next into the front rad. This is my 3rd watercooling build but by far the most extreme one. Also using brass tubing for the first time so it should get rather interesting.

Without further ado, here are some pictures! First, the acrylic glass. I measured where the pump should be and my first tube will go straight up, through the midplate, to the front rad.
    [​IMG]

Tried to measure as well as I could!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tube going up, straight into the rad with a nice 90 degree bend.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And down under into the pump.
    [​IMG]

I also want a way to drain this loop straight from the pump. For that I needed to drill a hole in the bottom of the case.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Adding a little valve (it's called valve right?) to be able to open and close the loop for drainage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And back to the midplate. The PSU is mounted below and I would like the cables for the GPU to go through the plate. This should also help to make the cables look nice and tidy. I needed some hole for that!
    [​IMG]

It fits! Will do all the cables at a later stage.
    [​IMG]

And now onto the resevoir. The loop might look overcomplicated but I want to keep the loop from rotating. There will be some weight pushing down on the other fitting. This is also the best way to go so that I can fit the tubes back into the pump underneath the midplate.

Marking where the res should go.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Drilled some holes and mounted the res into place.
    [​IMG]

Added a pass-through for the tubes coming from the res. This was a super tight fit but I'm really pleased with how it turned out!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I will now show you how everything is going to fit underneath the midplate. There's not a lot of space but it all fits just right. Only thing I never thought about it accessibility for the hard drives. If I want or need to swap one, I need to take apart the entire mod, which kinda sucks so let's hope they don't die anytime soon!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's it for now! I will now slowly start with the watercooling and take it from there. There's also a really exciting update coming up from be quiet! You've already seen some teasers about their products and I'm super happy with how they look! So stay tuned for that :D

As always, let me know what you think!

Cheapskate likes this.
  2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:thumb: Good bend... It's nice and straight with no 'puckering' on the corners. You will have a heck of a time assembling under that. :lol:

3. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

The company I send it out to did a really awesome job! They're a company in the Netherlands and even though I live in Sweden, I keep coming back to them!

And I already had trouble getting everything lined up.. it's just going to be me measuring everything 200 times before cutting. But it should also get interesting to see how everything will turn out! I'll keep painting it black until the last moment, it's rather helpful that I can see through it :p

4. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has started the PowerCore scratch build

Awesome work, and cool design, the screen next the MB is a nice touch, and cant wait to see that front panel lit :happy:. Wonder if you could make the screen translucent by removing the reflector sheets and back light it somehow, seen a case on Linus tech tips like that, and it looks pretty sweet.

5. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

Thanks! I could make the screen translucent, I've seen it done before, but it would probably lose its rigidity, which is not something I've accounted for when mounting it. Plus, if it were translucent, you could just see the back of the case. It can be super cool though if you mount it on the window for example.