1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Purple Butterfly. New pics 08/04

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Slannesh, 27 Jul 2003.

1. Slannesh

Slannesh What's a Dremel?

Hey guys!

Now that Green Dragon is mostly finished I thought i'd update you all on my new project, Purple Butterfly. This is a case for my girlfriend that I just started today. Hopefully it will be an interesting looking case when it's finished.

Here's the obligatory before shots.. pretty generic.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blowhole cut with my new holesaw. Finally no more dremelling them for me! :clap:
    [​IMG]

Window layout, have to get rid of unsightly vent holes...
    [​IMG]

Cutting the window, the nasty holes you see here were from the bit that I used to cut the hole so I could use my jigsaw. Obviously not a good choice. Stupid drillbit.
    [​IMG]

However I think I managed to salvage the panel. This hasn't been cleaned up yet but it's the window.
    [​IMG]

This case will be purple with UV lighting. UV reactive fans and butterfly etching on the window.

I'm also planning a motherboard side window or cutout that will be lit up as well but my GF hasn't decided on an image for it yet. That will determine what actually gets done.

The front bezel for this case will be one of it's most interesting features. Don't want to give away too much just yet but it will look VERY cool, I promise!

~Slannesh

Last edited: 4 Aug 2003
  2. Crim

Crim What's a Dremel?

I have the same case but with a pre-modded side panel, keep going I might get some ideas :D

3. Slannesh

I did a really rough photoshop of a possible paintjob for this case.

I think perhaps both the purple and the yellow are too bright. I may try doing the yellow areas in a color changing paint which shifts from a dark metallic purple to a dark metallic green. I think it'd look better. The purple will likely be darker and may be a metallic paint as well. Perhaps I'll do the inside of the case in the yellow but I think that would take away from the UV lighting.

Any suggestions on an interior color that wouldn't take away from the UV? Matte black perhaps?

On the front bezel where the white dots are I think i'm going to put some LED's probably something not stupidly bright since they'll be exposed... or perhaps I could put small frosted perspex there so they won't be so intense.

[​IMG]

Or perhaps something like this. Darker purple and a silver or Chrome bezel and top.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 27 Jul 2003
  4. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Yellow and purple will probably give someone eye strain. But the combo sounds ok.

5. DaSuperFly

DaSuperFly What's a Dremel?

Dark purple and silver looks more dignified IMHO :p

6. IceColdFever

IceColdFever What's a Dremel?

Purple and Gold were my HS colors. Go Comets!

They're also complimentary (?) colors, so you can't go wrong! :D

7. Melov

Melov What's a Dremel?

The purple and dark silver looks good.

8. maeterlinck

maeterlinck What's a Dremel?

dark purple and silver looks far more classy. it's also the more classic option. purple and yellow can look amazing if you go for a 'military' dirty look. think furturistic movie type style. it would also go with the triangles cut in the side...

however, as i have just read - this is for your girlfriend... (she's not into scifi movies i guess?) you could adapt the idea though, use metalic purple and and 'dirty' yellow to tone it down a bit...

9. Melov

Melov What's a Dremel?

If you're gonna do yellow make sure you paint the plate thats on the power switch. $$

10. maeterlinck

I'd say replace the whole power switch, the crappy ones that come with cases as standard usually arn't up to the same standard as a decent mod...

agreed tho, you shouldn't leave any unpainted plastic because it will look different to the rest of the case...

11. Slannesh

More photoshop concept stuff

Here's a few other colour combinations.

So far she's leaning to the purple/teal

Thought i'd try Purple and Red.
    [​IMG]

Then she decided that she likes teal. Actually not too bad if I find the right shades.
    [​IMG]

I was thinking about what people had said about the power switch so I thought I could move it to where the 3.5" bays were since this machine won't have a floppy and then use the big hole it would leave behind to generate some airflow by doing a new Plexi fascade for the lower part.

[​IMG]

Better do you think? None of this has been done yet. I'm playing with some patterns for etches in the windows at the moment.

12. maeterlinck

I like the purple/teal combi with the new buttons and fanlet.
    i think you need to stealth the fanlet though...

13. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Had PS open anyway, so had a play for some colours. :)

[​IMG]

<EdiT>
    Coloured corners, screws, stealthed floppy, and side grill:

[​IMG]

14. kopite

kopite What's a Dremel?

lol HWU you have far too much time on ur hands... Finished uni for the year?

15. Slannesh

Wow.

I bow to your obviously superior PS skillz :rock:

The window is already cut so the side vent holes are gone already. When will case manufacturers give us nice flat side panels to cut up? <G>

16. maeterlinck

i like the vent holes though - it give the case a more rounded and professional look. admitadly you can't cut too near to them but still can look really classy with them there..

17. Slannesh

Nah, not me... I don't like vent holes... So I usually cut em out or cover em up.

18. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

What you think to colours? Can change them, or do other combos if you want, just a quick overlay change. :)

19. Slannesh

Knock yourself out if you can think of a cool combination.

There will be purple though she's decided on that.

The interior I think i'll do black to really show off the UV innards.

Second colours i'm open to suggestions.

20. maeterlinck

how about green? :D

or not, i think pastel colours would look good here, perhaps even metalic pastels. how good with a paintbrush are you - because you could have lots of different colours for different bits all over - like a butterfly...!