1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project RetroTape Deck - Finished (4/6/05)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by sicone, 23 Oct 2004.

1. sicone

sicone What's a Dremel?

This is my first post here, so hello all. This is also my first attempt at anything more advanced that cutting a hole in my case for an extra fan!

I came across this site and reading through some of the project logs got me inspired to try it myself.
    Warning, crap pics (only had camera on phone available)
    A friend of mine pointed out this:
    [​IMG]
    and an idea was formed.
    The idea is to remove the tape deck and put a dvd drive and lcd display there (the tape deck is about 2mm wider than a dvd drive :) ), use the VU meters to display drive activity and the audio input/output dials for the contrast/brightness controls of the lcd.
    [​IMG]
    Might try to adapt those speaker/mic jacks to work with the sound card.

Opening it up revealed:
    [​IMG]
    :jawdrop: So much wiring! It took nearly 2 hrs to rip everything out!

Trial fit of the components:
    [​IMG]
    The bit which is circled is the PSU. It wouldn't fit with the casing on, so off it came (might have to make an enclosure for it, but that can wait).

Now I knew where everything was going to go I decided to cut out a section of the case to fit the motherboard blanking plate
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's it for now, hopefully more tomorrow when/if I manage to go out and buy some drill bits.

Last edited: 4 Jun 2005
  2. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

That's gonna be a really cool retro mod! :thumb: Had an idea myself. How about stealthing the drives behind the deck so it matches in. Then you can relabel the press switches to be eject buttons and have the entire deck move down to enable access. Not sure how that'd work but it would sure look cool :D

3. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

gah, scotty copped my idea. It's a great idea, and make sure to be able to use RCA out on it. Plus, turn the dials up front into either fan speed controllers or volume controls. Next off, keep the power button and that, and make the power light an LED. Along with that, have the dvd drive ejecting to push the tape down, and so when it retracts it's invisible. Other than that, great ideas, but blurry pix :(

4. sicone

sicone What's a Dremel?

Minor update (pictures will be added tonight if I can get my digi cam working :( ).

I managed to convert the power button into a momentary switch and wired it up to be the power switch for the motherboard, wired up the 2 leds between the VU meters to act as the power and HDD LED's.

I was thinking about stealthing the DVD drive behind the tape deck. The bottom half of the face plate of the tape deck is wider than the opening. The only way I could think of doing it and keep it looking like it's still a tape deck was to cut it in half and attach it to the DVD tray.

I also attached an external open/close switch to the dvd drive. This means that I can place it so that pressing the pause button of the tape deck will press the switch and open the drive :) .

That's it for now.

5. sicone

sicone What's a Dremel?

I spent this evening making the stealth plate for the dvd drive.
    This is the dvd drive with the new face plate attached:
    [​IMG]

and here it is in place:
    [​IMG]

It needs a bit of tidying up, but that can wait for now.

There are 3 toggle switches on the front panel of the stereo which I might use to switch the fans from 12v - 7v, but i'm open to other suggestions as to what to do with them.

6. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

WOW, never thought I would see another one of those, my dad has pretty much the same tape deck. What ya gonna do with the old internals? And nice looking mod, cant wait to see how it turns out :thumb: Those dials could pull double duty as there are things you can adjust look at the dial closely. So you could use one for fan control.

Last edited: 25 Oct 2004
  7. sicone

sicone What's a Dremel?

if the internals did work, they sure don't now :) . In all honest I have no plans for them. I still have them all and they may work (if you can rewire them all back up)

8. deadly-app

deadly-app What's a Dremel?

haha i started doing a radio mod a while back, but scrapped it due to space

9. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

Hey nice to see another Radio mod (check the sig), especially a sorta Retro radio mod. Good luck and keep working :thumb:

10. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

Nice idea, looks like you went to great lengths to stealth that DVD drive.
    Great start, good luck with this mod.

11. sicone

sicone What's a Dremel?

Had fun with a mallet today :D .

I needed to make a stand for the DVD drive so that it would sit at the correct height. The stand also had to be wide enough to hold the HDD sideways.

Since the PSU had it's case removed I decided to mod it :).

[​IMG]

Lacking the correct equipment to shape it I decided to improvise. I had an old CD drive and a dead HDD which happened to be exactly the correct height. Placing them inside the case I took to it with a mallet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here is a reminder as to why you should not use a working CD Drive:

[​IMG]

I somehow doubt the HDD would have survived the pounding (if it was working) either :D

Stuff left to do:
    Buy drill bits so I can drill all the necessary holes.
    I've decided to stick led's in the VU meters so I can use 1 or 2 of the toggle switches to turn them on/off.
    Use 1 or 2 of the 4 dials(thanks for pointing that out Sea Shadow, turns out they were incredibly stiff so it looked like there was only one dial on each) to adjust the fan speeds.
    Put together the circuitry needed to hook the HDD and DVD Drive to the 2 VU meters so they show their activity.

Last edited: 27 Oct 2004
  12. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

hmm weren't you supposed to hit the edges? not the middle of the cd player?

[​IMG]

but you know what they say.. you can't make an omelet without crushing some hens :D

I bet the frame works like a charm though :) :thumb:

13. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

I've got a really retro VCR circa 1992 :p . I'd like to mod it but don't think it's retro enough et. Might keep it in the loft for 10 years and get it out when nano-itx finally arrives :D It's got a really cool drop down cover that could stealth plugs and I'd make the DVD drive pop out properly from the tape insert (So it folds in). Time and money always work against me :sigh:

14. sicone

sicone What's a Dremel?

errr, yeah I got a bit carried away at one point :D

Fits like a charm:
    [​IMG]

15. BlindDave

BlindDave What's a Dremel?

LOL i've seen him shoot hes was aiming for the edge :p

Its looking good mate stick at it :clap:

16. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Interestsing... Keep modding.

17. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

You mentioned a remote eject but for the drive behind the pause button. If my memory serves correctly, wasn't the only "momentary" type button the eject button (all else had some type of catching mechanism behind). Wouldn't it then make more sense (and accurate) to mount a momentary switch behind the eject button?

Or am I just being obtuse and you are going to use the wiring already attached to the pause button? Does this mean to close the drive (without pushing) you have to "un-pause" then "pause" again?

Sorry to be difficult.

18. sicone

sicone What's a Dremel?

The tape deck did not have an eject button at all! All it had was a curved piece of perspex (just about visible in the first picture) covering the tape. You had to open the covering then just pull the tape out/push the tape on. I'm not keeping any of the original wiring for the buttons (due to having to cut most of the actual tape deck out to make the components fit and only keeping the face plate to make it look like it still works) and decided to place a momentary switch in such a position so that the pause button activates it when pressed. I chose the pause button as it doesn't lock in place.

I might post some pictures tonight to better explain the situation.

This usually happens due to my lack of proper explaining, so i'm used to it :)

19. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Sound's like you've got it spot on (the mod, not the comment about poor explanations). :) I like the idea of the ROM drive in the tape slot. Will it have the plastic cover or does it not fold down enough to let the tray eject?

No eject button? What a wierd design. *shakes head*

20. sicone

sicone What's a Dremel?

Not sure if anyone was following this thread, but my apologies for the huge delay in updating. Seems the motherboard I bought was DOA and it took ebuyer 2 months to test it and send me a new one (they even failed to notice that there was RAM in one of the slots which was also faulty)!

Anyway, now the motherboard and RAM are back, enough with the ranting and back to the modding.

I decided that the ATX wires were way too long, making it difficult to keep them tidy in such a cramped case.

[​IMG]

After labelling all the wires, cutting out about 40cms off each wire and 3hrs to solder them all back together...

[​IMG]

Decided to go with chrome braiding as it seemed most appropriate for the theme.

Tomorrow sees me off to Maplin to grab some resistors and capacitors so I can hook the VU meters to display the dvd/hdd activity.