1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Seawolf, July 20. #40 Getting ready for Assembly Summer 2010!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Javerh, 21 Jan 2009.

1. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I agree with The boy 4rm oz, this is looking really special.

I was worried about the hard drive cooler, and the cardboard you were using, and of course the masking tape is horrible, but the first two you've already fixed and the last bit is only temporary so no problems :D

I am really looking forward to seeing the outside!

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

K9 from Doctor Who?:eyebrow:

It is hideous... but it's a good kind of hideous.

3. HaoKi

HaoKi Lleno de anguilas!

Have you peeled off the "skin" off the case yet? ;) You better get back to work on this!

I was actually really surprised to see this case in real life... It's actually alot bigger than I expected. :jawdrop:

Thanks for attending ASM09. It was great to see another "fresh" face at our booth. :thumb:

4. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Holy cow, I thought only gamers and sceners attended ASM - never thought casemodders had a place there. Were there any casemodding compos? Might be a perfect party for a scener/casemodder like me, then...

5. La carotte d l'o

La carotte d l'o New Member

MetkuMods has a booth at the lobby. There was engraving and if i understanded right Haoki and Jipa showed some scratch building and metalworks. I saw Haokis new build, but missed Seawolf, because we we're little short on time. Also there was coolest case competition but i don't know any results.

6. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

The skin is still on! :blush: I'll take a few days of vacation from modding, but then I'll get back on track.

The PSU position affects the size of the case quite much. I think I'll redo the PSU acrylic plates so I can get it to sit lower. :thumb:

Seawolf was perched on top of a shelf on my computer place at C5. There wasn't really that much to see yet, so I didn't take it to the Metku/Dremel booth with me.

[​IMG]

As you can see you can't really see anything except the white cathodes. :lol:

[​IMG]

Most of the lan party I was sitting at the booth helping with engraving acrylic.
    Picture is stolen from Metku.net's facebook-page.
    That's me in the dremel shirt with Jipa trying to stab me with a file.
    We take safety seriously! Very!

The pictures from the Coolest Case - competition should be somewhere, but I can't seem to find them at the moment.

7. HaoKi

HaoKi Lleno de anguilas!

Yea... We were working on two unfinished case-"skeletons" and I had two finished cases on display at the event.

We are trying hard to get the modding scene present at the party. The modding scene really hasn't shined for many years at the event, but we at Metku.net, hope that we'll be able to resurrect the scene as soon as possible...

Your not the only one that needs a few days break from building. :) I managed to sqeeze in two complete cases in time for Assembly. Besides... I think I may need some sleep :D

They can be hard to find :D

Last edited: 10 Aug 2009
  8. ultra_bogoss

ultra_bogoss I Know what a dremel is!

yeah nice con

9. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

they take saftey to the extreme! he is wearing 2 sets of glasses.

10. HaoKi

HaoKi Lleno de anguilas!

I'm glad that atleast one of us did :blush:

11. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Sorry about the silence. I'm currently drawing new acrylic parts for the case. It will still take a while.

[​IMG]

The new acrylic plates for the psu are mostly done. They still need some more mounting holes.

Hopefully, I can get the acrylic designs done this week and can continue with real modding next week. :thumb:

12. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

STABBY STABBY! Lol at the pic.

Get on with the project, damnit! I demand to see it finished.

13. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

#31 Hose clamping

Finally something worth updating!

[​IMG]

I was trying to lathefy some alu when the retaining stud in the tailstock broke. I replaced it with a M6 bolt. While I had the tailstock in bits and pieces, I filed some mating surface flat and chamfered some sharp edges. Now the tailstock slides much better on the ways.

[​IMG]

I also got a new quick change tool post from A2ZCNC. It's a real timesaver!

[​IMG]

Now for the real stuff. I've been thinking about what Unicorn said about herbie clamps way back in February. I think I have the solution. Clamptite makes a tool that allows one to use metal wire to clamp hoses. The tool looks nice, but I decided to try and make one myself. I cut a 12mm alu rod to 120mm length and drilled a 8.5mm hole in the center.

[​IMG]

I was planning on having the hole 80mm long, but as you can see I could only get as far as 78mm. Oh well. ;)

[​IMG]

I drilled a 2.5mm hole in the other end of the rod and cut a small groove on the end for the wire to go into. The hole edge was planned to be 18.75mm from the end of the rod. I managed to get to 18.77mm with the simple dremel drill press! Then I noticed that the original Clamptite tool has the front hole closer to the front. :eyebrow:

I put the 8.5mm drill inside the big hole and flipped the rod into the 3-jaw chuck to cut the nose taper.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the taper. I wanted to test how close I could get with the angle. Target was 7.333 degrees and I got to 7.13 degrees. If you haven't noticed, none of these measurements are critical in any way. I'm just practicing using the lathe. :dremel:

Next, I needed to cut slots on both sides of the rod. I first tried using the drill press but it didn't work out. On a round surface the the drill bit wanders too much.

[​IMG]

Plan B was to use a dremel with a cut off disc. It's messy but it works.

[​IMG]

I needed a turn rod for the end of the tool. I used the same 12mm alu rod as the body. The ends are faced and chamfered. The I chucked the piece in a 4-jaw chuck and drilled a small step in the side with a 13mm bullet drill bit. I also drilled a 6.8mm hole through.

[​IMG]

Then I cut a piece of M8 threaded rod and tapped the turn piece to match.

[​IMG]

I ground small flats on both sides of the threaded rod and drilled a 2.5mm hole through.

[​IMG]

For the nose of the tool I soldered a length of thin crome rod. The original tool uses roll pins for the rods.

[​IMG]

I fixed a second chrome rod in place on the threaded rod with the help of a short roll pin.

Now the tool is ready to be used.

[​IMG]

Making wire clamps is not as easy as it seems. This is my third attempt. It seems I need to practice some more.

Now, I have to get ready for another trip to the cottage. I have some fittings to bake! :D
    See you on Monday.

Last edited: 30 Aug 2009
    La carotte d l'o and Cheapskate like this.
  14. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

When I saw that first pic I thought is was some wacked out mallet lol. nice machining though :thumb:.

15. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:thumb: for building the tools you need.

16. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Tool user AND tool maker. Well met.

john

17. La carotte d l'o

La carotte d l'o New Member

+ rep for making your own tools. :) You're true modder!:rock:

18. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Thanks, guys! If you like diy-tools you're also going to like what I have in store for next week. I have an exam on Monday, but I think I can make a small update tomorrow.

19. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I see lots of pictures and lots of text, but I still have absolutely no idea how you actually use that... object. Good work anyway :D

20. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem