1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Rogue (NZXT Rogue SFF) It lives! Aug 13, '08

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by craigbru, 28 Feb 2008.

1. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

How could I forget pics of that? You'll get plenty!

From what I've seen, the GTX 280 should fit. It's about the same length as an 8800 GTX.

Thanks man! It's much appreciated!

2. craigbru

So, is it running? Not quite, but I've only got about 15 minutes of work until I can add coolant. I was up until about 2 AM last night, and decided to stop for myself... and the Rogue's safety. I was just too tired to continue. No worries though. I'll be off work a little early today to work on it!

Well, how about a few pictures then? Here is the inline temperature sensor...

[​IMG]

I revised the tubing layout slightly...

[​IMG]

Almost ready to drop the tray in...

[​IMG]

Video cards in place...

[​IMG]

Testing Paladin (the Via system)...

[​IMG]

The tray is in place!

[​IMG]

From here, I've got to route two more tubes, and I can add coolant. Expect updates tonight!

3. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

Holy crap!! It is truly amazing seeing all that stuff in there!!! o_O
    An a-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-l-y fantastic amount of planning must have gone into this case! I am truly impressed!! (I don't get really impressed very easily)

4. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Very nice work. I was amazed when you fit the ATX board in there, then the VIA system, and the water cooling. This is truly an awesome mod. I hope the filling of the system does well.

5. Elio

Elio What's a Dremel?

like i always said...that is unbelievable!!!
    this is the greatest puzzle i've seen!!!
    and it all fits perfectly!
    wonder if you'll have a part left out in the end?(like all puzzles do...one tiny one)
    the plumbing is tight in there...amazing how you manage to make it the mary poppins bag...never ending space...:p

6. craigbru

Thank you! I may have spent all most as much time planning, as I have modding! Well, maybe not, but I'm always thinking of improvements or things to add. If you'll go back, and reread my first post, you can see where I was headed when I started (I haven't edited it). At that time, the Pico-ITX system and TEC cooling weren't even part of the plan. Those ideas came later... :idea:

Thanks! You'll see the results soon enough!

I sure hope I haven't forgotten anything... that's my biggest fear. I've spent a lot of time just staring in to the case and mapping out cable and hose routes. Also, things need to be placed in the case, in a specific order, for things to fit. There are so many variables here. There's always a chance that something came unplugged under the motherboard tray during assembly, or maybe the CPU has too much (or not enough dielectric grease), or isn't insulated enough. For all I know, maybe I won't be able to get enough air through the radiators to cool the TEC. I could literally drive myself crazy with all the 'what-ifs'. I'm so anxious to get home and find out!

7. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

Wow Craig. This really puts the whole project into perspective quite nicely. I love how nonchalantly you put it: "From here, I've got to route two more tubes, and I can add coolant." I'd be lucky to fit one finger inside that case it's so cramped! As I said before...you're a master of fabrication. I CAN'T WAIT to see this thing all prettied up and finished for a photo shoot :thumb:

8. nikeunltd

nikeunltd Epic destruction around machinary

wow...
    dam i didnt realized how crampped it was!
    you should really get an award for this project. no joke.
    fabulous in every step. bravo criag!! brilliant

9. craigbru

Complications suck... What kind of complications you ask? Well, water pumps are not supposed to smoke... not sure why it did, but it's a goner. So, I just spent half an hour trying to find someplace that could overnight me a new one. Found one at Sharka, we'll see if they can come through for me. This blows. :wallbash:

10. Matticus

Matticus ...

Smoke? Insane. Hopefully that gets sorted asap, for selfish reasons really, I just want to see it all up and running :p

I simply cannot believe that you have managed to get that all in the case, that requires some serious forward planning and visualisation skills, I really don't think I could manage it. I will stick to midi + cases to play it safe ;)

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Ahhh... I had always assumed that you were waterooling the GTX's aswell...

Looks fab!

12. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

Ugh...that sucks Craig. And just when you were on a roll too. That always seems to be the case though eh? Just when you get a good flow going on a project (of any kind) here comes the monkey wrench outta left field. Hopefully Sharka comes through for you man, best of luck!

13. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Best of luck with the replacement. Letting out the magic smoke ALWAYS sucks. :wallbash: So close. We're watching
    John

14. craigbru

No time for a decent post, but I got tracking info from Sharka! Woohoo! Nothing like running right down to the wire! Back to modding...

15. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I believe they are 10.5" in length, which is about the same as the 8800GTX.

16. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

Man too bad about the pump! it will be a bum to get the stuff out? and if it leaked (which im sure it wont) would be disastrous!

17. icutebluezone

icutebluezone The meaning of life is to MOD

WHAAAA nice screen in the case. :) I just got this case its very nice. :)

18. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Ok cool E.E.L

Sucks about the pump mate. I hoe you get the new one on time.

19. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Aw, damn Craig! That blows! A DDC smoking? Wow, that's a first! I've had one leak on me, but that was an early one and for the record I took it apart and messed with it. :D I'm sure you didn't run it dry.....right? ;)

20. craigbru

Believe me, there have been more than a few times I've thought I was truly insane, and dreamed of putting all this gear in a nice big Lian Li...

Damn, now that would be crazy!

Yeah, it's like hitting a brick wall head on. The tracking info shows that the pump is out for delivery! Nothing like spending $48 to ship a $75 pump... :eyebrow:

Once it's out, it's over. Further testing only resulted in more smoke.

Luckily the pump is mounted where it's fairly easy to access. Shouldn't be too bad at all. Leaking would be messy, that's for sure...

Thanks man! I do love the screen. The quality is outstanding. So, are you going to mod your case? :D

Should be okay. It's out for delivery now!

Yep, it was a pretty white smoke. A little early 4th of July celebration I suppose. She wasn't dry, I was just starting to fill the loop. I guess I'll have to hope I've got no problems, as I have to pack up for the LAN tonight...

Tags: