1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Puncture Wound

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by SoulkeepHL, 2 Mar 2004.

1. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

looks it going well. Good luck with it mate.

2. SoulkeepHL

SoulkeepHL What's a Dremel?

The problem:

[​IMG]

After doing some measuring, I think I can get away with just enough clearance if I mount the psu to the frame instead of to the motherboard tray. But I'm going to have to pull my mobo from my desktop to make sure. Worst comes to worst, I can either rework the 5.25 cages and mount the psu on the backpanel, or get a 1U psu.

3. SoulkeepHL

Mitre Mania! mitred all of the alu. angle pieces, jb welded one set of pieces, and decided that I need to aquire the quickset jb weld :), 4-6 hours before handling is too long :D. Also figured out how to attach the hdd cage, instead of mounting it like its shown, I'm going to mount it to the frame, this time i measured :). Whether the psu fits is still questionable, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to that point :).

4. SoulkeepHL

I really need a scanner or maybe a new camera :D. Heres a digitally enhanced picture (yes, there really was a picture underthere at one point, but you couldnt really make much out) of what I drew up for the face of the case in terms of fan placement and switches and such.

[​IMG]

5. -SilentNight-

-SilentNight- Hardcore pro gamer

nice but i gevu u an hint don't put those 40x40mm fans they are so noisy and especialy when they get old...

6. SoulkeepHL

Yeah, I know they're noisy buggers, I bought a half dozen of them for a project years ago that I never finished, but they're would need to be holes there anyways for circulation. Heh, as soon as I pulled them out of the drawer they've been sitting in, i was like "oh yeah, these are getting run at 5v," :D.

7. SoulkeepHL

Actually, it seems more like I bought a dozen of those 40mm sunnon's, so I'll still have lots left. Ah well, just used a hole saw for the first time, and found out that im far to impatient, but it does leave a nice clean hole, its just slow going. But then, I've never enjoyed cutting, well, much of anything with a dremel, its more of a necessity tool, as I fall back on it when I can't make a cut with my jigsaw, which I far prefer. But here's the result of tonights work:

[​IMG]

8. SoulkeepHL

Ok, anyone else notice whats missing from the face plate diagram? I cant believe I forgot it :wallbash: .

9. The_Sub

The_Sub What's a Dremel?

Uh.... perhaps a place for the power supply socket??? :confused:

10. SoulkeepHL

Heh, indeed. Still can't believe I forgot it. Progress for the night:

[​IMG]

Need to file down the opening for the cdrom trays further, the top opening just needes to be smoothed out, the bottom needs to be enlarged a bit. Just need to drill the holes for the buttons and the led, and the front should be set.

[​IMG]

Close to what the end result will be. Need to cut the bar stock down to cover the drive bays as well. Decided to forgo the 40mm fans for the time being and just use some filter material instead.

11. The_Sub

The_Sub What's a Dremel?

Doesn't look too bad. Looks like it'll be a winner. As to the PSU Socket... Well. I had to look at the diagram a few times and still didn't catch it till I scrolled through the pics and saw that PSU sitting there.
    /me be think'n hes gonna need some way to plug that in... :D

12. SoulkeepHL

Ok, so I've run out of time to work on this. I was hoping to finish it over my spring break, but no such luck, and I've got no space to work back at school, let alone lugging the tools, so I'm done with this for the next two months.

13. f U z ! o N

f U z ! o N What's a Dremel?

dude where did u get that ammo case and what size is it

14. x3r0

x3r0 What's a Dremel?

Looks good, but i can guarantee you that those 40mm fans are going to piss you off no end.
    THey are either going to die, or make REALLY annoying sounds for the first 2 mins when they are first turned on. :sigh:

15. SoulkeepHL

It was the largest sized ammo can that I could find on ebay at the time, I'm sure they're are identical twins floating around out there. And I don't know about the 40mm fans anymore, the 40mm holes will work out well either way for just vents, but i'll have to see about the fans. then again i do already have a dozen of those 40mm buggers just floating around.

Edit: Here's one just like it:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36258&item=3671490481&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Last edited: 14 Apr 2004
  16. SoulkeepHL

Ok, just started work again on the case now that I'm back from school, cut some of the scrap steel sheet into 1.5" L's to reinforce the joints on the alu. frame, hopefully it'll work well enough, we'll see. Beyond that, most of the fab work is done, so then I get to try my hand at paint and then put it all together.

17. SoulkeepHL

[​IMG]

All jigged up while putting the final pieces together, once everything sets up, it should be good to be assembled.

18. Kolmik

Kolmik What's a Dremel?

And to think...all I use old ammo cans for is to hold important papers. :duh:

19. Vazzini42

Vazzini42 What's a Dremel?

could you put the 40 mm fans in as intended but undervolt them so they run almost quiet?

there was someone explaining how to do that somewhere on these boards..

i mean you already got the fans and you got the holes

looks like its shaping up well though :)

Vazz

20. SoulkeepHL

Nothing like updating a year later. Last year this time I had all the corners of the alu. frame assembled using jb weld and some gusset plates, or atleast they were assembled until I dropped the frame and poped a gusset plate clean off one of the corners. So thats when the project got shelved as I don't know how to weld, and I had already gotten ambitious mitering all the coreners.

So here we are, and now I've gotten a bit bored over the last few days of spring break and I pull it back out and start working on a new solution. This time around I'm taking to cuting up the rest of the case I stole the motheboard tray from and using it to secure all the angle alu. together using even more pop rivets. The crossbar is going to hold the psu, and a hdd cage is getting riveted to the bottom of the case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]