1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Quark

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by buchans, 23 Aug 2004.

1. buchans

buchans What's a Dremel?

Started moding the case...

1st problem - the MB tray was non-standard PCI slots in the wrong place, and much larger than a standard one :sigh:

[​IMG]

nasty hole left after mounting a standard sized MB tray..

[​IMG]

After removing the old tray I added a nice plexi-mirror backplate to tidy the inside prior to mounting the new MB tray & added a plexi backplate (still have to cut access holes in both but I think they look OK)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2nd Problem - no 3.5 drive mountings, started with the old housing for the hotswapable SCSI drives, cut them down to size and chrome polished. Some cosmetic stuff still to be done.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

right now my biggest dilema is should I paint black or chrome polish the interior of the case?

2. stoned penguin

stoned penguin What's a Dremel?

black chrome :thumb:

3. Blood

Blood What's a Dremel?

Lookin good :)
    Should be well cool to see how this progresses,
    Go with gloss black , with mirrors around it so its well shiny !

4. Poppa_joe

Poppa_joe What's a Dremel?

What did you do with the SCSI hot swap electronics after you took them out of the system? I really could use them for a project that I am working on. Also if you still have them and they are not broken could you post some more detailed pictures of them please? Thank you very much.
    Joseph

5. buchans

buchans What's a Dremel?

- sorry I couldnt think of a use for them so they got scraped.

As for the case interior... its looking like gloss black with mirror back, front, bottom and top... ordering more mirror plexi today :dremel:

I also need some advice about those large cages on the left at the back of the box, one will house the PSU & WC Pump, but there is way to much space.. should I just dremel the top one out? there is a door for it to allow for access. Want to sort it out now before I start cutting the back plexi :confused:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 3 Sep 2004
  6. buchans

buchans What's a Dremel?

Just a little update, I have completed the planning for the case mods. After cutting the window my dremel blew up (flash and big boom) - its now stuck on full speed - so I guess perfect time to shift focus onto the hardware. By Friday I will have everything I need (MB, CPU, RAM & complete WC setup)

[​IMG]
    Cut the plexi (not very well I might add! :waah: first real attempt, still have some finishing too do)

[​IMG]
    I now have a window (cut a way better :D with the help of some heavy duty cut of discs) started to sand down the outer case for the painting
    [​IMG]
    CPU block a Danger Den RBX AMD (Brass Top)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Hydor Seltz L20 Pump and WaterChill Chipset Cooler

7. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

HOLY SCHNIKES!! i count at least 4 ATX connectors on that PSU :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: now thats got some juice :naughty: i wana see where this goes, Il be back...

8. bootupbuddha

bootupbuddha grunge modder

Dude that sucks! I am working on a mod on just that same case. I had hope to be the frist one.... Damn.

Okay, you won. Good luck. I'll be a long time before I can post anything. By the way I have five of these cases and those pu's are expensive.

p.s. I am subscribing, need to keep an eye on you... :D

Last edited: 13 Sep 2004
  9. Dmc

Dmc Minimodder

Quick observation, the Danger den block is 1/2" ID ( or is it the other way round :wallbash: ) and the chipset block is for use with 1/2" outer diameter tubing and not 1/2" ID tubing.
    Either way you have two different size tubing of is this something your going to address :D

10. buchans

buchans What's a Dremel?

Well spotted... I'm changing the barbs on the chipset & gpu block to 1/2" ID - I also have some 3/8" tubing that runs to my rad.

and bootupbuddha - sorry m8 sure you can learn from my mistakes with the case tho

Just got the rest of the WC stuff, the MB, CPU and RAM @ work just now...fun weekend :D

Last edited: 10 Sep 2004
  11. buchans

buchans What's a Dremel?

Hardware update... all of the parts I need for the WC arrived along with the MB, CPU and RAM on friday.... fun weekend spent mostly stopping leaks...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Dual Row WACC H/P Rad (120mm) & Hydor pump with its plastic barbs replaced with brass ones. Had to use a gluegun to seal the pump properly - it was really originally very unsecure

[​IMG]
    PcChips M848ALU good value but disapointingly small for this rig

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Waterchill NB (before/after) and GPU blocks with the new brass barbs (replaced those standard 1/2" push locks with 1/2" ID brass barbs)

[​IMG]
    AMD Sempron 2300+ processor (256/333)

[​IMG]
    the MB mounted .... looks tiny already :(

[​IMG]
    installed for the first time after 12 hours of leak testing... a bit scary the running for the first while :eeek: didn't have any real problems during installtion, the CPU block did need additional crush protectors.

[​IMG]
    you can see how dwarfed the MB have to sort that out. Used mostly 1/2" ID Clearflex tubing and some 3/4" ID Tygon tubing (to and from the rad)

I have to say I found the Clearflex much less flexible than the smaller guage Tygon. The Tygon also provides much more of a assuring snug fit over the 1/2" barbs - so planning on replacing all the tubing with 3/4" Tygon - something you can't see is my nasty ghetto res... waiting for the wacc 500mm or 1000mm res to become available again.

[​IMG]
    current rad and pump mountings - as I want this rig to be a silent as possible I my go with passive solution

I think its finally taking shape :D

12. bootupbuddha

bootupbuddha grunge modder

From post 25, it sounds like you are not going to use the power units that came with the case. Or are you going to use one and not the other? I don't plan on using mine and will be removing them. Basically for me the entire left side will be empty with only optical drives to fill it, I then had to come up with a gimmick to use up the space, maybe you can do the same? (create a gimmick i mean) Sorry I cant tell you what I am doing since it has become the reason for the theme of my case.

Some idea's for filling the space: dsl router, switch, firewall, emergency locator beacon... err never mind the last one.

The main board sure looks lonely in there, you know there is room for two, hint, hint.

The mirror finish on the inside looks great. I plan on powder coating the inside of mine black, that may be an idea for you as well (though I may change my mind on that one). Good luck! looking forward to your updates.....

13. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

That is some friggin huuuuge tubing. And yes the mobo does look tiny

14. ColD_FusSioN

ColD_FusSioN What's a Dremel?

Good Case

That's a really nice case, you could do a lot with that extra space... perhaps some Matrix LCD, some "visual" electronics like displays status LEDS, electronics controls, etc...

Nice work so far :thumb:

15. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

yay
    another big arse case :D
    *subscribed* :D:D:D:D

16. buchans

buchans What's a Dremel?

I've given the PSU a lot of thot - I really want to reuse it but its very non-standard it seems like too much work (rather spend the time on a nice WC PSU :D )

Right now I'm planning on integrating :dremel: usb hub, aDSL wi-fi router/firewall/network hub and finally.... the dimensions are very tight but if all goes well onboard APC UPS. (its the exact same dimensions as the old PSU but 2x the length) I'm planning on mounting the control/status planel where the optical drives should be along with a Matrix or PSOne LCD.

[​IMG]

If I can get it to work the front panel will also have independant HD activity LEDs as there will be 6 drives this won't be easy :confused:

as for 2 boards - interesting very interesting have to keep that one in mind :dremel:

anyway thanks for the feedback!

17. CYRiX

CYRiX What's a Dremel?

nice, I got my eyes on this :eeek:

18. buchans

buchans What's a Dremel?

Quick update... a little more work on the case and solved the independant drive activity and power LEDs for drives :dremel:

[​IMG]
    sanded down both doors, they will be painted black but I kinda like them with the alu finish... I might just end up giving them a chrome polishing and clear lacker finish

[​IMG]
    I found some old HD removable bay units - old and VERY ugly but....

[​IMG]
    ..they have integrated LEDs for power and activity, and yes I have enough for all 6 drives :D

[​IMG]
    final solution, the LEDs will be mounted on the front panel and the back plate will be mounted on the HD rack in the case :dremel:

[​IMG]
    The additional IDE controller - Promise ULTRA its only ATA-100 but it will do for a server.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2004
  19. Protius-X

Protius-X What's a Dremel?

I'm liking this. I wanna see a real wicked paint job on it or else! :grr: Mod on! :dremel:

20. koola

koola Minimodder

Looking good so far!

I love big fat file servers :D :dremel: