1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Project Pupp3r

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by MLyons, 7 Aug 2019.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Making card houses?
    ( :lol: Hippie plexiglas. :lol: )

MLyons likes this.
  2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Eyes are peeled.

3. Cheapskate

4. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Wow its been a long time. So that night I managed to finish the shell of the case. IMG_20190828_192922.jpg
    And with our itx test rig inside
    IMG_20190828_211933.jpg
    So what's next? Well I've managed to get a donor case from the office that I will be cutting the motherboard tray, io shield and pcie brackets out of. These will then be attached to a gpu and motherboard and put into the case so I know where they need to go. That will happen as soon as my motherboard arrives. For front IO I also plan on taking it from the donor case. For the power supply the plan is to take it apart and put it back together with longer screws so they go through the side panel into the psu.

Next update will happen when my motherboard arrives

Last edited: 3 Oct 2019
    maxlxyd, Vault-Tec and yuusou like this.
  5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

All the best cases are made from minced lamb and spices.

6. AllXFrag

AllXFrag What's a Dremel?

Well might as well be a doner case since it's gonna be roasting slowly on that hotbox. :clap:
    GG doge, you're getting there! :dremel:

MLyons likes this.
  7. The_Crapman

Oh my god. Liamb Li!

Arboreal and Cheapskate like this.
  8. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

fixed. ty
    prefer cheescake for my cases tbh
    Nah temps will be fine... hopefully
    @Dogbert666 get this into a review

9. Cheapskate

Donor mobo tray...:duh: This is painful. Trace the board on some card stock already! :D Use that to mount risers, position the back panel against the mounted board and trace the I/O plate. Whack hole. For the gpu, you can use one of those squares on the outside of the panel to mount the bracket.
    Hack first / fit later. :lol:
    I'm not a fan of I/O plates anyway. They are made to fit sheet metal.

10. MLyons

I can't trace a board I don't have. It's only a 460X. Board I'm planning to use has a built in IO shield. Once I have the motherboard all will fit into place.

11. Cheapskate

Any Itx board will work.

12. MLyons

Got none spare in the office.

13. MLyons

So it's been a busy day. First the victim. A Corsair 460X that fell into my boot.
    IMG_20191005_113023.jpg
    The first thing I did was rip out all of the IO and the case feet. I'm 99% sure I'll be using the IO but for the feet it will only be if something from @mnpctech doesn't catch my eye.
    IMG_20191005_114012.jpg
    Next was to get the IO plate out of the case. This was a right pain in the ass. It was completly riveted to the main chassis. No screws but nothing a chisel and a heckin big hammer couldn't sort.
    IMG_20191005_145807 (1).jpg
    After a a ton of work and a lot of swearing the IO plate was out but it was no where near small enough to fit into the case. Time to use a dremel for the first time. :dremel:. Here is a picture of how I "secured" it to a piece of cardboard so I didn't have to lean on it to keep it still as I don't have a vice.
    IMG_20191005_174100 (1).jpg
    And with a bit of time and a lot of sparks I had this.
    IMG_20191005_175424.jpg
    Notice how it looks super warped and the cuts aren't straight. This is due to me snapping it for the final cut and it was my first time with a dremel. Next up the test fit.
    IMG_20191005_175500.jpg
    And it fits... just. I'd love to lie and say it was cut like that but it was a complete guess. I could probably do with cutting that last PCIe brakcet off but I'll do that after the build is done. Now for a quick mock test with a spare 270x I have lying around.
    IMG_20191005_175518.jpg
    And it also fits... just. Now your're probably thinking "Hang on a minute there Doge. How the heck are you going to fit 2 RGB fans under there?". Well in this picture the IO plate isn't quite to the very top of the case. When you do that it leaves you with this sort of space.
    IMG_20191005_183324.jpg
    Plenty of room. Tomorrow I'll hopefully be able to cut the motherboard tray out of the 460x so i can start drilling holes and attaching the IO plate and the motherboard tray to the case.

14. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Looking good! You know you can just drill rivets out right?

15. MLyons

Cheers. I did try but my drill was playing up so resorted to the screwdriver method of hitting the top off.

16. MLyons

Just a quick mini update. I've started grinding down the standoffs on the case feet so they will sit flush against the case and they're looking good. I've also worked out that the plan I have for mounting the PSU will work and below is a picture of it with the screws swapped out. Taking the 5mm of acrylic into account I should have 3mm of the thread in the PSU which seems fine at the moment.
    IMG_20191005_234546 (2).jpg
    The fan will be facing outside of the case and the grill will hopefully be enough. If not I'll try to find some mesh to put over it.

Cheapskate likes this.
  17. Cheapskate

Duct tape... I'm hoping you followed proper protocols and yelled, "squeal like a pig," right before starting the grinder.
    Beat the rivets out: You savage! :lol: You realize the rivets are sturdier that the sheet metal, right? Also, you could have dremeled them out. There's also the option of turning the whole drill around if the battery is dead.
    My Scooby-Doo-trained detective skills make me suspect that this "heckin big hammer" you mention was really Gareth's stapler.
    That said, It's good that you are moving forward and not barking at stuff outside. :thumb:

18. MLyons

My dremel skills are super poor and they are in super awkward spots so it makes using a dremel tricky. The only other rivets I might need to deal with are the motherboard tray but I'm hoping not.

I've tested the PSU mount on a slightly thinner bit of acrylic and it works. Here we can see that the bolts line up and I've draw around where the PSU hole will go so i might use this piece as a test for that as well.
    IMG_20191006_153115.jpg
    And here it is mounted vertically to double check they were strong enough. Now the acrylic is thinner but I think there is still enough thread using the 5mm stuff in the case for it to stay secured.
    IMG_20191006_153056.jpg
    I think I'll work on mounting the top fans/radiator next as I can't really do the PSU without knowing exactly where the rad, motherboard and GPU are going to be

19. The_Crapman

Have a look at speaker spikes. I've always thought they'd make good case feet, should isolate vibrations from resonating through the desk too.

20. Cheapskate

:worried: Funny you should mention both. I was supposed to draw some turntable spikes for him and kinda forgot.

MLyons likes this.