1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project PX03 Darkcrystal wOOdcase FINAL PICS

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by piloux, 12 Nov 2003.

1. Pistol

Pistol Guest

Would you recommend that over the all in wonder? I may look into buying one

2. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

well I dont know, I never use the all in wonder, but mine satisfied myself

3. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

I've noted you've got some Infineon ram with Hynix chips there - same as mine. Unfortunately, the 512 mb versions (which i have two of) refuse to OC on my board... (in dual channel)

4. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

for now i haven t try to overclock it , but I have to buy a second one to use the dualchannel

5. Fr0z3n

Fr0z3n What's a Dremel?

Awesome work. I wish I would have looked at your work earlier. Keep up the good work. :rock:

6. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

hi guys today I finished !installing softwares and I closed the case with the window, i must say that with the wood structure and the window it is a very silent case :rock:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here some shots in the darkness :thumb:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and one with the all config

[​IMG]

well the project isn't near to be finished i ve a lot of finished to make like case badge on the second slot, the finished of blowhole , repair the cracks...

7. Lord Kordir

Lord Kordir What's a Dremel?

piloux, I have to tell you again that you've done an incredible job. Well done matey! :rock:

8. 486hawk

486hawk What's a Dremel?

Good job, I like how you took care of that dark spot you had.
    Question what heat sink are you using?

9. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

it s an slk900u with noiseblocker s2 fan

10. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

i see no pics on this page]

edit:: nvm.. they weren't loading for some reason

11. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Sweet, Sweet, Sweeeeeeeeeee :brrr: Way to :dremel: . A few suggestions tho - get the back fan lit, and move that fan foam to the other side of the fans on the front - they look so much sweeter when exposed.

12. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

well I don't want a light back fan because the case sit just behind my tv and it is wrong for my eyes :D , I m actually working with some differents ideas to change the blue fans filters but they will not be exposed ...

13. Krycek1

Krycek1 What's a Dremel?

Wow, thats really impressive. Good work cool pics.

14. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

looks really nice i love the paint job on the wood.. looks more like plastic then wood. :clap:

15. FlashPanHunter

FlashPanHunter What's a Dremel?

As everyone said already, great work. Thats pretty interesting that the wood made the case quiet, works out nice with air cooled system. Good stuff!

16. BadOldMan

BadOldMan What's a Dremel?

WOW!

I just read your entire log! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

1. Stunning design concept!
    2. Outstanding workmanship!
    3. Astounding commitment to the task.....

Im afraid I cant really offer you a solution to the cracks as I fear that as the wood expands and contracts with the humidity they will simply re-occur again and again. Maybe a latex or acrylic based paint as they are far more elastic than an enamel paint?

Zapwizard and G-gnome had better sit up and pay attention! Their competition has arrived!

17. El_Angelo

El_Angelo What's a Dremel?

piloux.... vous avez fait une merveille.... just fantastic... :jawdrop:
    but (there is always a but) you really ought to paint the cddrive and the power supply... they're way to visible to see let them boring grey....

18. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

I was thinking about moisture effects.
    First, about present cracks: they did not appear because of moisture effects; both appear as breaks through gluing surfaces. one between acrylic and wood and the other between different wood pieces; Piloux you'll have to account for this unavoidable weakspots that are also stress concentration points but this can be managed.

Second, moisture problems usually come with seasons change (not for nothing we speak of "seasoned" wood) as humidity and temperature change but in this case I think bigger problems may come from extended use and idle periods. When using heat will build up and wood will dry and shorten (only in the direction transversal to fibers) and if construction does not allow this movement it will crack; it may also warp. One extended use period may be enough depending on the previous state of case (i.e. not using it some time during humid cold weather).

Third, I think ambiental moisture changes alone will not crack paint and probably they will cause no problem.

I think the most practical way to manage these problems is almost done:
    use some panels to isolate case wall from inside, fix them to wood structure only using screws and in one side don't use round holes but slots and here use some candle wax to lubricate and do not tighten too much to allow movement, to be safe allow at least 4mm movement of expansion or contraction; then fix unyielding structures (as power source) to this panels only. You are already using this kind of panels (those painted black I had forgotten).

I may expand more later but I have to get going now.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2004
  19. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

What I didn't post before:
    if you screw acrylic panels to that wooden sticks structure and everything else to them then you isolate the case from anything that could affect those weak points and if any cracks appear they won't be visble and won't compromise case integrity.

20. Dragosoft

Dragosoft What's a Dremel?

nice job.... :rock: