1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Pyramid PC (update 3-14)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Simplegreen21, 10 Mar 2004.

1. Simplegreen21

Simplegreen21 What's a Dremel?

This is my project, Pyramid PC. My goal was to build a computer case design that was unique. I searched everywhere and I couldn’t find any pyramid shaped PCs, so I decided that was a winner. The design is somewhat compact and doesn’t allow for a lot of hardware, but I don’t use much hardware in my PC anyhow. I would like to thank all the modders here at bit-tech for doing great stuff to inspire me. I would also like to thank hk of Hamlesh.com for hosting my pics. And of course my friend Ben for helping me with some of the construction and ideas.

Specs:
    Athlon XP 3000+ @ 3200+ (big deal, I know)
    Thermaltake volcano 11+
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    2x512 Kingston HyperX DDR 400
    Radeon 9800 Pro
    Seagate barracuda SATA 160G
    Antec true power 550W modular PSU
    Plain old CDrw

It’s a good system and does its job well. Now, on to the project. I started the picture taking a little late. But I think you will be able to see all I did in the picture I have available.

Here is the pyramid cover in a semi completed stage. The large round hole is for PSU exhaust and the smaller round holes are for intake/exhaust fans. The rectangle up in the front is for the CD-Rom drive. The Plexi-glass is held on by pop-rivets. The edges are pieces of angles aluminum that I picked up at the local harware store, they were originally 90 degrees, but were widened to 106(I think). The method of widening was placing an old shovel handle in the angled aluminum and hitting it with a hammer until it widened to the proper degree.
    Note to all aspiring modders out there, measure a lot and cut as accurately as possible, it will save you so much pain.

[​IMG]

This is the base piece. It is all aluminum except for the motherboard tray which I stole from an old crappy case. The piece (except for the angled aluminum around the edges) is all one piece. Squares were cut from the corners and the sides were folded up. Rivets and epoxy were used to hold it all together, the motherboard tray is bolted down.

[​IMG]

Here the two pieces are test fitted together. The top piece is just sitting on the bottom, as of this point there is no mechanism to secure the two.

[​IMG]

Back view

[​IMG]

The next step was to build brackets to hold the CD-Rom and HD. I used aluminum bars to do this. This is the CD-Rom drive bay. The bay itself was cut from an old case, then bolted to the brackets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the HD bay. Again the bay itself was from an old case, then the aluminum pieces were attached.

[​IMG]

Here it is test fitted with an old HD.

[​IMG]

More soon!

Last edited: 14 Mar 2004
  2. Simplegreen21

Can anyone see the pics?

3. opus13

opus13 What's a Dremel?

nope

4. Simplegreen21

ok, i think i got it.

Simplegreen

Last edited: 10 Mar 2004
  5. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

A really good idea, i like how its made clear as ive seen 1 pyramid PC before, which wasnt.
    I like it :thumb:

6. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Inresting idea, I applaud your effort. Also, your cuts look like excellent work. However, the idea is not unique. A friend of mine has already conceived of this idea. I dont think he'll be to happy that you have "taken" his idea though :worried: Nice work though so far; keep it up! Oh, i do have a suggestion: Use a motherboard other than the Asus A7N8X deluxe. With all that transparent plexi, the brown PCB of the motherboard will be an eyesoar :D Thats just my suggestion though. Personally, I would rather use a Shuttle MN31N, because its smaller form factor, and it is bl00. (I love blue :p )

7. Mondak

Mondak What's a Dremel?

Nicely done so far. I will be interested to see how the pieces come together and how each of the little brakets you have to make fit together. You should put some white hyper-brite LEDs in a cluster at the top and call it Project Luxor! Maybe they will be able to see it from space too!

8. naelq

naelq What's a Dremel?

9. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

looking good so far man, but i sugewst you go 64 bit!!!!!

10. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

very stylish, I got to say mate that looks lovely. I think that would look great if u light it up green

11. Simplegreen21

Thanks for all the compliments guys. Unfourtunately all the parts have been purchased, so I can't change them now. ANd not that i don't like blue, but I have already chosen green for the lighting...I had too, its in my name ;) I hope to get in another update soon, so stay tuned!

Ps if you guys can find the links to some of these other pyramid PCs i would like to see them also, thanks.

Simplegreen

12. flo

flo What's a Dremel?

Definately off to a great start. Not to hijack your log, but my friend and I made a pyramid computer using a shuttle mobo:

Early Design

Front View

Back Window

In the end, we rushed it a bit and didn't get time for cable management. I'm curious how you managed the angles. When we tried with 90 degree alluminum, we would have had to gradually change the angle all through it. We just opted for heavy plexiglass and a wood block connecting it at top.

Sadly on the car ride back from the lan it hit the side of the trunk and cracked 2 sides. We never revived it, we just put it back into it's original case. Got the inspiration for it here:

Pyramid case (it's a mac but this is a modding forum so no mac/pc war)

13. Simplegreen21

thanks for the links. I guess we can throw the unique concept out the window, maybe replace it with, "not realy common". Anyhow, for the angled aluminum i talked a bit about it at the begining. The angle for the side is uniform all the way down, I found an equation somewhere that helped me calculated that angled based on some of the measurements. Then i bent the angled aluminum to the proper width. Now that you mention the mac pyramid i had seen something about that, but the design was different and not to my liking. Your case looks great btw. In case you guys were wondering about the dimentions: base 14in x 14 in. base height 3 in. pyramid cover height is 14.5 in. so total height is 17.5 in. before I add feet.

14. flo

flo What's a Dremel?

O, I don't know what we did then :duh:

Can't wait to see some updates. Got a color scheme thought out?

15. scifikg

scifikg What's a Dremel?

16. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

I guess it's an acquired taste...

17. Jewno

Jewno industrial designer

Just out of curiosity, are you in a fraternity or something?

Btw, nice mod! :thumb:

18. Superchunk

Superchunk What's a Dremel?

I really like the look of that so far. Looks like a lot of work to get it all fitting so well, I applaud your abilities. Good work, keep updating I look forward to more pics.

19. Simplegreen21

OK Update time.

I test fitted the drive bays to see how they looked and if they fit right.

[​IMG]

Here I have an old CD-Rom and HD put in to see if it all fits. As you can see I had the HD bay big enough for two HDs in case I wanted to put another in the case later on, but that didn’t quite fit so I cut the top slot off.

[​IMG]

and here it is with the top on.

[​IMG]

The nest order of business was to build the cge to hold the PSU. I want to suspend the PSU from the top sinse there is no other place to put it. The constuction went well, not too many issues, but finding the right clips was a pain. Im thought i had some great ones and got the all connected all the holes drilled, but when i held it up to the inside to see how it looked i soon realized that one rivited in place it wouldn't be able to open...oops :wallbash: . So I had to take those off and put some different, not as pretty ones on, you can see the old ones in these pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was time for mounting, that was a pain. I did my best and hurt my fingures many times, but I got it in there. As you can see it looks somewhat crooked and try as i might to fix that, I can't, but I have confidence that it won't show too much in the final project. And you can see the new clip in these pics.

[​IMG]

Note: the red twist ties are only temporary

[​IMG]

Well, thats all for now, i might get some more up tomorrow, we'll see

20. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

thats badass man.. keep it up. :thumb: