1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Red HL2 [UPDATED DEC 24 - 100% COMPLETE]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by MrWillyWonka, 5 Aug 2005.

1. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

It isn't a normal connector for the fan, its actually a 100mm fan.

Anyway, I've sold it and decided to get this . Currently there is only one place in the UK selling it, not entirely cheap, but I'm getting it!

There is also a matching GPU cooler to go with it which I probably will get!

2. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

dastt what is your PSone screen displaying here? it looks like a good program or whatever it is. can you tell me where to get it?

3. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It is. It is wonderfully flexible and you can make your own config for it, displaying pretty much what you like, how you like. Here's mine for instance:

[​IMG]

5. MrWillyWonka

Now I've finished the front and I am impressed with it! It was a bit of a nightmare trying to get all the wires in, and in the process I've seem to have stopped the front fan LEDs from working, but as the HDDs go into the removable HDD tray, which requires the lower front panel to be removed, I will fix this when its removed. :)

Piccys:

[​IMG]
    The front nearly finished

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The USB/Audio ports

[​IMG]
    On/Off button

[​IMG]#
    A lot of wires, 55 of them in fact!

[​IMG]
    The old On/Off switch

[​IMG]
    To this!

[​IMG]
    Panel in

[​IMG]
    As you can see, there is a lot of wire to put in as well as the LCD adaptor

[​IMG]
    And I think it looks cool (forgot to put in the buttons for the DVD/RW though :wallbash: - will do tomorrow!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you think so far?

As for the caseskin, the guy at PolyGFX has promised the site will be back up by the end of the week, currently they are having problems reloacting to another server. Thats nearly 2 months the site has been down now!

So what do you think so far?

6. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Nice, just a shame the temp monitor thing isnt the same black :(

7. MrWillyWonka

Oh yea, I forgot to mention that I'm getting some plastic polish which will polish non-polished plastic. B&Q unfortunatly ran out of them, so I will have to get some in Sheffield (uni).

8. MrMan

MrMan What's a Dremel?

Wow, Goes and buys a psone screen :thumb:

9. crazybee

crazybee Black & Yellow

nicely done, I read though your project log and glad I did as I found your link to where you got your plastic sheets :)

Also putting in PSONE screen like you as well only thing is I cant find good way to mount the thing, dont worry I will :p

btw how did you find cutting your sheets anyways? I'm trying to find a good way to do it without a dremel, but my cuts always come out really crap.

good job :) :rock:

10. MrWillyWonka

There won't be any updates for a while due to limited funding - uni :S and the fact that I have limited tools here and that the case skin site still isn't up, should be by the end of the week.

As for the cutting, using a jigsaw is really easy, let the blade guide how fast you need to cut! Draw the line you need to cut but move that line by 1mm and cut besides the line rather than on the line, gives a much straight cut. You might be surprised that going faster gives a neater cut as you don't wobble about so much. After that file down the plexi, then sand it down using 600g, 300g then 150g then polish it and you're done (I'm sure I've explained this earlier!)

11. MrWillyWonka

So, FINALLY I have just ordered my case skin, its been heck of a long time and PolyGFX is STILL offline! So I've ordered from frozen CPU instead. The guy isn't exactly very helpful, I can't have my billing address in a different state from my delivery address, so I simply said the state is "England", which it techincally is a state in Great Britain!

Got my 36GB raptor and 2x 4" red CCFLs too, so hopefully it'll be complete soon, and I can put my hardware in it!

12. MrWillyWonka

Minor update

So, after realising that my case colour theme is red and black, I have blue modular connectors for the PSU...

[​IMG]
    The original colour (I used red electrical tape to cover the heatshrink)

[​IMG]
    Some spray paint later

[​IMG]
    The work area

[​IMG]
    Hanging them up to dry

[​IMG]
    Ran out of shelves to hang them, so used the light instead :)

At first I bought a flurocent orange can of spray paint, it wasn't until later that I realised it is completely the wrong colour. Went back to B&Q and the bitch refused to change the can, so bought a red one.

So if anyone wants to buy the orange can off me, £3.50 inc postage.

* Remember you can still post replies in this thread, this is still in the old system!

13. lbreevesii

lbreevesii What's a Dremel?

lookin cool man. keep it up. i'm gonna be following.

14. blue_lawnchair

blue_lawnchair What's a Dremel?

I still love the look of the PS1 screen, it just seems like the perfect screen for a computer.

15. Payne280

Payne280 What's a Dremel?

looks nice i'll have to get a psone screen sometime

16. MrWillyWonka

After months, and months, and months... that's SIX MONTHS of waiting, the caseskin has finally been shipped today, it **SHOULD** arrive next week, and finally, I'll be able to start putting in hardware etc... finally! More updates soon I guess, you can check out my project log on my website here. This thread will still be updated though!

Oh yea, I'm still looking for a 74Gigger WD Raptor, if anyone has one for sale, please PM me.

17. MrWillyWonka

F-I-N-A-L-L-Y IT HAS ARRIVED FROM THE GOOD OL US OF A...

So, after literally months and months of waiting, the caseskin has finally arrived, and it is a lot better than I thought it would be, it is beautiful. The texture is so smooth, it looks as if it has a protective covering to stop scratches. I love it so much, right now it's under some books to flatten the image out after being rolled up into a tube.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, I have to face the import tax :waah:

More pics:
    [​IMG]
    Previously I had normal feet, made it really hard to move the case around, so...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some new wheels!

[​IMG]
    A bit taller now!

[​IMG]
    This is the crossflow fan, unfortunatly the first one I recieved was faulty, so I had to return it. I got a working one in the end.

[​IMG]
    The Zalman Fatal1ty, it's huge, but nice.

[​IMG]
    Ah, 2x1GB Ballistix :rock:

More photos with the caseskin on, tonight hopefully.

18. MrWillyWonka

More piccies now:

[​IMG]
    The top caseskin put on, a fairly simple job

[​IMG]
    Oops, my hand slipped...

[​IMG]
    All three holes nicely done

[​IMG]
    With the fans put on

[​IMG]
    Drilled a hole through the 4mm thick metal and wired a cold cathode under the case to give it a nice glow.

[​IMG]
    The left side panel done

Now I need to do the right side panel with the window, this is going to be very tricky and I still haven't quite worked out how I'm going to do it. :S I have worked out that the value of this case, minus the mobo, cpu, gpu and RAM stands at £600 :jawdrop:

And a note to anyone who has a coolermaster stacker, be VERY careful with the side panel edges, they are super sharp and I cut myself bad, twice in less than five minutes.

19. MikeK

MikeK What's a Dremel?

It´s a lot of money but it´s a really great looking case you got there!

5*:thumb:

20. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

Looking good MrWillyWonka!

Ive got a Stacker on my desk thats in need of some modding soon, although mine wont be red :).

Nice case! Keepup the good work :thumb:.