1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project : RubixX (June 7th - Case Structure 1)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Guest-23315, 26 Apr 2007.

1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

**Not so sure about name, any suggestions?**

Hello all. :toast:

This project is going to be a fully custom semi-cube (namely basically cubic, but not exactly :naughty: ). Its going to be made, as the name suggest, out of mainly Wood and Metal, with Water being used for cooling. The Plan is to have all of the insides built from metal to aid cooling, and then having a 'second skin' of 12mm mahogony around the outside to give the correct looks. The metal parts will all be bolted together, while I havn't decided hot to get all the wood together. Also, all the wood is going to be professionally milled on a Boxford CNC Wood Machine.
    So, lets start then shall we...

The Front Design

(all CAD done on iMac using Cobalt)

[​IMG]

Thats how the front started out a few days ago. Now, after an afternoon of CAD we have....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Materials

For the wood, I'm planning on using pale Mahoganny, 5mm for the front plate, and 12 for the side panels ect. As for the metal, i'm using 3mm sheet, and 3mm right angle bars for rigidity. All of this should be cut by tommorow after-noon, so i can get tapping. ohh what fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Hardware

For the actuall parts, there are only 4 things i'm sure of, and they are an Aquacomputer Aquatube G1/4" in silver, a Black ICE GT Stealth 120.2, a Samsung DVD-RW and an Aquero USB in blue, using either 3/8" or 8/10mm compression fitting.

The Timescale

I want to get all of the panels ect. machined by the 30th of June, so i can spend the rest of the summer putting it together ect.

Next Update

As i've said before, i'm hoping to update again tommorow with a fully done front panel and the various bits of metal having been cut.

Thanks.

AJ.

**Sorry about image sizing, will try to alter**

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Jul 2007
  2. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Nice drawings Manks. Looks promising! Could I have some rough dimensions?

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Sure.

Its 34cm deep, 34cm high and 31mm wide, and thats including wood. Its being designed to take a BI-GT 2 on the front 120mm fans, and still have enought room for an 8800 GTX. However, i'll have to see how long those X2900XTX cards are going to be. Its alos supposed to take upto 3 HDD's on the other 120mm fan, but there should be space for atleast 7 in the end, even though i'm only going to be using 3 of them.

4. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

hey mankz looks like you got yourself a project good luck!

5. casey_cole

casey_cole New Member

3mm sheet metal! I really hope you mean ally, not steel - or you are going to be working really hard :p

CC

6. ezland00

ezland00 New Member

looking good, keep it up

7. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Hehe, looking good M8y, I take it your school lets you use their CAD machines then :)

Also the wood idea looks promising, are you going to be finishing it with anything ?

8. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

your off to a good start..BUT-- I would resize those pictures..
    I post mine at 675X450.. Bit-tech does not like BIG pictures..
    now we what MORE!!! :hehe:

9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Thanks people.

Yep, its 3mm aluminium, not Steel. For the wood, I'll think about making a small 'tester' over the next few days to see how it all comes out. All i really want to do to it is to danish oil the hole lot.

Modsquad @ Pics have been done to your demands :thumb: .

Last edited by a moderator: 27 Apr 2007
  10. cr3ativ3

cr3ativ3 New Member

hm.. i also like wood mods, so i'll be watching this!

keep us posted!
    regards

11. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I like both aluminum and wood, so this should be good. What the heck is up with the last image? there's the windows-image-app-bar on the bottom? o_O

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Sorry people, no update tonight. Instead of doing actual 'modding' I was talking to my teachers about how I can do certain things. Anyway, I've got all the cutting set out for tommorow, so the plan is to make the metal frame, and get it all taped up and bolted together.

Anyway, now its back to frech GCSE wrighting practise. Oh what fun.

13. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Hey guys.

I'm sorry, but once again I don't have an update. This is because i wasn't told until yesterday that the design department is closed for GCSE work only this weekend. Anyway, this gives me a day of football, followed by choosing my parts!

14. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

**Ignore!**

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Jun 2007
  15. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

**Ignore!**

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Jun 2007
  16. Claws

Claws New Member

Very nice, so far.

Where do I get the Cobalt thingy? :p
    Looks pretty good, plain and simple to work with

17. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Its quite expensive IIRC.

18. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Update 1 - Rear Panel 1

Sorry, this all got pushed under the mat becuase of GCSE's.

Anyway, I started today by cutting up some 13mm solid aluminium bars. Instead of using a hand saw and file, I used this :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its a water-cooled metal saw that rotates to cut at 45* or 90* and leaves a very nice, clean finish. :thumb:

[​IMG]

After cutting the bars, I didn't have time to drill an tap the corners ect. so I thought I would put it together to show you.

[​IMG]

to show the dimensions, thats a 30cm ruler. The dimensions have changed because it would have been a bit of a squeeze but with the new larger dimensions, I have the felxibility to use different parts.

[​IMG]

The bars going across the back will be mounted in different places. I'm planning on using a NexXxos Pro II rev2. or a PA120.2 and a BIX. I'm not sure on hardware though.

There should be another update on saturday :clap:

19. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

looking good!

20. Teyber

Teyber ******

how much does the completely thick metal cost!?!?!?