1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Rogue 5 :>o<: Back from dead w/mess o' pics

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Bandit_zoraK, 17 Feb 2005.

1. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

2. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

I would use the motor style intake derived from the xwing. It looks very nice like that. Also when you get to do the interior add those sheilded hoses to give it a more industrial look.

Also any thought about incomporating a set of speakers and a small amp in the case to have the posibility to play music withought using main speakers.

Also For the bottom I would take out the main part of the feet of the case and your left with a cup like structure /----\ kinda like that and under there you have enough room to add two cathodes or one to give it a engine fire look.

Just a thought.

Gr8 case btw, I just wish newegg carried them still as I bought that very same case and now they dont stock them anymore. ah well.

3. Bandit_zoraK

Bandit_zoraK What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the ideas! I was definately considering incorporating a speaker or two for the r2-d2 sound effects, but the music too- that would be cool. I was also thinking about using some lighting for engine fx, either pink leds (x-wings in ANH have pink flares I think) or some red underneath.
    [​IMG]

With that black plexiglass, it says on there that the stuff is opaque- would it show through if it were to be illuminated? Thanks. One more thing, Jag- if you could, could you maybe point some speakers/amps that you had in mind? I am kind of a n00b when it comes to speakers and such. Double thanks.

4. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

What they mean by "does not tranmit light" is that you cant see through it, so it would just be like regular plexi painted black. I know its not that great of a description but its late and im tired. I just hope that helped.

5. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Very, Very nice so far. At first i thought something was wrong with you for that front box, but you've made it majorly work out! Keep going, it's damn nice.

6. jaguarking11

Well the amp im using on my case is the one incorporated on the ps1 lcd that I am using. The quality is good and the power is decent especialy for such small speakers. But if you want some omf with a decent price look at newegg for a 2chanel jbl speaker set. The jbl series are crisp and are sheilded for pc use. But they may cost a bit. So any decent computer speakers you like will be just enough for your case. You dont realy need a high quality set as it wont be the main sound source. You should wire a switch so they get bypased when you hook up the real sound system to your pc. In my case I hook up a 5.1 sorund sound 550w aiwa amp and matching speakers and sub.

Good luck and keep up the gr8 work. Oh btw gr8 finish on the case. What did you do to get such a flawless glossy look?

7. Bandit_zoraK

I will probably not spend too much money on the second speakers, I am thinking about a 2.0 set in the $15 range, enough for decent sound for the price. Thanks for the comments...for the finish, after I painted and made the scoring and detail stuff I used Krylon matte finish clear coat. It doesn't bubble up light the regular stuff and it dries very satin-y for an smooth look. It is perfect and I am so glad I found it.

Edit: Maybe these speakers

Edit 2: For the black plexi I am looking for the stuff like in coolmiester's banana case. Will the stuff from usplastics work like this? Where it is black, but with light you can see? Sorry if I am being redundant. (and I hope its ok that I used these pics from his log :thumb: )
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 23 May 2005
  8. jaguarking11

Those speakers look like they should be more than good enough for the project.

Also thanks for pointing out the krylon stuff. I been looking around for a clear coating and never found stuff that made me happy completly. Ill try the krylon stuff.

9. Bandit_zoraK

Glad to be of some help.

From these pictures I have a question: Does anybody have any ideas as to how I can have these buttons stay in place but be pushable enough to trigger the switches and return to their original positions? I have though of a few ways but a fresh perspective would help immensely. Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. jaguarking11

how about gluing some ruber bands behind the buttons.

11. luvbug

luvbug What's a Dremel?

How about the springs from several clickable ink pens? Maybe cut them in half...

Or, glue a long piece of something about the size of a toothpick to the end of the buttons. The buttons should have enough spring in them to push the plexi buttons you made back out.

luvbug

12. Bandit_zoraK

Holy crap why didn't I think of that?! Alright thanks guys I know what I will do now.

13. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

a soft spring is your best bet; especially if it forms some sort of click/clank when it goes in.

14. Bandit_zoraK

Yep- bought some springs will post some pics when I get it all put together.

15. arkadur

arkadur What's a Dremel?

you got Leds there?
    nice project :)

16. wolff000

wolff000 I am here to steal your secrets.

Very sweet mod I look forward to seeing the finished product.

17. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

The stuff from usplastics will not transmit light, so it would be like staring at a black, shiny wall that you can not see through. If you find out what stuff he used in his case, could you shoot me a pm, because im looking for this stuff to. I just found the stuff from usplasics in my travels. Hope this helps.

18. pc-modd.dk

pc-modd.dk What's a Dremel?

its getting better and better

19. Bandit_zoraK

First, thanks for the compliments, I appreciate it.

Ok, bit of a change of plans- the result for the buttons shown in these pics...what can I say, it looks like ass :sigh: . I am gonna keep with the plan but since the buttons are 1" square, I am just gonna buy a foot or two of this- it's pretty cheap and all the buttons will be the same size which is always good.

CRAP :miffed:
    [​IMG]
    CRAP II
    [​IMG]

tm36usa- I talked to coolmiester, he just used limo black tint, which is kind of dissapointing that it can't be bought like that, but I think it's worth a try to do.

20. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Before you go buying that plastic, i think i may have found the buttons that you wanted. I just was flipping through my electronic mag that just came today and I found some like you want. The only downsize is, they only have one led in them, but that nothing a little modding cant fix. Ok heres the url: http://www.elexp.com/cmp_pl6r.htm

I have used electronix express before and they are a good company. Everyone should have one of their catologs close by. Hope this helped you and thanks for the info on the window tint