1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Project Reactor Planning: Case and Hardware

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Fused, 16 Feb 2008.

1. Fused

Fused Minimodder

Hey all,

As the easter hols are approaching Im coming up on my first opportunity to begin my first mod. Still the ideas are just floating round my head mainly because I dont have a case yet!

The idea for the project is a reactor themed PC. Im moving away from the nuclear reactor which I'm sure ive seen done in the past but to a small watercooled system which is set-up to look like some futuristic reactor. Thus the colour scheme will either be black (main colour), yellow + orange acrylic/parts or orange + blue acrylic/parts. I decided that I would like the system to be fairly portable for the odd LANs I go to.

I have an old i-cute midi gaming case but its is a bit big/heavy and the front is made of plastic which for a first time modder doesnt sound particularly appetizing. I don't need a small case (such as a shuttle size) nor do I want to work in such a small space. I just need something smaller than midi size but big enough for a small watercooling loop (cpu) and probably one of the larger graphic cards.

Of course I have very little money (uni student) so Ive been scouring ebay looking for a good case cheap but no luck so far. (Lost out to a lian li case because in the final moments of the auction I was on the phone to my girlfriend and got distracted). Anyway what cases do you guys recommend I look out for?

My other main question for now is what hardware: I want a decent gaming system that could do DX10 (should I install vista) and run modern games. Of course I still have no money so back to ebay and secondhand scouring. (And I don't want to scrap my main rig which you guys are probably now reading in my sig). What are the decent budget options I should look out for on ebay?

Any help is appreciated guys,
    Thanks for taking the time
    -Fused