1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Router - Finished 02/11/2003

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Hippo, 17 Sep 2003.

1. Hippo

Hippo Pre-dates 5.25" Floppies

Well Its time for me to do another project and Ive decided to build a dedicated PC for internet sharing. My PC normally does this Job but I want to move the load off it.

The spec for the router is quite minimal:-

AMD K6-2 450@500
    128 Meg Ram
    4GB HDD

Thats about it. No CD or floppy (Only use a CD-ROM to install OS from). Also this thing will normally run without a keyboard or monitor, I'll access it via VNC.

Now I had to decide what case to install it into. I chose an an aluminium case from B&Q (US read DIY store :lol: ), you know the type. Yes I know every man and his dog has modded one of these :sigh: but I havent.

Anyway on to the piccies.....

Heres a side on pic showing the case with 2 panel buttons installed. One of these is momentary and the other is latching since the power supply is AT

[​IMG]

Better view of the buttons

[​IMG]

The other side showing the IEC socket, VGA, PS2 and the hole for the AT keyboard.

[​IMG]

The inside showing the Motherboard, PSU and cut-from-old-case HDD cage. I added small L-brakets to the cage so I could attach it to the case.

[​IMG]

Close up on the buttons

[​IMG]

I removed some of the foam padding on the inside to help me make the holes cleaner for IEC, VGA etc

[​IMG]

What else does the project have to offer ? Well I want to route the cables nicely in some sort of sleeving, I havent decided on what yet. Will be making a custom IDE cable (maybe). Will be adding a window/green illumination and a couple of fans, hopefully that will set the project apart from the rest.

Comments ?

Last edited: 2 Nov 2003
  2. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

Very nice work indeed. Only problem is that you can get a 'router' thats the size of a lunchbox these days. Still love your work...keep it up!

3. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Have you had it running without the keyboard yet? I'm just checking since a lot of motherboards (especially older ones) won't boot without a keyboard.

If that's the case then you can always hack apart an old keyboard and just connect the controller circuitry to the keyboard port :)

4. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

nice very very very clean I like it. :clap:

5. Hippo

Yeah the mobo ran as a personal web server for a few months with no keyboard :)

6. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Good stuff :thumb:

7. Hyjnx

Hyjnx What's a Dremel?

i like it...kinda like Zaps LAN PC that its portible and functional...just not as flashy...looks good

8. kwel

kwel What's a Dremel?

that's real smart mate - love those green buttons! :rock:

kwel

9. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

you see the psu i want to know if it sok to run the psu out of its casinging like that with no fan near it ?

10. Hippo

Time for an update me thinks....

Heres how the inside looks now. I've used flexible plastic piping (not sure of its real name) to route most of the wires though. Mains cable, Mobo Power and IDE cable are all routed with this stuff.

[​IMG]

A couple of low profile NIC's kindly donated by a friend from another forum (Thanks Hopon if your reading this :) ). Tops cut off and hole drilled through the plate for screw fixing.

[​IMG]

I removed all the other power cables to unclutter the design. However I will need to power a CDROM and FDD when setting this up so...

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

Help things swimmingly :)

Now for the sad part :grr: After a couple of removals of the HSF this happened

[​IMG]

If you dont see it at first, the lug has broken off the Zif socket :(. I considered a few solutions to this, but decided that the best option was to use thermal adhesive to bond a Heatsink to the CPU :hehe: . So I decided to hack a Socket A Heatsink so it would fit on the CPU and still allow me to operate the Zif arm.

[​IMG]

Im still waiting for the thermal adhesive to arrive so I can do this.

Heres the 2 NIC's from outside

[​IMG]

Next is a fan controller, with the design based around one from acrimonious. 1 Button selects either 12V, preset voltage, 0V. Preset voltage is generated from a LM317 and can be adjusted to suit. I may add a little extra to this at some point.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the blurryness of the next pic. This is an analogue meter with a FSD of 100 uA. Ive added a resistor and a custom legend with scales 12V, 7V and 0V. It should tell me what voltage the fans are running at.

[​IMG]

Till next time :lol:

11. Hippo

It will have a fan - eventually :)

12. Cyberbob:-)

Cyberbob:-) Minimodder

Looking very nice.. :D A good clean job so far.

How much did you pay from B&Q for that box?????

I've the other only person who hasn't modded one of these... :p

Are you planning in putting a window?

Keep up the good work....happy :dremel: :dremel:

13. Hippo

It was £10.98 from B&Q :)

Yeah I'm planning on a window, just havent finalised the design yet.

And I've just notice how close you live to me....

Im in Tipton :)

14. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

This must be the cleanest suitcase mod I've seen around so far. I definetely like it!

15. Cyberbob:-)

Cyberbob:-) Minimodder

I tell you Hippo this is a small world.

There are people from All over the world on this Forum. You have people from all over the USA, Sri Lanka, Germany you name it we have them.

And then there are people from Tipton, Dudley, Halesowen & wolverhampton.

The midlands must be the modding capital of the world.... :D
    As well as Texas(a lot are from there too).

I saw those cases the other day, they didn't have a price on them. Now i know....Thanks mate. Might just have to get one

Can't wait to see updates

16. Hippo

Did a little work on the Heatsink before I thermally bond it to the CPU :eeek:

[​IMG]

I now have 2 tubes of Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive and I should be bonding tomorrow :)

17. penski

penski BodMod

Much more aesthetically pleasing than a green box held together by hot glue and LEDs :)

*n

18. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

Hear hear!..... Only wish that you got the NIC holes inline, would have looked *cleaner*....still shame on the ZIF socket.... :waah:

19. Hippo

Yeah I thought that about the NIC holes too, but there different brands with the connectors at different heights. But they were free :D

20. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Eh, I just picked up 2 half-height nics for $4 a peice over across the pond....

They are nice, have 2 running in servers at the moment :D

Looks good!