1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Qube³

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by stuartpb, 27 Mar 2009.

1. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Thanks, I did try it with the screen recessed behind the acrylic so the silver bezel wasn't showing, but I prefer the screen being flush with the acrylic and the sliver ties in with the silver thumbscrews and power/reset switches I think.I am going to fill the gap around the screen with some white sealant though.

2. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

CPU Loop - DONE!

Anyways, on with the project. I got my ordered bits and bobs today and set about installing the CPU loop. It took me an hour or so, and I am pretty pleased with it.

The first job was to think about how I was going to mount the pump. I wanted it to be visible from the outside of the case, and hit upon an idea. I had two HDD brackets left that came with the case, which allows you to fix the HDD's to a 120mm fan. So I decided to use one of these and fix it sideways to the PA120.3 rad. I would then stick the pump onto the bracket, using the sticky foam pad that came with the pump:
    [​IMG]

Here's the CPU waterblock I am using, the EK Supreme:
    [​IMG]

And the pump, which is a Swiftech MCP 350 (AKA Laing DDC Pro 10w). I have modded the pump so that it has the same performance of a DDC Ultra. I have also braided the cables for a neat finish.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was to fit the waterblock onto the CPU/mobo. I used Arctic Silver 5 for the thermal paste. As the U2-UFO has a removeable mobo tray, it did make life easier.
    [​IMG]

With the temporary GPU fitted (ATi 4850)

[​IMG]

Then I had to refit the mobo tray, which is as easy as tightening 5 thumbscrews. I also fitted the pump/res at this stage too.
    [​IMG]

Next up was to cut the tubing to length and fit it.
    [​IMG]

Once I was happy with the tube placement, I used the worm clips to secure the tubes, and filled the loop up. It took some time to remove the air bubbles and a foam was created when the dye and corrosion inhibitor was added, but this will settle soon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't think it looks too shabby. I have installed 2x UV CCFL's, one along the top and one along the bottom edge on the left side of the case. I will do the same on the right side when I do the GFX loop. The effect doesn't look very good in the picture below, as it was still light and my camera was struggling to get a decent pic (well me:D). I will try and get some more done later tonight to see if I can capture the effect better.
    [​IMG]

The CPU temps have shown a decent decrease under water, and I would expect a few more degrees once the Arctic Silver 5 has bedded in (200hrs).
    [​IMG]

So that's the CPU loop done and dusted. The pump works a treat when modded, and saved me a few quid too. I like the effect of the UV lights, and didn't want the case interior to be glowing massively. I just wanted the tubes to be shining and visible through the white mesh.

Last edited: 22 Jun 2009
  3. DeltaFX

DeltaFX What's a Dremel?

Nice loop. You placed the 4 springs between mobo and the cpu waterblock ? That's curious, in't it ? Aren't they supposed to push the waterblock against the cpu ?

4. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Aww fook!!! That was me rushing to get it done!! Thanks for the heads up there, I will put that right now:blush:

EDIT: Now done, there must have been good contact between the heatspreader and the base of the waterblock as the temps are the same with the springs in the right place.

Last edited: 22 Jun 2009
  5. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

The loop looks pretty good, very neat, not a fan of the coolant colour but if it works, it works ;).

6. Gunter

Gunter What's a Dremel?

This is strange, what thermal paste are you using, did you change your thermal paste after you changed the pins? Mayb is that your problem, but still nice temps, I personally just leave like that.

7. The boy 4rm oz

8. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

I did reapply the thermal paste when I swapped the springs around. With Arctic Silver 5, it has a 200 hr curing time, after which temps can drop from 2 to 5 degrees c.

Time for a recap on the project and to list the jobs left to do now. First here's some pics of the case as it is at the moment (please bear in mindd the project is still ongoing).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So here's whats left to do now:

1. Get a new GPU (or wait for possible RMA on GTX280)
    2. Buy hardware for 2nd watercooling loop (GPU loop). Need waterblock, pump and pump top/res. Also need 1x Thermochill PA120.2 and 2x 120mm fans.
    3. Sort cables out, still some more braiding left to do and need to start tidying cables.
    4. Still waiting for PSone screen car adaptor, needs modding.
    5. LCD/circuit board and IO boards need sorting too, going to box them in somehow.
    6. Change the wormclips on the CPU loop for something more visually pleasing, maybe compression fittings.
    7. Paint DVD external casing white.
    So there's not alot left to do now, the whole build has taken longer than expected but I have been grabbing spare time as and when I could to get work done on it. I am really looking forward to getting this build done and the next one underway.

9. Gunter

Gunter What's a Dremel?

Great Job, dude.
    Nice painting.

10. Carpet3

Carpet3 Minimodder

Love that paint job :)

11. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

.... No union jack?

J/K, liking it though, keep up zee goodness

12. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Thanks guys:thumb:

As for the Union Flag, there may be an appearance on my next project which is being planned out now. Think Austin Powers, and that will give you a clue as to the direction the next project is headed:D

13. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

looks good i like the coolant colour actually fits!!!

14. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Another day, another job finished. I got the LCD car power adaptor this morning, and have finished modding it. It works a treat, and looks much tidier now that I don't have to trail the external mains adaptor lead into the case.

Here's the car adaptor (unmodded):
    [​IMG]

Stripped down:
    [​IMG]

Soldered a male molex connector to the board. Excuse my soldering, it's never been my strongest point, but it works. My poor old desk is getting some hammer too. Nice excuse for a new one soon:)
    [​IMG]

Mod done, Basically I have shortened the cable from the plug to the adaptor, removed another cable (which would have powered the PSOne), soldered on a molex and trimmed the casing down. It was very straight-forward and only took 20 minutes.
    [​IMG]

Here's the rear of the LCD, with the various IO parts and the adaptor plugged in to a PSU's molex. The screen is working fine, and I am surprised it went so easily.
    [​IMG]

Next up for the LCD is to tidy up the rear somehow.

Last edited: 24 Jun 2009
  15. The boy 4rm oz

Nice work on the adapter.

16. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

/\ ditto

17. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

Holy **** this is a real nice build, certainly more adventurous than my own U2-UFO build (see sig).

So, what happened to this, was it ever finished?