1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Rogue 5 :>o<: Back from dead w/mess o' pics

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Bandit_zoraK, 17 Feb 2005.

1. Bandit_zoraK

Bandit_zoraK What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the link! I only have to hesitations with them- minimum $20 order, which probably isn't too much of a big deal seeing as how I've yet to order any of the other components I need, and 2: no physical dimensions that I can find, I emailed them so we will see on that front. I will hold off ordering anything until I hear back from them.

2. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I bet you could make those buttons for a lot less than you have to pay for them. Actually, I take that back, I doubt if it would be cheaper. Unless you had a good idea on how to make them cost-effectively.

3. BBurger

BBurger What's a Dremel?

When you do find the dimensions of those buttons, please be sure & post them! They look like what I've been looking for for the switch panel on the front of my case...

4. Bandit_zoraK

Well say about 4 bux for a foot ok that square stuff and about 5 for bipolar leds and flip-flops and the way I was doing it will work, I just think it looks like crap that is why I want to start it over.
    Edit: 200th post :cooldude:

5. Bandit_zoraK

BBurger- Got an email back from the guy- here is the specs he sent me. Unforetuately they are only about 1/2" square (12mm) otherwise they would've been perfect :(
    [​IMG]

6. QuinnDexter

QuinnDexter What's a Dremel?

7. pc-modd.dk

pc-modd.dk What's a Dremel?

more pictures --- i need a fix --- come on mann -- just one :)

8. BBurger

BBurger What's a Dremel?

Bandit_zoraK, thanks for the info. Did your contact say whether the switches are momentary or fixed?

If they're too small, how about just gluing your existing plexi square to the front of the buttons?

Also, check that plastics supply page again - I think the minimum length was 6 feet - that makes the 1 inch square acrylic rod a pretty pricey option!

9. Bandit_zoraK

Pretty sure they are NO (momentary). Thanks for pointing that out about the 6' minimum. I found pretty much at delvie's plastics which is sold by the foot, so I am gonna order from him I think because I still need to make new buttons. As for gluing- I might look on mouser for some buttons similar cause I have already been making a list of things to buy with them.

10. blananar

blananar What's a Dremel?

Oh man that rawks!!! I am a severe Star Wars fan myself, and I love the stuff like that. That makes me want to make my own star wars PC. I'll make a server out of it. A games server. Anyways, props to your mad skills, and thanks for the rockin idea for my VolcanoPC. And, may the force be with you.

11. Bandit_zoraK

How goes the r2 thing?

Anyways, after the search for some black semi-opaque arcrylic I decided to use window tint like coolmiester did on his black wavemaster case. After one redo here are the results for the main side panel:

Main shot of the window/panel, notice little to none light transmittance but a lot of reflection :thumb:
    [​IMG]

Basically the same picture
    [​IMG]

Nice opaque reflective goodness...
    [​IMG]

Or semi-transparent? This is a neat shot, you got the reflection from the window itself, then the reflection from the mirror in the background showing the back of the panel:
    [​IMG]

The black really makes the 'Rogue 5' stand out much nicer than a plain clear window would have.
    [​IMG]

Parting shot:
    [​IMG]

There is one major bad thing with this black window business: I have cats. As soon as I take this panel out of the closed bathroom, the window will attract hair like a vacuum :wallbash: . It doesn't help that the lucite stuff I used has a charge on it, and thanks to Jabba the Cat and his brother, it's gonna be tough to keep it clean. Oh well.

Jabba (Vlad) the Cat
    [​IMG]

12. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Nice tinting, it has a great effect. Keep it up :rock:

13. Bandit_zoraK

Thanks. I was a bit busy reading all the overwhelming feedback, but I managed to find some time to tint the other window :hehe:. Seriously though, feedback is nice, but whatever.

I've boiled it down to a 9 step process accompanied by pictures, so without further ado..

Step 1: Get this stuff, with the exception of the bowl, although useful for holding screws and such :thumb: :
    [​IMG]

Step 2: Obtain a piece of acrylic for window, preferably cut and drilled:
    [​IMG]

Step 3: Cut a piece of the stuff to about the right size, scissors are useful maybe.
    [​IMG]

Step 4: Wet both window and tint with soap/water soln. and grab the squeege, btw, walmart makes the worst squeege ever!
    [​IMG]

Step 5: Squeege out all the air bubbles
    [​IMG]

Step 6: Wait a few hours
    [​IMG]

Step 7: Trim excess
    [​IMG]

Step 8: Secure to case panel
    [​IMG]

Step 9: Enjoy :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all for now. Expect more work to be done this week :worried: .

14. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Nice tint. Looks awsome. Btw what kind of tint did you get? The regular autozone stuff? Or something geared more towards plexi?

15. Bandit_zoraK

I don't know the exact brand in that pic, but it is just the standard 2'x6' roll limo black 5% I picked up at walmart for about 12 bucks. It was in the auto section, and it is kind of thick, like 1-2 mm, almost like vinyl or a couple of layers of painter's plastic, if that makes any sense.

16. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Makes perfect sense. The thicker the tint the better as its more durable.

17. Bandit_zoraK

Fan controller fab part 1

I got some work in today on what I will be using for controlling fans I guess, maybe something else, who knows. For this controller however, I think I am doing something which I have not seen before in a mod...using slider pots instead of regular ones...although in retrospect, I see why the turn pots are used as they take up much less space, but foretunately, I will be using only one optical drive (or 2 slimline?) for this case so I can afford the space.

Started out with some scrap from the big window and cut it to the size of 2 5.25 bay covers:

(Edit: This symbol I am considering for the front, a few of them.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (clearly 4 pictures are needed to illustrate this :worried: )

Shot of plate with the pots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marked up where to nibble:
    [​IMG]

The fun process of nibbling/filing the slots begins.
    1 down:
    [​IMG]

This should work
    [​IMG]

2 down:
    [​IMG]

3 out of 4:
    [​IMG]

final one:
    [​IMG]

Cleaned off:
    [​IMG]

Using the aluminum tube for some spacers and some trimmed metric screws as seen above (I bought too long) the mounting process was completed:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided against using the 2 bay covers and just made some brackets out of sheet Al.
    [​IMG]

Brackets mounted with the bolts I have been using throughout the project.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The knobs for these are kind of cheesy feeling, so if any comes across some metal knobs, 1/4" slot, don't hesitate to share. Also, I might paint this thing a little bit, but it would be as a piece of the whole front, I haven't really decided what to do with that paint-wise. Labels at the very least, don't know what, surely something star warsy though :naughty:

18. Bandit_zoraK

Also, I decided to get some of these (1" ^3) unpolished cubes for the button panel I have been working on.
    More to come

19. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Woah I've never seen kind of that pots used in fancontroller! innovative!

And bad news: I still think you should've fillen those holes on sidepanel.

20. Wesker

Wesker What's a Dremel?

I love the fact you're using sliders!