1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: SE7ENTH COLUMN February 08 2009 [UPDATE: March 5 2009]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by slisgrinder, 8 Feb 2009.

1. slisgrinder

slisgrinder Minimodder

Hey guys,

This is the official worklog for the SE7ENTH COLUMN scratch build PC case. Now that I have parts flowing in at a steady pace, here are the first few pics for the electronics portion of the case.

Drum roll please...(drum roll in the background)...presenting the Sanguino, Arduino's big brother :rock::

[​IMG]

Also, its USB to TTL PCB:

[​IMG]

and the safety portion of the build, Optoendstops to make sure that no moving part goes beyond its respective safe limit:

[​IMG]

The USB to TTL pcb attached to the Sanguino:

[​IMG]

All these parts are from the RepRap Research Foundation store (Thanks RRRF!!!).
    I have 25 high torque servos coming along with some new tools such as a new soldering iron as the one I have gets too hot, the new one has an auto temp control embedded in it...Once 3 more sanguinos arrive along with 3 more USB to TTL pcbs, I will solder them and put up the pics. The only sad thing about this is that I am going to breadboard it, then later when I have a bit more funds, I will pcb the entire electronics "control center".

And here is my fancy work bench:thumb::

[​IMG]

Stay tuned for more updates along the way...
    Mod on:rock:

Last edited: 8 Feb 2009
  2. slisgrinder

slisgrinder Minimodder

Oh, I almost forgot, the to be integrated into case speakers, The Logitech Z-5500:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am going to put the above woofer int the front of the case so that when you press the magical button on the front, this beast comes to life and rolls out of its protective cocoon to show its true colors in the Low frequency world of rumble... the front/center/right satellites will be integrated into the case the surround will be external...

Mod on:rock:...

3. slisgrinder

slisgrinder Minimodder

Speaker test:

Any test songs (and they have to be songs) that anyone wants me to test on these speakers and post a video up, please let me know and I will gladly do so :D (an excuse I can live with to bug my neighbors:thumb:)...

Oh and the above video, you can watch in Hidef on youtube...
    Open to all criticism...

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

An internal subwoofer? How big is this case going to be? It sounds like it might be self-propelled too...

5. slisgrinder

slisgrinder Minimodder

I was thinking of having a jet turbine generator, but that is not feasible...but seriously, the case is 60cm wide || 100cm high || 150cm long...It is after all going to hold 5 full sized (extended ATX) Mobos and their respective liquid cooling loops...

6. slisgrinder

slisgrinder Minimodder

Quick update guys:

just got some 3 more Sanguinos and their respective USB to TTL to PCBs...as well as my new soldering iron [Its AWESOME!!!] and 5 breadboards:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soldering has greatly improved as you can tell from the following pictures below thanks to the new soldering iron. My old one got too hot and pretty much burned everything, this one is set to a comfortable 350 Deg C but I think my soldering wire has too much flux since it tends to splatter a bit...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what my other soldering iron did:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well thats it and will be back as soon as I am done soldering together the sanguinos and the USB to TTL PCBs... Oh and I ordered the eVGA inDtube USB TV tuner, I am so psycked for it to get here!!!

SLS1337 out:thumb:...

Last edited: 15 Feb 2009
  7. slisgrinder

slisgrinder Minimodder

another quick update:

Sanguinos with their USB to TTL chip plugged in to the sanguinos for power and real time serial communication:

[​IMG]

I used some leftover thermal compound from my Zalman 8800 ultra aftermarket cooler for the heat sink on the voltage regulators:

[​IMG]

small question, what is the alligator clip for on the soldering iron?

[​IMG]

8. turboshifter

turboshifter What's a Dremel?

ESD protection perhaps?

9. slisgrinder

slisgrinder Minimodder

maybe, maybe its even ground...

10. slisgrinder

slisgrinder Minimodder

Good news and bad news...

Bad news: I had to cancel the order of the 25 servos from DX because of tight budgeting
    Good news: Now I get my money back and can get stuff for my CNC mill. I will buy the servos later once I get all my parts machined out...

11. slisgrinder

slisgrinder Minimodder

Ok, mini update,

Got my new eVGA tv tuner, as well I partially assembled my 360 after 2 years and got XBL to play Halo 3 multiplayer. its fun...

Chow...

12. slisgrinder

slisgrinder Minimodder

Ok, well, my parents threw me a B-Day party...YAY!!! It was fun also I got my order of 125 RGB common cathode LEDs...Pics to come after I get some shut eye...Also got some parts ordered for my CNC mill which this thread will dominate for the next month, after that I will post up the custom parts made by the CNC mill.

We have so much food left over from the party (we cooked at home for 60 people and since this is Indian cooking, its a full course meal/dinner, the only thing bought were the sweets) and its 1:40 am of the 28th (I believe that 12 midnight is my threshold before I collapse into deep sleep...

Well, time to go to dream about possible unrealistic yet realistic mods and hope for an idea to pop out...

13. slisgrinder

slisgrinder Minimodder

While I am still getting stuff done for this scratch-build, I also said that I was working on a CNC mill to along this project. Well, here is a small part of my design in progress:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

again, it is still in the design phase but the whole thing is made mostly out of hardware store parts and based on a design by another user - "little brute" by Fandz on cnczone

14. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

This looks interesting.

15. slisgrinder

slisgrinder Minimodder

mini Update:

I got the 100 bearings I ordered for the CNC as well as the pics of the RGB leds I said I would post along with a video of one of them in action:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

100 skate bearings:
    [​IMG]

Video:

Last edited: 6 Mar 2009