1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Rolltop

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cyric, 26 Jul 2004.

1. Cyric

Cyric What's a Dremel?

Introduction:

First things first...Hello, I'm a noob! I've been looking aroung this board for sometime with grand ideas, and less than stellar ability. However, I recently got my hands on a POS Dell and thought...Great excuse to play around!

So here's my first project log. It's not 100% thought out, so any advice or suggestions are welcome.

Mission:

To integrate a PC into an hierloom rolltop desk with as little damage to the desk as possible. The biggest trick will be to make it so I can swap the little Board for a full size ATX at some point.

Okay, so this is what I have to work with:

Celeron 2.4 Ghz processor
    -Based on the 0.13 micron Northwood core
    -400MHz FSB, 8KB L1 cache and 128KB L2 cache running at core speed (256-bit L2 cache bus)
    -Socket 478
    Dell 2400 Mother Board
    Dell PSU
    512MB Corsair + 256 Dell Memory
    Sony CDRW
    WD 40GB Hard Drive

Dell No Name Mother Board
    [​IMG]

This is the only written info on the board (Check the purple pointer...I did get a 512 Mb PC3200 Value Select RAM!)
    [​IMG]

Dell PSU!! 200W !!!
    [​IMG]

The wires that needed to be extended were:
    1. Fan
    2. Power Switch, power LED and HDD activity LED
    3. Main Power
    4. 12v cord
    5. Extra Intel thing

So after a little clipping, cutting and stripping...
    [​IMG]

My shrink wrap was for crap, and I couldn't find electrical tap...So Tadda hot glue! (kids, please do not try this at home)
    [​IMG]

And here are the results of the test fitting:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wires will end up behind the cubbies (I think that section can be pulled out seperatly, I hope).
    I will more than likely make a plexi/acrylic front to enclose the portion of mobo that sticks out past the enclosure.

2. KillaH

KillaH What's a Dremel?

i dont think that's the place to put your mother board, even temporary

but i like the idea of a computer in a desk

3. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

The slot under the PSU cubby looks like a better option for the Mobo.

Also, will the CD-Rom fit next to the PSU, can't tell 100%, but it looks like it may just squeeze in there... Regardless, your HD surely will fit next to the PSU. :thumb:

This could be very slick...

4. Cyric

Cyric What's a Dremel?

It should be Okay :worried:

The slot under the PSU is too small to fit it in with the Heatsink, also I want to upgrade to a real Mobo in the near future!

As for the drives...I think they will fit, I'm just concered about all the heat in such a confined area (plus the IDE cables don't reach that far). You've got the right idea though! If I can get some good air flow and some longer IDE's that's where there going!

5. ErrOnReq

ErrOnReq What's a Dremel?

The mobo should be fine there. As long as you don't have any pets or kids that might poke at it. I have computers sitting on desks and tables without cases all the time. My cat knows not to step on them ;)

6. TRob

TRob What's a Dremel?

See you in the next LAN party :thumb:

7. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

Hmm, I would definately look into some way to hold everything in its place. I bet you could use acrylic to make shelves, and a colored or opaque acrylic for faceplates and also the backplate on the motherboard. I'm not a fan of computers and wood together but it looks like you have found a spot to make it work. Also, ventilation might be an issue in those tight spots unless the back of the desk is open, or you have fans back there I can't see.

PLEEEEEEEASE do something about the wiring. Don't let it sit there with all that hot glue dripping averywhere. Any skill you have goes right out the window when I see that. I know it takes skill to get wiring right, but that screams noob at me. I hope that was just a temp solution to get it running.

8. Cyric

Cyric What's a Dremel?

Yes...very temporary :D

I thought I had the supplies needed, but I couldn't find anything anywhere.

9. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

:hehe:

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

That heatsink does need a fan.... I'm pretty sure. My old dell system had a similar setup but had some shrouded case fan blowing on it (or maybe even sucking hot air off of it...)

That "we were too lazy to solder on the AGP slot" is a nice touch lol

11. Cyric

Cyric What's a Dremel?

I'm thinkin' a LAN party may be out...unless I'm hosting that is!

If you look close, there is a fan balanced on top of the Video and keyboard/mouse cables blowing directly down on the heat sink. It's not quite as direct as a tube; however, it's just temp like most everything else.

I didn't lol when I opened it up and saw that :grr: . But now I have decided it's just one more reason to upgrade :D

12. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

If you look close, there is a fan balanced on top of the Video and keyboard/mouse cables blowing directly down on the heat sink. It's not quite as direct as a tube; however, it's just temp like most everything else.

Oh... yeah I can't see it at all.

I didn't lol when I opened it up and saw that :grr: . But now I have decided it's just one more reason to upgrade :D

Well of course you didn't, I meant it's nice of dell. Save two cents to annoy the hell out of the buyer... :wallbash: Yeah, upgrading that would be nice. Or just search out an x800xt in a PCI bus lol

13. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

ha ha ha ha looks great, like the idea, hope it works, mod the desk!!!! (i know you don't want too but come on try it!!!